Thread: Tail modification (adding fins, zippers, and corset waist)

Tail modification (adding fins, zippers, and corset waist)

Hello,
    I am considering purchasing a tail from another mer but the waist is too small. If I get it, I'll have to make a few modifications to make sure it will fit. My idea was to cut open the sides and insert large hip fins, and to cut the back a few inches and add grommets and a modesty piece so the tail is adjustable in size. I'm worried that the bottom of the cut will make the tail easy to tear, like it'll rip open along the line? How do I prevent this? And what kind of glue would I need to use? I plan to have powermesh glued to the inside where the fins connect, to make them sturdier and attached better. Will this keep it from ripping further? Also, I wanted to cut the waist a little bit, right now it is just straight across, but I wanted to cut along the scales for a zigzag kind of edge. Is there anything I should worry about with that? Extra ripping maybe? And can I use regular scissors to cut the silicone? (Full silicone tail) For the corset grommets I decided to use plastic grommets, to avoid rust, and because they will be much nicer to the silicone than metal would (I feel like metal ones would rip the tail/rip out). Any ideas on what would be good to lace it with? Would regular laces be fine, or should I worry about specific materials? I'm hiding the waist stuff with a belt most likely, I'll probably have to custom make that or make holes for the hip fins. This is what I want the hip fins to look like (from the anime +Anima)
    Name:  husky_as_sapphire_by_ajgirl-d32yau1.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  122.4 KB

I hate to say this, but I feel like any hole or cut you put into it will weaken it. Even plastic grommwts will rub and cause more tearing. I'm not sure that any new layered silicone on top of the cuts will adhere to it, and I would personally suggest to pass on it. I wish I had an easier solution for you.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    As a silicone tail owner- please do yourself a favor and possibly wait for a different used tail or consider ordering from a tail maker in the future.
    Not only is a silicone tail a large investment that requires care and maintenance(not to mention is heavy! My girl is 34 lbs)- but cutting into the silicone in such a way would ensure that the tail will not be possible to be used.
    Silicone just doesn't work in a way that would allow corset lacing or grommets. It not only would leave more spaces for water to seep/stew in to create mold as well as would definitely not lace the way you expect it to. Only the spots with the grommets would pull tight to your body and more likely than not the grommets would just pop out of place leaving the laces to cut into the silicone.
    While powermesh might help reduce the chances of it getting large tears- I'm not sure if it would work in the way you expect or not.
    As for the side fins? Even tail owners who have re-sent their tails to the original makers for upgrades have had trouble with it as far as I remember. Since silicone has a green period adding stuff on it can either be difficult or downright impossible. I think Mermaid Raven is the only one who has been able to safely repaint tails and do additions? But that's a secret.

It would be much easier on you to wait and save up money for a custom tail in the future. It would save you the chances of being disappointed in something you've spent money on and can't use. Better to have a bit of patience and get something you're 100% happy with rather than something you have to make a ton of modifications on with the risk of it not working D:
    Last edited by Mermaid Saoirse; 06-28-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

Thank you guys for the input! I can see where grommets would have to be built into the tail with fabric or something in there to strengthen it. Since the seller has another interested buyer, I think I'm gonna wait for my tailmaker to get back to me and just try to be patient. (It's so hard to be patient, it's been nine years now XD ) Also, sidenote, Mermaid Saoirse, is your name possibly inspired by "Song of the Sea"? I love that movie!!!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Namaka View Post
    Thank you guys for the input! I can see where grommets would have to be built into the tail with fabric or something in there to strengthen it. Since the seller has another interested buyer, I think I'm gonna wait for my tailmaker to get back to me and just try to be patient. (It's so hard to be patient, it's been nine years now XD ) Also, sidenote, Mermaid Saoirse, is your name possibly inspired by "Song of the Sea"? I love that movie!!!
    Ahaha as much as I loved Song of The Sea I actually have had my mermaid name before I ever came close to watching the movie. It was more of a surprise to see a selkie with my mermaid name!
    Trust me- the wait will definitely make finally getting your tail so worth it. I hope you can collaborate with your tailmaker to find a way to get what you're looking for!
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod