Thread: Suggestions for glue to use for gemstones on silicone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lilija's Avatar

Suggestions for glue to use for gemstones on silicone

So I am looking to customise my top a bit and want to add some gemstones, glitters, ... and now I am searching for glue that will get them to stick on silicone.
    I will swim with it & the materials of the gemstones are plastic, stainless steel and also maybe some netting that I will add later.

What glue do you mers suggest? I live in Europe so it would be easier for an online shop that is located here or maybe even a local shop in Belgium.

Arctic_Spirit_Nixii - from Belgium

Most of us use E6000 glue. It's waterproof and holds perfectly. I use it too for my tops and I'm highly satisfied. The fumes are toxic, though, so be careful. You can buy it here: https://www.kralendorp.nl/detail/119...ube-10-ml-.htm

I've thought about buying E6000 but as you say it is toxic and I want to be super carefull with those things because of my dogs and sick father so maybe there was an alternative...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using MerNetwork mobile app

E6000 won't stick to silicone.

Silpoxy is probably your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LouLouBelle View Post
    E6000 won't stick to silicone.

Silpoxy is probably your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, E6000 will absolutely work on silicone. You know that phrase "like attracts like" or maybe "birds of a feather"? Silicone adhesives are exactly what you need to bond silicone, & E6000 is a clear silicone adhesive.

Definitely try sil poxy first-- its a glue specifically designed for dragon skin silicone. But if that doesn't work, you can get this silicone goo in tubes called "Spikeez" or "Gel A Peel" that sticks nicely to dragon skin. You can get it from ebay or amazon in kits marketed to little girls for jewelry making. It won't be as sparkly as rhinestones, but you can make little dots and lines with it by hand, and they come in pretty metallic colors.

Glitter is much easier-- just thin either sil poxy or dragon skin (there's lots of solvents that will work. My favorite is the odorless thinners for oil paint, or NOVOCS from smooth on, but I'm pretty sure you can also use mineral spirits...test first!), add glitter, and paint it on with a cheap paintbrush! Small glitters work best (fine or micro)-- too big and the glitter might eventually tear its way out of the silicone.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Thank you guys for the tips! 😊

Sent from my ALE-L21 using MerNetwork mobile app