Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your mer name, and why?

What's your mer name, and why?

I've had my tail for almost a year, but I'm only now just getting around to creating a mersona for myself. I want to take things to a little higher level, get into mermaiding a bit more seriously, and I've noticed that a lot of mers have a sort of stage name they go by when in character. I figure that's a good place to start - kind of embrace and recognize my merself!

So what's your mer name? How did you pick it and why - does it have any special meaning?

So far I'm leaning toward Peridot... My b-day's in Aug and my fave color is green, to the point where I dye my hair green, and my tail's main color is green too

I chose the name Veritas. My account name is Siren Veritas (ironic, right?) but I go by Mermaid Veritas, like "mermaid of truth," I think it sounds magical and mythical, which is why I like it.
    Last edited by Siren Veritas; 06-16-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    My mername has gone through some stages of evolution through the years around 2012 i gave myself my first mer name based on my birth goddess Yemaya back then the community was big on titles like Kings and Prince, so i decided to call my self Yemaya the Mer Prince i went with it for a few years untill i found the name "Marinus" wich means "Of the sea" i immediately identified with this name and decided to camm myself Merman Marinus, until recently i found the name "Mortimer" which translated means "Of Still Waters" i loved it and decided to use it as a last name now my name is "Marinus Mortimer" which to me translates to "From the sea of still waters" which reflects the form of my inner world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Quote Originally Posted by Deah View Post
    I've had my tail for almost a year, but I'm only now just getting around to creating a mersona for myself. I want to take things to a little higher level, get into mermaiding a bit more seriously, and I've noticed that a lot of mers have a sort of stage name they go by when in character. I figure that's a good place to start - kind of embrace and recognize my merself!

So what's your mer name? How did you pick it and why - does it have any special meaning?

So far I'm leaning toward Peridot... My b-day's in Aug and my fave color is green, to the point where I dye my hair green, and my tail's main color is green too

i am getting my tail as soon as a lose the weight. i am trying to figure out where to start with my mersona lol i really want an awesome mer name !

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I've always been called Slim so it just made sense to be called that as a merman. It's really the main thing people notice when people see me.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Siren Veritas View Post
    I chose the name Veritas. My account name is Siren Veritas (ironic, right?) but I go my Mermaid Veritas, like "mermaid of truth," I think it sounds magical and mythical, which is why I like it.
    That's a nice one! Don't think I've seen anything like it - very original!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaidcassidy View Post
    i am getting my tail as soon as a lose the weight. i am trying to figure out where to start with my mersona lol i really want an awesome mer name !
    I know... there's some really good ones out there. I want something a little more than just tacking on "mermaid" to the beginning of my name!

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    My mername has gone through some stages of evolution through the years around 2012 i gave myself my first mer name based on my birth goddess Yemaya back then the community was big on titles like Kings and Prince, so i decided to call my self Yemaya the Mer Prince i went with it for a few years untill i found the name "Marinus" wich means "Of the sea" i immediately identified with this name and decided to camm myself Merman Marinus, until recently i found the name "Mortimer" which translated means "Of Still Waters" i loved it and decided to use it as a last name now my name is "Marinus Mortimer" which to me translates to "From the sea of still waters" which reflects the form of my inner world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ah, that's a really good one - a lot of meaning. When I had more time I was in the SCA and my name was Celeste Marinier, for the heaven and sea. I was tempted to keep that, but I'm not sure I like how Celeste sounds anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I've always been called Slim so it just made sense to be called that as a merman. It's really the main thing people notice when people see me.
    LOL - hey, stick with what works!

I am Mermaid Cora, before I was adopted my name was Cora Andrea, so I thought it'd be a nice way to honor my birthmother. She loves it!

Aw that's so sweat. I like the name Cora, like coral or koi.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidCora View Post
    I am Mermaid Cora, before I was adopted my name was Cora Andrea, so I thought it'd be a nice way to honor my birthmother. She loves it!
    That's awesome! It may not be "mer" themed per se, but I think it works really well!

Once upon a time I was swimming by myself in an empty pool and decided to wear my glasses and be like Traci Hines. So I took some photos attempting to look like a hipster mermaid. My inner self-critic was like "who am I kidding, I'm not a hipster mermaid... I'm a nerdmaid."

I liked that name actually a lot better and thus is my branding.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Once upon a time I was swimming by myself in an empty pool and decided to wear my glasses and be like Traci Hines. So I took some photos attempting to look like a hipster mermaid. My inner self-critic was like "who am I kidding, I'm not a hipster mermaid... I'm a nerdmaid."

I liked that name actually a lot better and thus is my branding.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    LOL - that's great and really unique!

I'm Neerai. This name has more than 15 years, and the first character I designed with it was a ocean elve. But eventually became my nickname for a lot of years. It's a name derived from "nereid", a sea nymph.

But my mersona is not a nymph. It's a pirate mermaid! She goes with the crew searching for gold and jewels!! Arrrrrrrrr...matey!
    Last edited by Neerai; 06-16-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Including information

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    You know, I've drawn mersonas of myself but never came up with a mername. Perhaps I should. Arcinus sounds nice, it's like Orcinus. Orcas are my favorite animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    You know, I've drawn mersonas of myself but never came up with a mername. Perhaps I should. Arcinus sounds nice, it's like Orcinus. Orcas are my favorite animal.
    As much art as I do (and I do) I've never actually drawn my mersona... no idea why. I like Arcinus, but honestly, Orcinas is nice too! Especially if your tail is Orca themed! That would be cute! Okay... maybe not "cute," orcas are serious predators. Just watched a nature showwhere they drowned a humpback calf... scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Neerai View Post
    I'm Neerai. This name has more than 15 years, and the first character I designed with it was a ocean elve. But eventually became my nickname for a lot of years. It's a name derived from "nereid", a sea nymph.

But my mersona is not a nymph. It's a pirate mermaid! She goes with the crew searching for gold and jewels!! Arrrrrrrrr...matey!
    I like that name, even if your not a nymph exactly. It's close enough to nereid that you can get the root easliy, but different enough it's not the only thing you think of.

Heh - I haven't really thought of any sort of backstory for my mersona. I have other mer characters that do, but couldn't really make them my mersona, so I gotta start over!

My name is Aurora Celestia, which refers to both the auroras, aka the Norther Lights, and the celestial sky, aka space. So, basically my name means "lights in the sky". Also, Aurora is translated as "sun" or "dawn", which makes sense as well.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

I chose mine in latin. Mermaid= Syreni sounds cool. I spent 18 years on various boats,ships sailing and diving all over and always liked tales, legends from the seas.