Thread: SunTails Monofin Review

SunTails Monofin Review

Hello Merfolk!

I recently did a review for Suntails and am very impressed with them. The selection is amazing! Let me know if you have tried them out! A discount code is included if you were interested in buying.

CHECK IT OUT HERE.

M

So would you recommend this for a beginner?

Absolutely!

I think Suntails is a really good place to start. The fin is comfortable and not so big so you can learn to swim in it.

Make sure to use the promo code APEverythingmermaid050117 for a discount!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

M

Quote Originally Posted by mollythemermaid View Post
    Absolutely!

I think Suntails is a really good place to start. The fin is comfortable and not so big so you can learn to swim in it.

Make sure to use the promo code APEverythingmermaid050117 for a discount!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

M
    Thank you so much!

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    I seriously doubt you will regret obtaining the Sun Tails. I would advise following their directions about rinsing and washing - the foot pocket comes off the fin itself, and NOT keeping the pocket tightly fastened to the fin will avoid undue stretching over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Bree View Post
    I seriously doubt you will regret obtaining the Sun Tails. I would advise following their directions about rinsing and washing - the foot pocket comes off the fin itself, and NOT keeping the pocket tightly fastened to the fin will avoid undue stretching over time.
    I have the Sun tail monofin and I honestly hadn't thought of not keeping the foot pockets tightly strapped to the fin. Thank you so much for the tip!

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod SelkieCyrus's Avatar

SunTails Monofin Review

i have owned a suntails monofin for a year and a half now, making a few rookie mistakes in the process. this is an observation of their models now and then.

old monofin:
    brand new it worked like a dream. it was light, neutrally buoyant, and much more sturdy than finfun at the time. i would usualy wear it in a mertailor eco-koi skin, or a finfun dragonfly skin. it was amazing at propulsion and it flexed under the hardest kicks and loads i put it through.

con, the nunui is designed for all teens and adults. i bought the nunui thinking it would fit right instead of too tight. unfortunately the footpockets were like wells, and the second strap barely reached my toes at a size 9... nothing a little sewing couldn't fix.

my mistakes started by keeping the footpockets on the monofin. sure i took them on to wash, then i just put it back on when it dried. this most probably the leading cause of the pockets being as stretched out as they are now. this also might explain the stresses it was under year round that lead to the center spine cracking and breaking when i went to swim for the first time this summer.

fortunately, suntails has a lifetime guarantee on their monofins. customer service was amazing. they emailed back the same day, we located the original order, and they shipped me a new monofin insert that week, they even changed the color of the monofin at my request! it arrived timely and i got to test it out today.

new monofin:
    there has been a significant change in the monofin's design. every hard edge that existed before has been rounded out into a smooth seamless design. it is much heftier than the old model, and it is positively buoyant in the water (it floats). i still use it for my finfun skin, as it still fits. and it is just as propulsive and resilient as its counterpart.

con the nunui in its new iteration is still meant for all teens/adults, meaning it still has strapping that is just longer than a size 9 foot.

i did not get a replacement footpocket with this monofin, as it was not part of the guarantee, we all understand, fabric stretches out over time. i am sure all of my difficulties swimming in it recently can all come back around to an old cover that just needs replacing after a year and a half of abuse.

pictures of the design before and after:
    Last edited by SelkieCyrus; 06-06-2018 at 12:01 PM.