Thread: Newbie in NC

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod

Newbie in NC

Hello! I've admired mer stuff for a while now, I enjoy swimming and costuming/cosplay and it seemed like a fun way to combine the two. I've just been holding off because of cost and knowing how hard it can be to fit fins if you can't try them in person, especially since at a woman's size 6 I'm sort of on the upper end of kids sized or the lower end of adult sizes. But today I noticed a Mermaid Linden monofin at Walmart and carefully unboxed it and tried it on. It fit well! I reboxed and bought it and I'll be trying it out in the water soon. Hopefully things go well and I can get and/or make some tails. I've made my own swimsuits before, so working on a tail seems like a fun challenge.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)

Newbie in NC

Hello! Welcome, I am glad you found a monofin! I also wear a size 6, so I can help out with finding fins!

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mermaid_Izzy; 07-09-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Welcome to the Mernetwork. Did you already had a design in mind when you start that tail?
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Welcome to Mernetwork! Your merfolk endeavours are at your fingertips. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum on foot size, I'm a 10/10.5 so finding fins is a task.
    Mela.Mermaid

Welcome Duae! Finding fins that fit can be very tricky so I'm glad you were able to find one that works for you! Also good luck on buying/ making tails, making them is such a rewarding experience!

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod
    Thank you for all the kind comments! I'm very lucky that my father has a pool and I have a summer long invitation to come over and use it as long as I help out with the upkeep. Going over on spring weekends to help clear off all the nasty leaves from the cover and so on is very much worth it.

Mermaid_Izzy, knowing which fins are likely to fit would be a huge help.

Slim
    I've got a few ideas. I've got a swimsuit made out of https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/15163 already and a matching tail would be fun. I'd just need to pick a good fabric for the fluke, either a custom printed piece or just start with a solid sparkly/shimmery solid color spandex to match the tail. I've also been eyeing https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3272 as a base for a Lapis Lazuli (from Steven Universe) inspired swimsuit and it would match well with blue tail too! Of course my very favorite color though is purple, so there will likely be a very purple tail sometime in my future.

Melamermaid_KendraThat is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum! And I am sure One Size Fits Most ends up just covering the very middle ranges.

Sea~Phoenix Savannah Thank you. I had previously tried on a kid's Finis Mermaid at Target and it was too small so I was really excited that the Linden fit.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duae View Post
    Mermaid_Izzy, knowing which fins are likely to fit would be a huge help.
    I have wider feet so most of the time I wear a 6.5, but I have found that the medium MagicTail fin works.

The S for the Finis Luna fits good and the M size fits very loose in the foot pockets, but you can adjust the straps to fit.

I got a M Finis Shooter and it fits well around my ankles and the top of my feet, but it's very roomy at the bottom of my foot pockets.

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duae View Post
    Sea~Phoenix Savannah Thank you. I had previously tried on a kid's Finis Mermaid at Target and it was too small so I was really excited that the Linden fit.
    For sure!