Thread: Hi from Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Add Astrid_Delphine86 on Facebook
    Visit Astrid_Delphine86's Youtube Channel

Post Hi from Brantford, Ontario, Canada

My mermaid name is Astrid Delphine, but my friends call me "Delly".

I live in Brantford, Ontario, Canada. I don't drive and so that limits me to where I am allowed to swim at.

I've known that I am part mermaid since I was 13 years old and badly hand sewed my first land tail out of an ugly upholstery fabric. But of course, my nosey mother found out and I was so embarrassed, I threw that tail out and started hiding my love of mermaids with an obsession with angels instead.

It was not until I entered my early 20's that I let go of the angels (I didn't totally though because I believe in God; Anglican, born and baptized) and embraced the mermaids openly again. It was about that time that I tried making my first swimmer tail from swim suit material. It was a dark purple; ok for a land tail but epic fail as a swimmer. This was all hand sewed and the monofin was a piece of thick, multi-layered cardboard. (Back from when I was still skinny! Circa 2010)

Finally, 2011-13 I made my first successful swimming mermaid tail.
    This one cost a lot of money and involved a lot of work on my part but thankfully, I had a sewing machine by this point. The monofin in this one is actually a home made DIY one: huge piece of white plastic cut to shape and holes drilled, pair of small water shoes strapped down with scrap strips of swim suit material. I could not (and still cannot) afford a real monofin. This photo was taken the day of my very first public swim in the tail, July 20th 2013, at my "uncle" Joe's house pool.

As the few years since then, I've fully embraced my mermaid half of myself despite my human self getting bigger. Thankfully, my set has grown with me and it all still fits me, despite the need for an update to cover some more skin. Glasses since grade 4 makes authenticity harder but I do what I can to get by. The land make up was discovered in the last two years and it's really fun.

I do love my set but I am hoping to get some help updating and accessorizing this some more. I have some stuff but none of it I'd be willing to swim in. And all of this comes with the complication described in my signature.
    Last edited by Astrid_Delphine86; 06-20-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Smaller pictures!
    "She was caught up in her own little world of surprise, shock, joy and a dash of horror.... She had somehow become a mermaid"
    -Favorite quote ever read in a mermaid book!

Astrid Delphine: an adult mermaid who has to wear special half-face goggles just to be able to swim underwater because she never learned to swim without plugging her nose

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Welcome to the mernetwork. I'm glad you never truly gave up on your love of mermaids. Regarding the Astrid Delphine, I recommend to get some Sinus Saver. They are really cheap on Amazon and are really amazing. I never get water up in my nose using them and you can't even tell I'm using it in all of my pictures.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Thanks so much for the tip on those Sinus Savers. I will have to wait until next month to order but I can't wait to try them. I'm wiling to try ANYTHING at this point! <3

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    if you haven't yet feel free to send a join request to our Fb group for Canadians: https://www.facebook.com/groups/375142929328888/

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    It will greatly help you. Just keep in mind the medium are rarely in stock. I rarely swim without them because it works that well. The link for them is here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XO0IS3E/
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

It will greatly help you. Just keep in mind the medium are rarely in stock. I rarely swim without them because it works that well. The link for them is here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XO0IS3E/
    Apparently I'm a size small anyway! That's the trouble with me... small head, hands and feet but big everything else!
    "She was caught up in her own little world of surprise, shock, joy and a dash of horror.... She had somehow become a mermaid"

Astrid Delphine: an adult mermaid who has to wear special half-face goggles just to be able to swim underwater because she never learned to swim without plugging her nose

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    if you haven't yet feel free to send a join request to our Fb group for Canadians: https://www.facebook.com/groups/375142929328888/
    Thanks very much! I did join!