Thread: Silicone Mermaid Tail is Collecting Dust - Sell or Keep?

Silicone Mermaid Tail is Collecting Dust - Sell or Keep?

Hi Mernetwork,

I’ve been a lurker here for about 3 years, and in fact this is my first post.

My fiancée has been a huge mermaid fan for her whole life, and I’ve known her for practically her whole life. I’d catch her watching youtube videos, or reading forums (probably this one), or looking at pictures of mermaid tails. One day, I decided to start browsing myself, with the intention of buying her a mermaid tail of her own!

I decided to go with Mernation and get a genesis tail. I found out quickly that there were too many measurements I could not get without her knowing, so I decided to tell her I would buy it. When we got engaged is when I dropped the news on her, and she couldn’t have been happier. That day, we did all of her measurements together, and mailed in the Duct Tape dummy and did all of the other paperwork which was required.

In extremely short fashion (Kudos to you, Mernation) she got her tail in the mail and was happier than I’ve ever seen her. It looked amazing, and she loved it. That day she tried to put it on, but whoops, turns out it was much more difficult to put on than she thought. I rushed to her aid of course, to see if together we could get her in there. Much to her frustration, it was too difficult. I had to watch her fold up the tail and put it into the closet, with more disappointment than I had ever seen before. There were some tears shed that night.

We tried together to put it on her about 3 more times that week, each time getting stuck just under her butt, unable to pull it up any further. We tried using lube, we tried using more lube, we tried using even more than that, and nothing seemed to work. That was 3 months ago, and since then, she hasn’t tried once. I’d ask her when she was going to try to wear her tail again, and she’d say “In the summer, when I can go to the beach or pool”. Well now its summer, and she has not made any effort to wear the tail again. Who can blame her?

The last thing I want to do is sell the tail that she’s wanted her whole life, but I don’t know what choice I have. It’s been sitting in the closet collecting dust for three months, and I feel that just having it in the house is making her uncomfortable. I haven’t talked to her about selling it just yet, I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions first.

Anyone have advice for me? Has this happened to you guys before?

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lilija's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoormanatee View Post
    Hi Mernetwork,

I’ve been a lurker here for about 3 years, and in fact this is my first post.

My fiancée has been a huge mermaid fan for her whole life, and I’ve known her for practically her whole life. I’d catch her watching youtube videos, or reading forums (probably this one), or looking at pictures of mermaid tails. One day, I decided to start browsing myself, with the intention of buying her a mermaid tail of her own!

I decided to go with Mernation and get a genesis tail. I found out quickly that there were too many measurements I could not get without her knowing, so I decided to tell her I would buy it. When we got engaged is when I dropped the news on her, and she couldn’t have been happier. That day, we did all of her measurements together, and mailed in the Duct Tape dummy and did all of the other paperwork which was required.

In extremely short fashion (Kudos to you, Mernation) she got her tail in the mail and was happier than I’ve ever seen her. It looked amazing, and she loved it. That day she tried to put it on, but whoops, turns out it was much more difficult to put on than she thought. I rushed to her aid of course, to see if together we could get her in there. Much to her frustration, it was too difficult. I had to watch her fold up the tail and put it into the closet, with more disappointment than I had ever seen before. There were some tears shed that night.

We tried together to put it on her about 3 more times that week, each time getting stuck just under her butt, unable to pull it up any further. We tried using lube, we tried using more lube, we tried using even more than that, and nothing seemed to work. That was 3 months ago, and since then, she hasn’t tried once. I’d ask her when she was going to try to wear her tail again, and she’d say “In the summer, when I can go to the beach or pool”. Well now its summer, and she has not made any effort to wear the tail again. Who can blame her?

The last thing I want to do is sell the tail that she’s wanted her whole life, but I don’t know what choice I have. It’s been sitting in the closet collecting dust for three months, and I feel that just having it in the house is making her uncomfortable. I haven’t talked to her about selling it just yet, I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions first.

Anyone have advice for me? Has this happened to you guys before?
    the putting the tail on problem happend to me a lot in the beginning. I also tried lots of lube & other suggestions that people gave me. I never gave up went to the pool & tried it inside the pool while I was already in water. I submerged my tail, I did some straps around the foot pockets so I wouldn't reach with my hands down there to put my feet in, just pulled on the straps so it would get the foot pocket open. Pulled my tail up & it went much better when submerged in water already then on land with lubes, oils,...

Maybe try submerging the tail first ? Never give up on dreams There is always a way!

Arctic_Spirit_Nixii - from Belgium

Honestly, I would just talk to your fiancée about it. Maybe suggest selling it and buying something easier to use, but only if she wants to. In the end it's her call, so you should probably just bite the bullet and talk it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I agree with the "try harder" idea. You may think you tried sufficient lube, but my guess is you still need to use more. Ive seen some rather "impossible to put on" stretchy things put on with a lot of lube. Coconut oil works well. Doing it in the water is also a good idea.

Failing that, see if Mernation has any advice, or can modify it.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I dunno, if you used so much and it still wont come up it sounds to me like the measurements may of been off and didn't fit. I have a tail I bought for my company, and even with a bottle of lube and making sure the thing is soaked, I can barely get it over my butt and it's too uncomfortable to swim in.

coconut oil can actually be detrimental to silicone and grow mold faster.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

We're going to try again this weekend using Lilija's suggestion to try it in the pool. She doesn't want to put it on in a public pool, so we're seeing if we can find a friend who has a pool to let us use it. If that doesn't work, we have a large bathtub. I know it gets very slippery when wet, so hopefully it slides right on!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Good luck! Let us know!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    Tails can be a TIGHT fit, I agree to try again, and if it does not work maybe sell it and use those funds to get a new one (?).
    If you are having major problems still, and would like help, maybe think about making a video. That way we can see what is going on, and help by giving you tips. I always wet my feet somehow before putting on my tail, and I have seen people needing a good amount of lube/baby oil/ etc to put on a tail.
    Follow me on INSTAGRAM @
    Creations and fun things: Ashton.Designs

TailsAndTiaras.com

Hi guys! So sorry to hear you're having issues getting the tail on. Believe me, putting on a silicone tail (especially your first one) can be overwhelming! It's not glamourous and definitely can leave you feeling self conscious. However, please tell her to contact us directly and we can figure this thing out together the first time I tried on a silicone tail I literally cried haha I promise it'll get better with practice and working out what works best for you and your body. I'm more than happy to Skype with you both work through it together if you want! Anyway, lots of tips/tricks and things to try before giving up

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    It's impossible for me to put my silicone tail on by myself. I have to fold down the tail as far as it will go, lube up my legs and then my husband has to pull it up over my hips in one motion all at once.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    I think Erin can atest My MerNation's maiden voyage was an ordeal. I called MerNation like four times, only a tad hysterically I may add, and I'd already worked with several and owned one pretty tight silicon tail. I find Dawn to be great lube. It's relatively environmentally sound, washes away in the water for a tighter seal afterwards and also doesn't attribute to mould. I find, not lubbing my feet is great for staying in my footpockets. As for getting it stuck on the butt, try drying that area or the tail, and your hands and turning your hands palms towards the ground, away from the body, on the inside of the tail. I have a butt, and that's solved that issue for me in every Silicon tail I've worked with.
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!