Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Tail Appreciation Thread

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Oh my gosh, that Steampunk tail, Sin - also the rest of the costume!!

Fabric Tail Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Talia View Post
    Oh my gosh, that Steampunk tail, Sin - also the rest of the costume!!
    Awwww thank you! I'm glad you like it!

I've recently started looking into some more materials so I can do some upgrades to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Oooh yay I can't wait to see the upgrades! I really really love your Steampunk tail, SIN

~

Aww thank you you guys again... I thought it looked pretty decent for a fabric tail!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Shimmer Mermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarianne View Post
    I'm actually starting on my fabric tail this week, my first tail!

Although the base is a spandex body, I will be sculpting a latex fluke for it, since I've been using mask-making latex for years and I'm comfortable with it. I was also going to do the fishnet-painting technique, but just as a painted guideline for the scales. Then I'm thinking i will remove the net after drying and handpaint little latex scales onto the spandex body...just a TIIIIINY bit, some small raised scales to give it some texture, with spandex space left in between each one so the body still has a bit of stretch. Has anyone here tried this? I know lots of people who paint liquid latex over spandex catsuits to create latex suits, so I think it will work out fine.

I've painted latex on spandex before, with good results...the latex seeps into the fabric threads and bonds with it, so it won't peel off any time soon. And if i just do it in small dots as scales, without actually coating the whole tail in latex, it'll presumably keep some stretch and be easier to move in. I really value the movement of a spandex tail over the realism of a silicone...I'm just looking for a tiny bit of raised texture, so when the kids at parties run their hands over my tail, they'll feel some kind of scaling, not just flat spandex.

At any rate, I will do a progress thread with pictures when I start it, so hopefully if something is to be learned (or avoided!), people can see it!

I actually have used a technique a lot of puppeteers use, which is liquid latex over sheets of upholstery foam (just the green or white foam from the craft store), which I considered for this. Done right, it can create a skin that's as thick as silicone and waterproof, and then you'd cast your scale sheets separately and add them on top. The main bonus is that it's not HEAVY like silicone, nor too bouyant like latex over neoprene. The weight of the latex balances out the bouyancy of the foam. I considered this, but I'd rather have the stretchiness and ease of a fabric tail.

For anyone who is interested in this technique for other applications (I'm not sure if this method has already been covered in the forums, I looked but didn't see it!), the trick is that the latex will always seep into the foam and be useless UNLESS you spray it first with Foam Fast, which is a tricky kind of foam glue. CRAZY strong, and very messy, but very effective. You lay the foam sheet out and spray a coat of Foam Fast over it. Then you wait for it to dry and it creates a waterproof barrier on the surface of the foam, as well as an easy surface for latex to stick to. A lot of industry puppeteers and special fx guys do this for large creatures like dinosaurs, animals, etc. It makes a great skin and has a thickness and weight to it, so it's realllly tough to rip or tear. I was actually a finalist for the new Jim Henson Creature Shop tv show during casting last winter, and I was flown out to Burbank to compete in the finals to be on the show, and one of the challenges we had to do was creating puppets exactly this way...with foam sheets and 3M Foam Fast. (and yeah, I didn't get on. They said they loved me, loved my personality, I'd be great great great...for season 2, not season 1. Womp woooomp, oh well!)

Here's a video of a horse head puppet I made, that was made this way, with a sheet of green foam, with Foam Fast sprayed over it, then latex brushed on, then painted. The head itself (not the neck) has a separate layer of molded latex fitted over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIKVGctG1Tg

(Don't mind me, it was a spur of the moment idea to take a video for my folks of this thing I made, my hair's all messed and I'm chatting with my roommate XD Also note that when I say "this thing is so heavy" in the video, I'm not referring to the latex or foam skin making it heavy, but to the structure inside the head, which has a plastic-cast skull to support the face, plus wooden supports for some mechanics inside to cable-control the ears and eye blinks!)

ANYWAY, I think fabric tails can be just as awesome as molded ones, if not better, with a little effort in technique! The painted ones I've seen on here are AMAZING and if they have a natural advantage of being cheaper, more comfortable, easier to move in and repair and DEFINITELY a lot more forgiving for people like me, whose weight goes up and down constantly! I gain weight very fast, but I also lose it very fast, so my waist size can yo-yo up and down by a few inches throughout the month. I need something that will stretch and fit me all the time!!

Anyhow that's my crazy ramble about fabric and latex. XD
    If you're looking for a raised texture, why not try 3-D fabric paint? It will still stretch, and is machine washable! (plus not as expensive!) I love the latex flukes, but don't have the money to make one right now, though I'm trying to find cheaper ways to do things, so if I mess up anything, it's not a biggy.
    Tell me your secrets, sailor.. and I'll whisper mine in return.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    There was a sale. I bought more swimsuit fabrics and swimwear elastic. They're holding it for me in the shop, pick up next week when I'm at my new home.

