Thread: Mermaid Royal Family Tree?

Mermaid Royal Family Tree?

Hi, everyone! how are you doing? I know that it has been a while since my last post, but due to school and stuff, I finally now have time to post. Okay. I'm trying to create a Mermaid Royal Family Tree, but I'm stuck on what to name my characters and the underwater kingdom. Originally, Versailles de Dolphin was the first name for my underwater kingdom, but I don't like the name that much anymore. Does anyone get any name ideas for my underwater kingdom? I'm also stuck on some character names to... but Sonata is the main character and loves her parents who are both unnamed. Thanks for helping me!

I would use a name that describes it in a positive way (how beautifiul it is, etc.)

When I create names, I usually inspire them by a word I pick in another language. Quite a few of the characters and cities in my novel that I'm writing have Latin names that describe them.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora Celestia View Post
    When I create names, I usually inspire them by a word I pick in another language. Quite a few of the characters and cities in my novel that I'm writing have Latin names that describe them.
    Can you show me some examples, please?

I personally would pick either danish or aramaic names/titles, or maybe a mix of both! The little mermaid took place in Denmark, and one of the first places that mermaids showed up in history was the ancient Assyria. One of the goddesses turned herself into a mermaid out of shame for killing her human lover.

danish names: https://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/danish

Aramaic names: http://www.babynames.net/all/aramaic

Both languages sound really beautiful. Hope I could help!

Quote Originally Posted by shineefan67 View Post
    Can you show me some examples, please?
    Sure. Petrosa is a mountain city, so I used the Latin word for "stony". One of my characters is a fiery redhead, so I named him Rufus, or "red".
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Sure. Petrosa is a mountain city, so I used the Latin word for "stony". One of my characters is a fiery redhead, so I named him Rufus, or "red".
    Okay. What is the Latin word for "light" or "water?"

Quote Originally Posted by shineefan67 View Post
    Okay. What is the Latin word for "light" or "water?"
    Light is "lux" and water is "aqua". Another light-related name is Clara, which means "bright".

I usually go for a random nationality or mythological names. I also take names from videogames I play since I lean more towards fantasy MMORPG's. The game Aion has endless NPC's and ALL OF THEM have names.

deviantArt
    Etsy
    (Now offering custom tail designs!)

Light is "lux" and water is "aqua". Another light-related name is Clara, which means "bright".
    Clara is very interesting. I'll take it for one of the female queens.