Thread: Um will it work

Um will it work

I'm making a tail, later in the summer,(couple months probably)with my mom. And we are probably going to put a lot of flukes in it. Will this work? (The waves are supposed to be flukes, I had to sketch this in like 2 sec.)

​And she yearned,
    yearned to run like a wolf,
    and yearned to swim,
    swim like a fish, and be herself...
    ​A Mermaid.

I'm confused. Will what work? What do you mean a lot of flukes? Like, multiple monofins? What are you asking?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidBrandie View Post
    I'm confused. Will what work? What do you mean a lot of flukes? Like, multiple monofins? What are you asking?

This tail with flukes in those areas on the tail.
    ​And she yearned,
    and yearned to swim,
    ​A Mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Slaney View Post
    This tail with flukes in those areas on the tail.
    When you say "flukes" do you mean all the ruffly bits? Because a fluke is the bottom fin that propels you. So when people talk about a fluke they just basically they're monofin or the silicone cover that goes on the monofin.

If you mean the ruffles then yes, ruffles will work and are fairly common on fabric tails.

Store Blog

When you say "flukes" do you mean all the ruffly bits? Because a fluke is the bottom fin that propels you. So when people talk about a fluke they just basically they're monofin or the silicone cover that goes on the monofin.

If you mean the ruffles then yes, ruffles will work and are fairly common on fabric tails.

Yeah i meant that. Thanks though! I keep having questions 'cause this is my first tail...
    ​And she yearned,
    and yearned to swim,
    ​A Mermaid.

I would pop over to the tailmaking questions subforum. They cover a lot of basic questions in there.

The main thing to remember about fabric tails is to get the right fabric. Spandex is most common, though I've used a two way stretch sequin fabric before. Just make sure you have the stretch go up and down (so it can stretch when you bend you knees) and no side to side. Typically people make the ruffly bits from chiffon, more spandex, or fringe trim.

Store Blog

I would pop over to the tailmaking questions subforum. They cover a lot of basic questions in there.

The main thing to remember about fabric tails is to get the right fabric. Spandex is most common, though I've used a two way stretch sequin fabric before. Just make sure you have the stretch go up and down (so it can stretch when you bend you knees) and no side to side. Typically people make the ruffly bits from chiffon, more spandex, or fringe trim.

Thanks! you've been a lot of help! My next questin was actually going to be what kind of fabric, so thanks :-)
    ​And she yearned,
    and yearned to swim,
    ​A Mermaid.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    If you are making it out of fabric- Lycra spandex is the way to go. If you shop a Joanne's you can go to the 'swimsuit' or 'swimwear' section and it should have everything you need fabric wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on INSTAGRAM @
    Creations and fun things: Ashton.Designs

TailsAndTiaras.com

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Don't bother with two-way stretch fabrics. It can be done, but it's complicated. I'd only recommend two-way if you're an accomplished seamstress.

And while looking at fabric at Jo-Ann's, also check the Performance Fabrics section.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Don't bother with two-way stretch fabrics. It can be done, but it's complicated. I'd only recommend two-way if you're an accomplished seamstress.

And while looking at fabric at Jo-Ann's, also check the Performance Fabrics section.
    Yes I didn't use it until I had a few four way tails under my belt

Store Blog

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    A lot of people seem to confuse the word "flukes" for fins heehee XD I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, I had organza & chiffon (synthetic) fins all over my first tail!

A recommendation I can make for fin fabrics: spandex fins seem to create more drag than chiffon & organza.

My preferred sheer fin material is actually cheap sheer curtains from Wal-Mart! They cost less than the same amount of material purchased from the fabric store or counter, and are MUCH more durable than all the fashion sheers I've used!

My first fluke (fashion sheer) got totally destroyed when I got to go swimming for a few days (first time tailswimming), so I replaced it with sheer curtains and have been swimming with that with no damage

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)