Thread: Disney's The Little Mermaid

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

Disney's The Little Mermaid

So, I was recently wondering about Disney's The Little Mermaid. I've always loved the 1989 film since my childhood, but there were a few aspects that I've always been rather critical of. For instance, there are a few characters whose roles could definitely be improved. The film has a wide variety of great characters, Ariel, Ursula, Sebastian, Scuttle, and Flounder. But two that I've always wanted a little more from are Eric and Triton.

Eric definitely feels like one of the most one-note princes to me. Also, he pretty much just let Ariel abandon her family and home. We could have done so much better. What if we proposed a different solution? Eric and Ariel could go between the worlds as they pleased, not having to abandon either, spending an equal amount of time in both places. There, much better.

King Triton also always seemed rather one-note to me. He just is overprotective, forbids her to go to the surface, gets turned into one of Ursula's eel things, and then helps Ariel shift permanently to land. Anyone thinking we can do better? I'm not quite sure how, but I definitely feel like we can improve.

Thoughts on changing these characters? Could this make the film better? Excited for the actual remake, not the one that was floating around the web?
    Tell me below

I feel like Triton had some good reasons for forbidding Ariel to go to the surface. After all, his wife/her mother was killed by pirates on the surface, and humans were becoming more industrialized, fishing constantly and putting mers at risk. His main faults were not hearing Ariel out and losing his temper. I feel like his sacrifice for his daughter made him a more redeemable character, though a different manner may work. When he allowed Ariel to shift permanently to land, he was letting her make her own choice to stay, but he could turn her back at any time. As established in The Little Mermaid II, the trident can turn people into mers and back easily, and it seems that she did go back to visit her family in between the two movies.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora Celestia View Post
    I feel like Triton had some good reasons for forbidding Ariel to go to the surface. After all, his wife/her mother was killed by pirates on the surface, and humans were becoming more industrialized, fishing constantly and putting mers at risk. His main faults were not hearing Ariel out and losing his temper. I feel like his sacrifice for his daughter made him a more redeemable character, though a different manner may work. When he allowed Ariel to shift permanently to land, he was letting her make her own choice to stay, but he could turn her back at any time. As established in The Little Mermaid II, the trident can turn people into mers and back easily, and it seems that she did go back to visit her family in between the two movies.
    I definitely agree with you. What I mean is, I just wanted these characters to do more. There is so much else you could do with Triton, so many ways to expand his role. If a remake or any other sequel ever comes out, I'd like to see Triton and Eric's roles beefed up a little. They are characters full of opportunity is what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora Celestia View Post
    Also, I feel the same way about Eric. He didn't do much. Kinda just sat there. He did kill the sea witch, but that's about it. There is so much more he can do, instead of just sitting on the side whilst Ariel and Melody advance the plot. He just doesn't do much, and is also a character full of opportunity.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Actually, I think Triton was more of a character than Ariel. Like, he changes over the course of the film. His attitudes at the beginning aren't too irrational, but he goes too far. By the end of the movie, he realizes he has to let Ariel live her own life. I imagine that the remake will add some stuff to directly justify his hatred of humans.

I do agree that Eric didn't have much going on. Modern Disney puts more emphasis on developing the main characters, so I expect that Eric in the remake will be given more personality, have his own character arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Actually, I think Triton was more of a character than Ariel. Like, he changes over the course of the film. His attitudes at the beginning aren't too irrational, but he goes too far. By the end of the movie, he realizes he has to let Ariel live her own life. I imagine that the remake will add some stuff to directly justify his hatred of humans.

I do agree that Eric didn't have much going on. Modern Disney puts more emphasis on developing the main characters, so I expect that Eric in the remake will be given more personality, have his own character arc.
    I totally agree with you. It' an issue, but there are so many possible solutions to Eric's character, and I'm sure Disney will take one of them in the remake

wow! Disney!!!
    Definately going to watch this.
    As a huge disney fan, I can't wait to watch this.