Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Tail Appreciation Thread

Littlesiren, your fluke design is very interesting, I can't wait to see what you make, I really like how you chose to add those bits hanging off the tail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by A_Koi_Mermaid View Post
    Attachment 38318

My Finfun and Unlimited_Beta's Suntail, chilling at the pool. <3
    I love the new finfuns! I hope they do more like these!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    Mermaid version of Super Sonico (but not as naked as the statue)
    I <3 <3 <3 Super Sonico!!!!!

I already have that statue of mermaid Sonico (still need to take a pic of it for my collection page)

I've been lurking the forums for a while and haven't seen this idea tossed around... I might have missed it, but here it goes, anyway:

I see a lot of people talking about wanting a more realistic look with fabric tails - scales, more specifically. Has anyone thought of trying fake flower petals? You can buy them in bulk, they're relatively cheap, they give you a lot of colour options, as well as different shapes, textures, and fabrics. Maybe they can even be waterproofed or ... something? I don't know. But they'd give the look of scales, and I think they'd help hide legs/knees/ankles/etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Claricia View Post
    I've been lurking the forums for a while and haven't seen this idea tossed around... I might have missed it, but here it goes, anyway:

I see a lot of people talking about wanting a more realistic look with fabric tails - scales, more specifically. Has anyone thought of trying fake flower petals? You can buy them in bulk, they're relatively cheap, they give you a lot of colour options, as well as different shapes, textures, and fabrics. Maybe they can even be waterproofed or ... something? I don't know. But they'd give the look of scales, and I think they'd help hide legs/knees/ankles/etc..
    That is an AMAZING idea. Would you mind if I tried this sometime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Mia View Post
    That is an AMAZING idea. Would you mind if I tried this sometime?

I'm all for sharing ideas. It isn't something I've been able to test out yet, but I can't imagine it not being worth a try. I'd imagine you'd get more movement with the petals, in comparison to silicone scales, too, and less weight. You could use them to hide seams, sew them on in patches (like those tights that have patches of silicone scales attached to sheer pantyhose,) mix up the colors, etc.. And because they're fabric, they're easier to reshape, modify, dye, and embellish. I think it'd be really fun to try out.

That sounds like a pretty interesting idea, whoever tries this please post pics ^.^
    Formerly known as MermaidSasha

Darn, I wish I still had the giant amounts of fake Aspen leaves leftover from my wedding! WHY did I make a wreath instead of a mermaid tail?! D:

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/CelaenoTheS...6460930895142/

I took my first ever tail out for a test swim! It's made out of a couple pairs of leggings and needs a lot of tweaking, but I'm overall pleased with how it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Claricia View Post

Wow! Yeah, this is a really cool idea. If anyone gets to trying this before I do, please post photos.

I am so happy I found this thread!!! I have just begun my mermaid journey and at first I was going to just buy a silicone tail right off the bat. But hearing that I should start on a fabric to get use to the swim style and build up the correct muscles before going into the heavier silicone tail, and now seeing how much people LOVE their fabric tails...I am so happy that I ordered my first fabric tail!

I do a lot of modeling, which is why I convinced myself that I needed the silicone, to look more real. But hearing how much you all love your fabric tails and all the pros that come with a fabric tail, I think if you get the right accessories, a fabric tail can be just as beautiful as a silicone one 💖

I am super excited for my tail to come in and I am so happy to find so many mers that prefer the fabric to silicone ❤

As there a tutorial or thread that details adding extra fins to fabric tails? I am starting to cut mine out and i have scraps I can't use for anything else and I'd like to add a dorsal and hip fins.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    As there a tutorial or thread that details adding extra fins to fabric tails? I am starting to cut mine out and i have scraps I can't use for anything else and I'd like to add a dorsal and hip fins.
    Yes! Search Stella the Siren on YouTube. Her fabric tails are gorgeous and she has a tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Chrissa View Post
    Yes! Search Stella the Siren on YouTube. Her fabric tails are gorgeous and she has a tutorial.

Is there any way to add on tail flair without taking apart the tail?

Or would it be easier to just make a tail from scratch at that point?

It is possible. I added some sequin mesh streamers to the end of my finfun and attempted to add heel fins. I'm not sure exactly how I would add side fins.

I think it would probably be easier to sew and add more fins to a new tail.

I got a waterway monofin, so, I plan to sew my next tail from scratch and follow Stella's tutorial. We will see if I change my mind about what's easier. Lol

Ooooooooooo!!!😍
    Do you have an up close shot of the streamers?! They look beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Nigma View Post
    Ooooooooooo!!!
    Do you have an up close shot of the streamers?! They look beautiful!
    I have been asked that a lot, so I really need to take a closeup photo. Lol I'll try to remember to take one and post it

Please do!!! It's absolutely beautiful and I'd love to see how you did it 😍🌊

When I add my fins I don't take apart any seams at all. I've added hip fins, two sets of ankle fins, a set of fins that goes around the sides of my fluke (I'm not quite sure how to describe those ones) and the only one I haven't sewn on yet is a dorsal, and that's only because of time restraints. You just have to be very careful where you sew them. I think if you made a tail from scratch, depending on the types of fins you'd want, it would actually be harder.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast