Thread: How do you get in and out of the pool?

Question How do you get in and out of the pool?

How does everyone get in and out of the pool so as to maintain the illusion with the kids? I know that this will depend on the venue, so please site examples. Also, what are you doing at dry events?

One gig I did started with the kids inside while I entered the pool, then afterwards had the parents bring all the kids back inside for cake and presents while I got out of the pool. I've also hoisted myself out by the stairs onto a few towels before shimmying my way onto a mermaid themed dolly and getting carted away by my mertender off into the horizon

Both methods seem to work really great. If you're doing a dry event beforehand (like taking photos, playing games, etc.) before getting into the pool, the dolly method is great because you'll have a place to sit while working with the guests as well as a way to be transported around. Also, if the party is strictly outside and nobody is to really go in the house, it's the best way I've found to do the trick while keeping the illusion.

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

If you choose to diy it's kinda hard but can be done, basically you could lay a towel on the ground by the edge of the pool and place another one over you while you change, then just set the top towel aside and scoot into the pool! The drawbacks to this method are (1) if the top blanket shifts off of you the kids will see that you're putting on a tail. (2) Kids will see you with legs first prompting the "you're not real! / are you real?" response and its variance questions. Though if you say you were "transforming" they'll go for it most of the time. (3) And it really only works with fabric (and if you work harder neoprene) tails, not silicone. The upside to this method is you don't have to have someone to help. This works for public and semi private (ex: apartment) pools.

Or you can just get a mertender to help! This is the easiest and more realistic option, it also works with silicone tails and everywhere! In this case you just change either slightly off-site or out of sight, then your mertender helps you in and out of the pool! If you get a mertender to help I second what MermaidAiera said, and I definitely recommend a dolly. Not only do they look better, they can help keep the illusion and they save your mertender's back! People weigh around 120-150lbs plus the weight of a tail 2-60lbs and that adds up to 122-210lbs! And since that will eventually take it's toll on anyone it makes dollies a great addition, especially for professional mers.

I don't have experience with dry events but the above advice sounds spot on.

Good luck!

I might be alone on this, but I'd really (reallyreallyreally) encourage you to always have another person with you anyway- definitely if you are in the water, for safety, but also they can help you into the water, move you from dolly to throne, etc, go grab something if you can't- just the million little things that might come up that we take for granted being able to hop up and grab something, etc. But my suggestion is build something cool that can go on a dolly- a throne, etc, and you're set Have someone help you or have breaks or blocks you can use to just park it for dry events, if it works logistically. If you can though, definitely the suggestion of getting into and out of the water while all kids are inside, at a private pool, is by far easiest