Thread: Realistic vs Idealistic tails

Realistic vs Idealistic tails

I've noticed over time that mers and their tails generally fall into two different categories: realistic and idealistic.

The merfolk that prefer the realistic tails usually aim for the most fish like tail possible. For example they might lean towards modeling their tail as closely as possible after a real fish, following the detail down to the very shape of their fluke. You'll probably see more greens, blues, tropical colors (accompanied by a pattern and design resembling a real tropical fish), and browns in this category, as well as very careful attention to shading. They generally seem more conservative on extra fins, unless of course it's modeled after a lionfish or some other magnificently complex creature. Realistic tails are actually pretty common, especially because of the wide range of beauty and vibrant color found in the tropics.

The idealistic tails are generally more adventurous with their designs. What I mean by "idealistic" is that the maker/designer aims not for the lifelike precision of the before mentioned, but instead a reflection of themselves. They desire more to personify beauty and grace through the artistic expression of the tail. They aren't better than realistics by any means, both of them are gorgeous in their own ways. Idealistic tails tend to show brighter colors; holographic, golden, or color shifting are just a few examples, but they are likely to have an unusual pattern for the colors. They may follow the trends of nature a little, such as natural looking stripes or spots, but it is hard to identify them as any one fish in particular. And probably the most notable feature of an idealistic tail: the gorgeous creative flukes that people design for them. There are no limits by nature set here, and the designer is free to explore their own desires and likings.

I like concepts of both. The honor and respect for the beauty of nature that the realistic tails have, and also the pure unfiltered expression people show through their idealistic tails.

What do you guys think? This was all just a random thought that came to me today and I wanted to share it. I also want to see you classify your tails! Are you team real or ideal? Or a blend of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently my tail would be idealistic i think

Mermaid Merliah

I like the difference between the two realistic and idealistic styles and never really noticed/put much thought into it before you mentioned it here. I feel like most mers lean on the side of idealistic with influences from realistic. It's rare to see a decked out 100% realistic tail, but the few I've seen include clown fish, palette surgeonfish, koi fish, betta fish, and goldfish to name a few.

I myself enjoy the idea of idealistic to allow creativity to flow and some really beautiful designs to come out/not have too many "copies" considering there are a handful of fish that are consistently referenced (like clownfish, koi, or gold) and can thus be repeated if everyone went the realistic route.

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

I agree MermaidAiera. It's so rare that you see a tail truly modeled after a fish, and they're always so pretty! I think sometimes people are hesitant to do something so bold, with the whole stigma of trying to fit in to the crowd, but I always love seeing people in really realistic tails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty idealistic, but I recently switched my design to something totally different. I was gonna model after a betta fish, since they can breathe both in the water and in the air, but my friend's mom pointed out that mermaids can all breathe air XD So I'm still making it look like a real fish, but just the colors I want. My inspiration is actually a moth, but I still want like the white underbelly and such of a fish.

I have tail designs in both categories. I love extra fins, flamboyant flukes and unnatural color combos as well as the bright colors and fun patterns and shapes of real (specifically tropical) fish.