Thread: PLEASE HELP! How to make a monofin without pre-made footpockets

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar

Lightbulb PLEASE HELP! How to make a monofin without pre-made footpockets

I'm trying to make a tail that is not made from silicone or fabric.

It will be orca themed, so I needed thick Lexan/Polycarbonate. I decided on .22 or .25 , and the fluke will be 3-4ft. by 2ft., replicating an almost perfect orca's fluke.

The only monofin that looked like it would work was the Dol-Fin monofin, but it is waaaaay too small for what I need.

I need open heel footpockets, or something that can be made into an open heel. Possibly water shoes, if anyone has recommendations?
    I also need some way to glue the footpockets, whatever they may be made of, to the Lexan.
    I don't know anything about bolting down footpockets and I do not want to try.
    The monofin will be coated in Rust-Oleum LeakSeal to prevent it from snapping, especially at the fin's edges. I saw something about reinforcing them from PearlieMae, or someone else, I dunno.
    I have seen that people have said DO NOT USE POLY-ZAP, so is there an alternative?

Thank you all in advance !!!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    May not be what you are looking for, but there is this monofin:
    Name:  DSCN0037.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  104.9 KB
    The Lunocet. It is very fast. You use cycling shoes with them. Having a pair, I think you could cut the shoes to open the heel. Ive also attached foot pockets from a pair of swim fins to the Lunocet, but that took alot of bolting. For me, it was worth it. I think I got it all figured out as to how to get my feet into the foot pockets even if I cannot reach or touch my feet.

As for cutting your own monofin, I have had better luck with polypropylene. It does not break as easily. But, you cannot glue to it. ( I used bolts).

As for gluing to polycarbonate, you may just have to start trying different types. Contact cements may be good, as they are somewhat flexible. Also, try Gorilla glue. In all cases, sand the plastic to roughen it up before gluing to it.

I actually got some water shoes to bolt to a monofin. I did not like them as they had such a small lip at the heel. Which means they are close to what you want: open heels.

Given the issues with gluing to plastics, and getting a reliable joint, you may want to re-examine your apprehension with bolts. It is rather easy.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!