Thread: Cartwrights 14mm iris carnival sequins

Cartwrights 14mm iris carnival sequins

I haven't seen anyone using them for a while, and know they are on closeout, along with a few other gorgeous mermaidy colors. I really want to use these colors though. I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this, but I am almost ready to start, and I haven't seen anything on it lately. I really just want to know if there is a way to coat the sequins, to make them more durable, without losing their shine? I will not be gluing them. I will be sewing them onto 2.5mm neoprene, individually, with a lot of overlap. I thought about using the e6000 spray, but haven't tested it. Maybe just a spray sealer? I know this is going to be a lot of work, but I want it to be good, the first time. Thanks so much!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    I tried E6000 on my Vinyl and the results were a little mixed. In heavy amounts it gets a little milky, but in small amounts it does look like a clear coat. The one thing I've noticed is that it dings up pretty fast and that milky appearance from scratches doesn't look as nice anymore. I've not tested it in sunlight (does it yellow over time, is is environmentally friendly if it chips off). I've taken care to remove it where visible now, so I'm not sure whether I'd promote using it as a protective coating.

I would have then tried (though I've been reading mixed opinions on this) doing very thin brush strokes of GE 100% clear silicone over each individual scale prior to adhering them to your fluke, Pearliemay was saying that the silicone will tear and the silicone will not stick to the sequin scale itself.

You want something flexible ( so it can take light damage from rubbing against surfaces), dries clear, and is a multi surface adherent. I'm at a loss unfortunately, I'll continue thinking on it, hopefully someone else has ideas.

Thank you! I'm not sure if I need it to be flexible, or actually really hard and indestructible. The purpose ultimately, is to keep the iridescent coating from peeling off. I just know how delicate these particular sequins are.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

I'm not sequining the fluke. I have shelf liner and mylar for that, and for fins. Or if that doesn't work, at that point I may attempt the silicone.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Cool! I can't wait to see!

Same question here. Dying to coat my sequins in ANYTHING durable so I can finish sewing them on my tail. I sewed on 13, and the first two I sewed are ALREADY almost completely void of color just from rubbing on other sequins. -_-