Thread: Neoprene and paint?

Neoprene and paint?

Hey!

I'm currently sketching up plans to sew a neoprene tail skin for myself along with some silicone fin inserts from etsy. I plan to paint all the details/scales into it, i've seen what paint is recommended by a mermaid on youtube (a type of screen printing paint) however i'm wondering what kind of sealant to use. I'm also hoping to seal some eco friendly glitter into it too to give it some sparkle in the water!

Would really appreciate any help and advice as this is my first tail. It's a bit of trial and error but i'm really hoping it'll turn out great.

Senior Member Pod of Texas gay-mermaid's Avatar

Follow gay-mermaid on Tumblr
    Im doing something like this for my first tail! I'm going to be using aquarium sealant, its toxic while its curing, but once its dried its skin-safe! it MAY cause slight irritation if you have sensitive skin though.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    in my early days I actually used screen printing ink made by speed ball (comes in a tub like paint!) and heat set it!

I will also be airbrushing colored silicone over the sealant!

Sent from my SM-G935P using MerNetwork mobile app

I've seen the screen painting inks they look great I've just never seen anyone reveal what they seal it with. I didn't think you could use heat on neoprene!

The screen printing ink is very durable if you heat set it appropriately. You could always coat the tail with a layer of dragonskin silicone or GE silicone caulking. Just be careful with it or you might rip the silicone off accidentally. I have a painted neoprene tail with silicone caulking on top and I accidentally peeled some of it off putting it on.

Sent from my LG-H872 using MerNetwork mobile app

ahhh the silicone scares me! Maybe i'm in over my depth and being too ambitious for my first tail...

Quote Originally Posted by MerKatt View Post
    ahhh the silicone scares me! Maybe i'm in over my depth and being too ambitious for my first tail...
    Piping on silicone caulking isnt too bad! A bit tedious, but the results are gorgeous! Getting clear silicone works really well if you paint the neoprene first! Very realistic! I recommend watching the aquamermaid tutorial on diy hybrid tails!

Quote Originally Posted by MerKatt View Post
    I've seen the screen painting inks they look great I've just never seen anyone reveal what they seal it with. I didn't think you could use heat on neoprene!
    Is your neoprene covered? I've ironed on top of my neoprene and my scuba knit just to see what happens and nothing happened to it when done moderately. Also i think some screen printing inks have glitter imbedded in them right? Maybe try some of that? Or glitter blast fabric spraypaint?

Sent from my LG-M210 using MerNetwork mobile app

Add Alicia26 on Facebook
    Yes me too. I am making test pieces. Trying paint under the silicone. On top of the silicone

Alicia