Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Paint for a Silicone Tail?

What Paint for a Silicone Tail?

Hiya, wannabe tail maker here. I'm going to do a sample sheet of scales and cast them in plaster and then slip cast them with dragon skin silicone. Do I HAVE to use Psycho-Paint to paint my tail? Can't I just mix pigment into the remaining dragon skin and paint it on my tail?

you have to use more dragonskin mixed with powder-pigments (pearl X, perfect pearls, mica, ...) if you want to color your tail. then 'paint' on that mixture

Quote Originally Posted by Beebichu View Post
    Hiya, wannabe tail maker here. I'm going to do a sample sheet of scales and cast them in plaster and then slip cast them with dragon skin silicone. Do I HAVE to use Psycho-Paint to paint my tail? Can't I just mix pigment into the remaining dragon skin and paint it on my tail?
    What is slip casting?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

I mixed old eyeshadow I didn't need in my silicone, though I didn't use dragonskin, it worked really well, just putting that out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What kind of silicone are you using? Make sure it's platinum-cure and not tin-cure. The latter is toxic and will break down when exposed to water for extended periods of time. Check out the articles on the use of ALEX caulking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I mixed old eyeshadow I didn't need in my silicone, though I didn't use dragonskin, it worked really well, just putting that out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You can also thin the dragon skin with xylol or naptha. make sure you have good ventilation!

Sorry I wan't sure how else to say it. Slip casting is using liquid material to pour into or onto a mold.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    You can use psycho paints (those are for silicone right??) but most people do pigment the remaining silicone and use that. Do a small test first though as some pigments will inhibit curing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psycho paint is indeed meant for silicone. Thinning down the same silicone you've used to make the tail will work just as well.

Just make sure you paint as soon as possible. If you leave it too long, the paint job will be more prone to peeling off.

If you ever need to paint an older tail, you can thin down silpoxy and paint with that. It's a much more expensive method, but it won't peel off.

Quote Originally Posted by LouLouBelle View Post
    Psycho paint is indeed meant for silicone. Thinning down the same silicone you've used to make the tail will work just as well.

Just make sure you paint as soon as possible. If you leave it too long, the paint job will be more prone to peeling off.

If you ever need to paint an older tail, you can thin down silpoxy and paint with that. It's a much more expensive method, but it won't peel off.

Is it okay if I mix acrylic paint into my silicone (platinum grade from Smooth On) ?

Sent from my VS425PP using MerNetwork mobile app
    Mermaid Mikayla

I've never tried it myself, but I think you can. Just make sure you do a small test first so you don't ruin a large batch of silicone!

If the paint contains sulphur (many yellow pigments do) or ultramarine pigment, then that will inhibit the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by LouLouBelle View Post
    I've never tried it myself, but I think you can. Just make sure you do a small test first so you don't ruin a large batch of silicone!

If the paint contains sulphur (many yellow pigments do) or ultramarine pigment, then that will inhibit the cure.

Ok, thank you!

Mermaid Mikayla

Powdered pigments only! Liquid acrylic will not mix with the silicone. (Nothing water-based will. Never tried oil-based pigments though.) You'll get pockets of liquid paint in your silicone that will never dry, and will burst open leaving wet paint and little holes behind. Jacquard Pearl ex pigments are a good place to start, though other micas and powders will also work.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fish View Post
    Powdered pigments only! Liquid acrylic will not mix with the silicone. (Nothing water-based will. Never tried oil-based pigments though.) You'll get pockets of liquid paint in your silicone that will never dry, and will burst open leaving wet paint and little holes behind. Jacquard Pearl ex pigments are a good place to start, though other micas and powders will also work.
    How much is in the biggest container?

Mermaid Mikayla

Of the pigments? One regular sized bottle of any of the jacquard colors is usually enough for a whole tail. They also sell sample sizes in packages of multiple colors that will also last you along time.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Of the pigments? One regular sized bottle of any of the jacquard colors is usually enough for a whole tail. They also sell sample sizes in packages of multiple colors that will also last you along time.
    Thank you!

Mermaid Mikayla

I know when tinting silicone caulking for painting prosthetics you can use oil paints. Theoretically it would behave the same way if you tinted the silicone itself in part b before mixing it into part A.

I feel like we talked about it in class but my memory is shot.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app