Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Tail Appreciation Thread

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    What I like about fabric tails, is how easy I find it to make one. I get bored of the design, I buy new fabric and make more. I suck at painting though, so I keep an eye out for good Spandex fabrics to use.

Go go fabric tails!

All my tails I have are fabric. As I use crushed (stretch) velvet, they feel like a dolphin/sealskin when wet

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest Goldie's Avatar
    LuV This Thread!

Here Is the final version of my fabric tail that I worked on all summer. <3

Last edited by Goldie; 08-12-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    You are not a drop in the whole ocean, You are the whole ocean in a drop. -Rumi

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    My first tail, My beautiful blue, with side fins, and fluke ruffle.
    Name:  547759_171131396340334_529626318_n[1].jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  59.9 KB
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

After taking my tail to several events and photoshoots, I can say that I LOVE fabric. No need for my fiance to go with me to different places. Want to switch locations? Take off the tail and put it back on. I think that it is simple and elegant. Some may not like fabric, but I think it's great.

Name:  small.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  79.6 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    My Aloha Tail, I named it that because of the fabric that I bought, it was called, Aloha Orange.

I have worn it twice to the pool. I tried with just the monofin, it felt different, and kinda boring!

I've been thinking if I really want to have neoprene tail made by a local wetsuit business. But it will be worn only for warmth in the indoor swimming pool, I don't swim in natural areas, not sure if its really worth the A$200 price tag.

Name:  Aloha Tail 2.JPG
Views: 1500
Size:  112.0 KB
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 05-13-2014 at 01:02 AM.

All of these thoughts on fabrics are exactly what's been running around in my head lately! I have a spandex tail which I love, and am debating what material to use for making my second tail. Though I love the look of silicone, I just don't want to deal with all the hassles that go with it, at least for now. So I will probably make a second spandex tail, and then maybe a neoprene one.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    The thing I love about fabric, is that you can be any kind of mermaid as there are a lot prints and colors to choose from. You don't have to be the traditional fish scale mermaid.

And A$200, I can buy fabric to make several tails! I think I answered my own question there...
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 03-04-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Exactly!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

I can't decided to make a neoprene tail or buy a a spandex tail from mermaids of Hawaii thoughts

I made my first tail last month, and now I'm looking for a better fabric to make the next two (that will be my "official" tails).
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

I love my fabric tail, and I've had it for almost four years. It's served me well, but now I think it's time to upgrade it. The new tail'll be fabric, too, as it' really easy to work with, but his time, there'll be sequin scales. Anywho, fabric tails are great, and rarely ever get the credit they deserve.
    ~Mermaid Sashika of Yupalean~

I have only had fabric tails myself, though that is subject to change here soon (well, relatively soon compared to my tail history.) While I do enjoy the ease of construction, care, and general mobility, I still am looking for a tail that hides my legs better and looks (and feels) more realistic to curious little kids I meet while on the beach.

My fabric lovelies over the years:

Black Tail (2008) [Retired]

Blue Tail (2010) [Retired]

Spotted Tail (2011/2012)

Hope Tail (2012)

The Lantern Tail (2014)

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    yes hello your beauty makes me amzed and abit jelouse but mostly just * OoO *

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

What type of mono fin is in your purple tail???

Merlissa I swear I'm just in love with you and your tails! I really hope we can meet someday <3
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been having a bit of "tail-envy" over the fancy silicone or latex tails, but after reading this thread and realizing that "Hey, I'm not planning on going pro anytime soon!" I think it's a far better decision for me to have fabric that I can customize to my liking fairly easily! And like Mermaid Miel said, if you change your mind, it's just way too easy to go and make a new one!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I love fabric tails.
    I can dance in them (in water and on land), I don't need a mertender, no need to bother with lube and complicated cleaning rituals, and painted right, they look just as good as silicone imo.

You can sew sequins onto it for the extra shine, and you can get some sparkle with shiny fabric I've never seen silicone/latex pull off.

That said, I'd like to try out a silicone tail to see how it performs in the water (dance and swimming), and if the drag is much less than what I'm used to, I'll probably save up for one because I just love swimming fast lol.

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Making my first fabric tail this month! Thanks mers for sharing your amazing tails and tips!
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid