Thread: Can I wear a Mermaid skirt to a Renaissance Fair?

Can I wear a Mermaid skirt to a Renaissance Fair?

Hello Lovelies,

So I bought a mermaid skirt a couple weeks ago with the plan to wear it to this year's Renaissance Fair, but two people in a row have responded slightly in the negative when I announced the outfit choice.Our local fair tends to have many fantasy elements to it- I've gone as an elf before, and there are often Pirates who wander the fair, wizards, fairy-folk, ect, but there's usually only a few things here and there that point to mermaid. One lady I've run into a few times, actually sells fairly realistic fantasy ears (which I can't wear to this fair, as I recently pierced my cartilage) and one of her sets is a mermaid and it's these very fae like ears (I don't know how else to describe them) with little gills that she paints and blends into your skin with fun colors. Last year I told her about the idea and she sounded excited about it and said I absolutely had to come back, get a set, and let her paint it for me, because she rarely gets to play with colors that aren't flesh tones. However, being the anxious creature I am, every time I test a new costume I get a bit worried that people won't like it/ it will stand out too much. Last year, to this specific fair, I wore a period costume dress (to test the water, since it was their first year I think). Should I go as a mer? Should I switch to one of my other outfits instead?

Thank you lovelies.

I say, go for it! I went with a mermaid themed costume last year. I made a hood out of netting and canvas and wore my shell top. I got a lot of compliments on that top. It was hilarious, because I'd forget that I was wearing it, then wonder why all these people were staring at my chest! :P

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Since the fair already has fantasy elements, I say go for it. Mermaids are common in Renaissance fantasy style works. If nothing else, it's closely connected to pirates!

I went as a mermaid haha. It was fun. Lots of people enjoyed the costume. I got really sunburned but I'll wear it again to the next one with a few changes.

Sent from my Shell-Phone

I went to my ren faire in ohio as one and everyone loved it and even asked to get a picture with me! I'm glad you decided to go for it

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk