Thread: Overview of 6 Hampton Roads beaches

Post Overview of 6 Hampton Roads beaches

I've now swam at 6 of the beaches in the Hampton Roads area. Here's my take on them based on my experience, for those interested/curious. Feel free to jump in with your opinions/observations about the beaches in the area too Btw, all the bathrooms I've run across have showers attached to them as well.

Yorktown Beach: No waves, calm waters. Swimming area is too small and shallow for much mermaid fun. There are rocks for pictures though. Couldn't find public showers/bathrooms. No lifeguards. Parking can be hard to come by.

Buckroe Beach: Small waves. Nice size swimming area with decent depth. There are rocks, but they're covered in really sharp barnacles so not good for photos on the rocks- plus the jetski rental take out/drop off point is right on one side. There are public bathrooms. Supposed to have life guards, but I have yet to actually see any. If it's windy, the soft sand turns the place into a sandblaster. There are piers, one appears to be a no fishing pier that people can swim next to without worrying about fishing hooks (and people sit on the beach underneath it for shade as well). Seems to be pretty busy most of the time. Good sized parking lot.

Huntington Park Beach: No waves, calm waters. Smallish swimming area, pretty shallow all the way out to the edge of the swimming area, so not great. Lifeguards present until 6pm during the summer season. There are public bathrooms. Lots of parking.

Ocean View Beach: Specifically, the "Community Beach Park". Very small waves. No swimming area, no life guards. Deep enough to swim, but also to stand up if there's an issue. There are rocks that have minimal barnacles (last I checked). I was able to get on some and do video without scraping my tail (checked the rocks with my hands first). There are public bathrooms. Parking typically not hard to find in the parking lot.
    There is another public beach about a mile or less up from this one (had vacation apartment/home rentals around the entrance), but I didn't see any public parking so I haven't been there yet.

Chesapeake Bay Beach: Very small waves, but when I've been there there's been a current that will take you down the beach decently quick. Mostly shallow but got up to waist deep (was there shortly after high tide). Decently busy. No life guards, couldn't find any public bathrooms- though they're apparently there somewhere. Had to cross the bridge and go to the boat launch to use public bathrooms there. Parking is on the street, can be hard to find a spot.

Virginia Beach: Lots of rough waves- trying to get in past the surf in a tail would be a challenge. Very busy beach- it is a tourist town, after all. Lifeguards and public bathrooms. For parking you typically have to park at a garage and walk to the beach.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

bumping for the summer season coming up

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr