Thread: Trimming a Mahina Monofin

Trimming a Mahina Monofin

I ordered a black one and I love it! It fits fine but it is quite tight on my high arches. Has anyone trimmed the foot pockets on the Mahina? If so do you trim the top or bottom to keep the integrity?

My friend did and it worked rather well!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Did they trim the bottom or top of the foot pocket?

Faith I would like to know how your friend trimmed hers as well.

I have been slowly trimming mine. I go for a quick swim to figure out where the monofin is rubbing me first and then I get out and use a sharpie to mark a small portion to trim off. I have been trimming off small pieces of the top of the foot pocket bit by bit.

Once I trim off the same small bit on both pockets, I go for another quick swim to see if that solved my problem or if I still need to trim more.

I trimmed mine so that it does not cover a bone that sticks out on the top of my foot. I realized the fin was pressing on this bone making it more uncomfortable. The other problem I have been having is the straps are rubbing under my ankles - mainly on my right ankle. I trimmed a bit off of the strap - I made a little dip in the strap where my ankle bone is. I have yet to learn if this has fixed the problem because I have to let my ankle heel first - otherwise it is hard to gauge if it is still hurting me when I am already hurt lol.

I would definitely trim the top and not the bottom. Also, trim small bits at a time. I read of someone on here accidentally trimming off too much.

For trimming I am using a 'hot knife'. I have a soldering iron and I attach an exacto blade to the end of it then once it heats up I slowly cut away at the fin. With a round tip on the soldering iron I go back over the edges to melt them so that they are smooth.

I hate it that my Mahina is hurting my feet. From the short swims I have had with it I can tell it has good power and flexibility but I can't give it my all when it quickly gives me blisters. I have tried foot booties but they made my feet cramp up instantly and I was uncomfortable and then with socks it was better but it didn't seem to stop the rubbing. My goal is to fix the monofin so that I don't have to wear anything on my feet but the fin.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    I hate it that my Mahina is hurting my feet. From the short swims I have had with it I can tell it has good power and flexibility but I can't give it my all when it quickly gives me blisters.
    yeah, exactly.
    I didn't wear it too long because I am SO over blistered (or cut open, happened with the Magictail mono) feet.
    I also couldn't really swim full tilt. Was pretty fast already, but you're holding back when it feels like it's amputating your feet in the process

Mine has two big round things right where the big toe normally is, and a ridge a bit lower.
    See the picture, the red dots outline the things that are inside the footpocket.
    Unless someone has a really strangely shaped foot, these things WILL hurt.

Name:  merfin-prob.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  141.1 KB

I hope they at least serve a purpose...although I cannot imagine which. No other monofin I know has such stuff inside the footpocket- as if strategically placed so that no normal foot will fit...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Echidna, that's so weird! My mahina doesn't have anything like that in the foot pockets.
    On topic: I don't have many issues with it, only slight blistering on my ankle bones and tops of my feet after swimming for ages. But my mahina is not tight. It has quite a bit of room. I am going to buy some booties and give them a go.
    I have heard of people trimming the foot pockets but yes, do it slowly, and small bits at a time!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    So I gave the Mahina another go today, but this time with my thickest neoprene socks (5mm).
    It's a totally different animal like that!
    I wore it about 40 minutes, timed it (~30 seconds for a 50m lap- that makes it the fastest of my monofins) and did quite a few tricks.
    It didn't feel heavy or cumbersome.

BUT
    it will still kill your feet if you have high arches.

I'm not sure if I can (or should) trim enough to be comfortable.
    As it would mean making the footpocket's upper ridge shorter.
    If that part is shorter or missing, it could mean losing power and propulsion.

This fin should be a dream for people with flat feet though...