The surprise is, its a rather plain two color pattern. And I'll try at making a one piece bathing suit in my fave style. Matching tail will have elastic at the waist, and fins. How many fins? Don't know yet!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Fabric taaaails!! My tail is spandex, but in pictures people sometimes mistake it for latex. I adore it <3

Name:  Screen shot 2012-10-26 at 12.51.53 AM.png
Views: 889
Size:  420.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 1.40.40 PM.png
Views: 859
Size:  716.3 KB

I have all the material for my next fabric tail, but it's in a a different country than me at the moment. I've known what & how I want to make for a year and a half now... hopefully soon I can actually get started!!
    Mermaid Jade
    (Instagram | Facebook | tumblr)

Wow!!!! You look so pretty in your tail!!! Mermaid Jade did you paint your fluke? I am going to make my first fabric tail soon. Can you give me any pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    Fabric taaaails!! My tail is spandex, but in pictures people sometimes mistake it for latex. I adore it <3

Name:  Screen shot 2012-10-26 at 12.51.53 AM.png
Views: 889
Size:  420.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 1.40.40 PM.png
Views: 859
Size:  716.3 KB

I have all the material for my next fabric tail, but it's in a a different country than me at the moment. I've known what & how I want to make for a year and a half now... hopefully soon I can actually get started!!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    She has a tailmaking thread posted. Jade's tailmaking something. Use the search bar you'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I found this thread. Couldn't agree more with original poster. Fabric tails are seriously underrated! I love the diaphanous look that can only really be achieved with fabric; it brings to mind goldfish and mollies and bettas.

The pictures in this thread say it all. Miyu and Fifi, I am looking at you (in amazement!). And I can't say enough good things about my Fin Fun tail. Even though I am upgrading, this tail is my BFF.

Name:  gentail.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  83.7 KB
    Cool people have signatures. I wish to be cool as well. So here's Strong Bad catching fish. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail44.html

BayouMermaid I;ve also gotten my spandex fabric from spandex world, and it is very swimmable and test great in chlorine water about to order the same one you posted but in deeper blue

Hi, im about to make my first neoprene tail with fish scales on it can anyone show me a video on how to make it? i have to make the skin, my dear friend has offer to paint it for me, so going to buy 1.5 mm of neoprene from foam order, i was told its the best place, just dont know how many sheets im supposed to purchase any advice would be appreciated love this thread, spandex tails are so much easier and lighter and inexpensive. i seen several that look like silicone tails but are really neoprene that is great just what i want.. sorry for long thread excited

OMG, so many gorgeous fabric tails here, and such amazing talent with the sewing!
    I actually have a question about types of fabrics, but if there is another thread I missed focused on that please let me know

I'm making my first swimmable tail out of fabric (the ones I had a s a kid were for land only).
    It will be a super shiny metallic 4-way spandex in gold. For ankle fins, a dorsal and maybe some side or pectoral fins, I want to combine the gold with some aqua colors.
    My question is; what are the best fabrics in your opinion, or just your favorites, when it comes to getting the look of gorgeous gossamer fins without the fraying cut edges?
    I'm a seamstress that has worked with many fabrics in a lot of different environments, but this one makes me curious.
    My best guess is to use some of the really lightweight stretch mesh fabrics, bridal tulle, I've even seen sheer spandex. Any other ideas for sheer non-fraying fabrics that might be good to use??
    xoxo

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Genevieve: Aww thank you I put a lot of effort into it, I'm too much of a perfectionist and crafter sometimes, LOL!

I'd like to get a FinFun tail someday as well, to supplement the tails I make and to be a practice tail (so I don't ruin all my hand-sewn fabric tails)...I love their colour options!

Ulla: My fluke fabric was some kind of really stiff sheer fabric (non-stretch)... organza or something. I got it at Walmart, it's the thick, woven (not knit), non-stretch stuff you usually see on prom dresses. They also have a rainbow-fade one in the same fabric that I really want to make a fluke out of as well!

As for keeping it from fraying - I really love using French seams on a lot of my projects, because it completely encases, protects, and reinforces the seam! I also left some frayed-looking bits (securely sewn, or not in some places, I may need to fix those) to kind of give it more of a raw, dangerous tribal mer feel, LOL I haven't been swimming in it, but it's definitely been handled enough now for me to know how good the seams are! I sewed this whole tail by hand - as in with a hand needle, no sewing machine! So on the fluke I got to play with some really small, fun "sculpted" seams, which helps make it look very organic!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Here is my mermaid tail fabric . I used stretch velvet that I handpainted

Name:  sirene00.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  186.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Kenzee View Post
    What type of mono fin is in your purple tail???
    SUPER LATE RESPONSE!

In my lantern tail I have a modified (cut) Finis Competitor.

Also, my "new" fabric tail (from this last summer):

Poor gal got used to much she may need to be retired already!

I do have another fabric tail in the final stages of completion, then I am going to start neoprene... Posts to come!

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Beautiful work Laureen.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Thank you little_orca ^^

Your tail is very beautiful too ^^i love it ^^

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    All very pretty tails and mermaids!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    Little Orca, I LOVE your tails! They merge realistic and fantasy effortlessly
    Here is a pic of my tail from OnceUponAMermaid on Etsy. The fabric is scale print and the fluke Lori custom airbrushed for me. There were some scratches on it from the last time I took it out, though, so I may have to touch it up.
    Name:  10704023_317769581762347_7212585677279329181_n.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  72.2 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 11.47.48 PM.png
Views: 766
Size:  200.4 KB

My spandex tail! Sewn by my boyfriend and painted by my coworker. She used a mix of spray paint and hand painting. Mostly spray paint though.

Photo taken by:
    Muino Productions
    http://rickybrowneyes.daportfolio.com/
    Tail Painted by:
    http://artwithoutmedia.tumblr.com/
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast