Thread: How thick is a typical scale sheet?

How thick is a typical scale sheet?

I'm curious-- can anyone tell me how thick their tail bodies are? I just made my first sample scale sheet and I feel like it's really thick and heavy...but if I'd made it from foam circles, it'd be WAY thicker! My personal tail is an individual scale tail with pretty thin scales, so it's never really thicker than about 4-5 mm. I'm asking because I'd like to make a scale sheet for my shop, but I'm also trying to keep the thickness variations down if I can-- trying to keep the stretchiness but without sacrificing strength where it's thin. (But go too thin, and you start to lose detail. AAK!) So I'm just curious how thick a typical mertail skin is. Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

I'm actually just now dealing with the exact same thing! i tried to include readable photos but it was tricky to get an accurate measurement. Hope this helps.

The first sheet I did was too thick but I'm just going to use that for the butt side of the fin I guess. The second sheet is much better but you can see how thin it gets in certain areas (stretch tests in the photo below). First pour was 96oz of silicone, second pour was 56oz if that gives you any indication on how much less I used. I'd ideally go with a slightly thicker sheet than the second pour. I can measure the dimensions of each sheet too if that helps! I also included my non blended waist Merbella fin thickness for ref. Its the ideal scale thickness goal.
    Name:  scalethick.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  650.3 KB

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    My mermaid creations tail is super thick. I'm at work right now, but I would say it's almost a half an inch thick. I could be totally wrong and I will measure when I get home. It is hella hard to put on and impossible to put on by myself.

Thanks for the info! Nice question, great thread, sweet answers!

Thanks for the pics, KatieScottArt, that was really helpful!
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

My Finfolk tail is 3-3.5mm thick, Merbella Studios is 2mm thick. It was hard to hold them and take good pictures but here you go:

(thumbs, click to view on photobucket)

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I have a tail of art and I'd say it's a 1/4" to 1/2"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow Kunoichi Ribeiro On Twitter Add Kunoichi Ribeiro on Facebook
    Visit Kunoichi Ribeiro's Youtube Channel
    Hi KatieScottArt , i know don't have too much with the thread, but, what is the name of this fabric you use to attach on the silicone scale sheet on the second roll? Just curiosity. I notice have one similar inside my Finfolk tail and i was wondering about another day... and if im right, the order in making a tail is : First layer the silicone scale sheet, second this fabric and third pour another layer of silicone to seal the fabric!? Im right? At least to me is what my Finfolk looks been made, and she looks very thick. I like this way because she looks very resistant.

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunoichi Ribeiro View Post
    Hi KatieScottArt , i know don't have too much with the thread, but, what is the name of this fabric you use to attach on the silicone scale sheet on the second roll? Just curiosity. I notice have one similar inside my Finfolk tail and i was wondering about another day... and if im right, the order in making a tail is : First layer the silicone scale sheet, second this fabric and third pour another layer of silicone to seal the fabric!? Im right? At least to me is what my Finfolk looks been made, and she looks very thick. I like this way because she looks very resistant.

I think it's called powermesh, I've seen a lot about it on the forum. Not sure though

Follow Kunoichi Ribeiro On Twitter Add Kunoichi Ribeiro on Facebook
    Visit Kunoichi Ribeiro's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidrobynn View Post
    I think it's called powermesh, I've seen a lot about it on the forum. Not sure though
    Thank you mermaidrobynn! I had looking around internet and i found some photos who looks be the same kind a fabric on my tail.

Even professional tail makers make their tails thick so it doesn't tear!

Quote Originally Posted by Kunoichi Ribeiro View Post

I am SO sorry, I had no idea you had asked this question earlier!!
    Yes, I use a nude toned fabric called Power Mesh. You can grab it online or at any Joanne's fabric stores! I like to shop at Joannes since they're always tossing out great coupons
    I