View Poll Results: Given that I am short on cash, what do you guys think I should do now?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the fabric over again plus some silicone and start anew (painting and sequins)?

0 0%
  • Make a fabric tail with a completely different (cheaper) fabric (painting and sequins, no silicone)?

1 25.00%
  • Make a fabric tail with a different fabric (no sequins, no painting on the tail body, no silicone)?

3 75.00%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Making a New Fabric Tail (purple and teal)!

The first side is done!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

Oh, btw did I mention that I have a time limit? This tail has to be done by Wednesday so that I can pack it for Project: Graduation (my school-sanctioned overnight trip to FunPlex) on Thursday night! o.O

I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    It looks like it is already done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    It looks like it is already done.

Oh, thank you! But I have some more planned for this baby. I want to add some spots to the tail body (which I will probably need a body form for) and I planned on adding some extra (realistic) fins. I was going to put them at the ankle like in my drawing, but that may be too much, so i may make them pectoral fins. I also want to add sequins. It's amazing what some basic, circular sequins can do for a fabric tail. If you haven't, you should see Courtney Mermaid's tails. I LOVE them! And, besides all that, I've still got to paint the other side!!

Holy carp it looks amazing so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Hydra1337 View Post
    Holy carp it looks amazing so far!
    Thank you!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Midwest
    Oh my gosh you are definitely doing a way better job than i will😭 That paint job is just stunning

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So great job!!!

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

Mom is letting me paint in the living room, so I've got to be extra careful! It's time to paint the other side and then put the finishing touches on this side (to make it look nicer and neater). Then I need to make a body form so that I can paint some spots on the tail body.

So, you know how you heat-set Createx by using an iron (with protective fabric in the middle) or a dryer or the like? Will that damage the holographic fabric?

The fluke looks like a stained-glass window. I love it!
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Midwest
    Im going to be heat setting my paint with a blow dryer on the highest setting for around 40 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidJaiden View Post
    Im going to be heat setting my paint with a blow dryer on the highest setting for around 40 minutes

Ok. Thanks.

If anybody is curious about materials, besides the Createx paint and airbrush, I'm also using these CHEAP craft paints from Walmart:
    And these two Elmer's Paint markers. I actually didn't use the white one on the other side, and I wish that I had because I am able to use it to create this 3D effect that kicks the tail of the other side:
    But using paint markers is really fun and easy. Once I swim-test this baby and see how the paint holds up, I'll go get them in a bunch of colors if they hold up well.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

(I hope you are testing everything on scraps!)

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Midwest
    Hey kali, could you tell me how you blended the black part on top? I have a blend in my design but i dont exactly know how i should do it :/

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidJaiden View Post
    Hey kali, could you tell me how you blended the black part on top? I have a blend in my design but i dont exactly know how i should do it :/

Yeah, I used an airbrush. That kind of faded, natural look is really only possible with an airbrush. I mean, you can accomplish something similar using a small paintbrush and scumbling or dry blending technique, but it's not quite the same.

I have been adding sequins to give my tail that extra POP and sparkle. This portion is inspired by the beautiful tails of Courtney Mermaid.
    By the way, my fluke design is inspired by Mermaid Raven. If, no, WHEN I finally save up enough money for a full silicone, I definitely want a Merbella's!

Wow Kali, your tail is so beautiful, I love all the details, the paint, patterns and colors. Its easy to tell you put everything into working on that tail, and it shows! It's been super fun to see it progress, and those sequins! They definitely bring it up to the next level! It looks so great!