Thread: Iridescent (polyamide) basket wrap in silicone

Iridescent (polyamide) basket wrap in silicone

Does anyone know if a fluke/fins can be made, either with dragonskin, or with silicone caulking, by sealing layers of this wrap, inside the silicone? I am thinking of laying down some silicone in the basic shape I want, laying the wrap in it, while it's wet, then after it dries a bit, then sculpt the outside details and veining into another layer of lightly pigmented silicone. This would be done in two halves, and connected on the sides, to form a sleeve around the monofin. It's for a neoprene sequin hybrid tail. I would have to make the fluke and then attach it to the neoprene body, before sequining. I'm notsure yet if I want to sequin the ridges and veins or not. Probably not. But the point, is to make the fluke both translucent and iridescent.

I used iridescent organza to get that effect
    Name:  26.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  136.9 KB

That's awesome!

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

I don't think it will work with the plastic film because it is plastic, i would try organza or organdy

Sent from my LG-M210 using MerNetwork mobile app

I think so too, I just have all of this from last year. LOL. At this point, I have so many projects I want to do, but I have to use the older materials and designs first.

I can see why the plastic wouldn't stick to silicone BUT I can see encasing the silicone over a piece of plastic working. If you had a piece of silicone as a base and laid a piece of plastic on top of that (slightly smaller than the base) and covered the plastic with another layer of silicone (same size as base), that would probably be an effective way to get translucent and iridescent fins without the use of pigments or additional materials. It may even work better if you had smaller pieces of plastic instead of one larger piece since the silicone would have more bonding points than if you just did the one larger piece. In this case, the silicone layers would bond to each other on the perimeter and gaps between the plastic piece.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I can only just imagine the faint 'crinkling' noise it would make as you swim. That would drive me crazy, lol

LOL