Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Footpockets & Comfort

Mahina Footpocket update: I went swimming with my friend and I think I have fixed my Mahina with the cutting I did to it. We still used socks with it, but I felt zero discomfort! It was so nice! I think we almost swam for 3 hours! The only issue I had was going back and forth between that and my Rapid. My friend would use the Mahina for a while and I would use the Rapid, then trading off was weird. The Mahina feels like nothing is on your feet compared to the Rapid which you definitely know is on, but I felt like I was getting better push from the Rapid where as I felt like I couldn't stay under as long with the Mahina. I do however think this is due to what others have been saying about the Mahina being a different fin - Floppier, makes you do the correct movement more, etc. I am more used to the Rapid so I am still trying to figure out the Mahina, but man it is great to have solved the footpocket issue.

Let me know if any of you want photos of how I altered the monofin for reference.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I am curious, if it isn't too much trouble. I'm glad you made it work for you.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Okay here are some pictures of how I altered the Mahina:
    This is the top view showing how I slightly cut away at the top. I cut it to curve around the bone on the top of my foot because previously it was pressing down on that bone too much. I instantly felt a relief of pressure when I cut this area away then gave it a test swim.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  581.2 KB

Here are some side views to show how I cut a 'dip down' area in the straps. When I cut the top I wasn't too worried about cutting in the right location, but for the side I really made sure I was cutting away where my ankle is. The straps were just too close to my ankle bone which was causing rubbing.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  445.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  373.6 KB

Here are my feet in the monofin.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  465.1 KB

Then this photo shows my ankle that got a blister and it is almost fully healed now. Sorry for showing my wound haha but I think it helps show where exactly the rubbing was happening and how I trimmed the strap down to keep it away from this area of my foot.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  605.0 KB

Once again I used a sharpie to mark where to cut with a hot knife and after cutting I went back and smoothed out the edges. For the top I cut away in small increments. For the straps I just did it all in one cut. Also, I tried to be symmetrical. I'm sure I could have been more meticulous about it, but I just eyed it.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Cool. Thanks for sharing this!

The Mahina is made of Latex? I had been wanting one for a while but since I have large and wide feet I know I'll have to cut the pockets and if my skin coming into contact with the latex on the outside won't be bad, I know the latex on the inside will be.

Also I have the Rapid, I've used it in both of my tails now and I always assumed it was my technique that made swimming with it so choppy, like I was loosing momentum at my ankles and the fin wasn't translating it into enough propulsion

They promote it as natural rubber. Like the word natural diffuses any kind of reaction or danger. But natural rubber, no matter what you call it, IS latex. Also, sometimes, if you leave it alone, the surface curing makes it tolerable to use. But the second you cut into it, the bits and pieces that have not been smoothed get into your skin, and aggravate any sensitivity you may have. Not everyone does. And it might not be an issue for lots of people. But a latex allergy is a natural reaction for a natural product. It sucks. Because I LOVE those fins. I just think there should be more transparency in medical and industry terminology. Natural does NOT mean safe for everyone. And ANY product that claims to be so is lying.

All that said, I still have 2 of them. I use dive socks with them, and it's fine. I also use the largest size, because they ARE wider. The length of the pocket doesn't really matter. You have to make it not cut into your arches and sides of your feet. The latex does eventually stretch too. I worry that cutting the pockets too much will eventually make them too unstable. I don't have any other kind of monofin yet, because I read a LOT before deciding on the mahina. I am only considering the Luna because it is non allergenic for me. But if the propulsion isn't there, it won't work for me either. I came by my latex allergy honestly. I earned it! LOL. I used to make facial appliances for costumes out of liquid latex, on my actual skin. Most people are probably not going to be so affected by the mahina. That's probably why they don't really mention it.

I'm having kind of the same problem with the feeling on my feet with the rapid monofin. Personally, it does feel pretty secure, but the ankle straps are the things not allowing me to bend/move as much? idk but maybe thats the problem?????

Maybe it is the ankle straps. I noticed it was better the second time I used the fin, perhaps I'm just adjusting to the stiffness a little at a time. Also felt like I had much better energy/propulsion without my neoprene socks!

If anyone here would like a recommendation for a very comfortable monofin, I have the Subgear Trygons M1 competitor and it is one of the most comfy competitors out there. The foot pockets are super soft and comfy. Swam around in it for an hour and I had NO discomfort whatsoever. No pain, no blisters, nothing. Great propulsion as well.

I also like my hydra monofin a lot, never gave me any discomfort either.

I once tried a finis competitor, couldn't stand the feeling after only five minutes. But in hindsight it was a bit too snug for me.