Thread: Fabric Tail recommendations?

Fabric Tail recommendations?

Hey, all! I'm a lurker who has posted once before to introduce myself, but for those whom I haven't met before my name is Amy and I'm an aspiring mermaid from Oklahoma! My question is this: what fabric tailmakers do people recommend? I'd particularly like to put an emphasis on durability and quality, as due to poor health I am completely unable to work. Money is tight, but this is one of the things I have wanted to do for a very very long time! Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I tried to find the right one.

EDIT: I am a plus-sized mer, so please keep that in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FrozenFractal; 07-16-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    FWIW, I got mine from Lori at OnceUponAMermaid. (Etsy) She uses the better quality tricot spandex, and her seamwork (stitching) is really good - overlocked (serged) as well as stretchable. The Sun Tails monofin is FAR better than the not-so-rugged ones that Fin Fun uses.

Definitely recommend Suntails! I have three of their tails and the scale print is so pretty and realistic and the monofin is durable.

I do NOT recommend Finfun, Delfina, or the traditional magictail tails. The monofins of these brands are so tiny and floppy... it doesnt give any propulsion, which makes mermaid swimming a lot less fun. I recommend a mermaid tail with a slightly bigger and stiffer monofin. I myself am a big fan of Mermaid Kat Shop's fabric tails, the monofin is perfect for beginners and the fabric is really good!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

I get pretty good propulsion from my fin fun. Granted I am also a swim instructor and know the correct way to swim. Plus many real monofins are too small for my feet.

I personality recommend Suntails

Sent from my SM-G930V using MerNetwork mobile app

Thanks all for your suggestions! It looks like Mermaid Kat and Suntails don't come in a large enough size for me, unfortunately. Still researching!

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    Talk to Lori : https://www.etsy.com/shop/OnceUponAMermaid she can do a custom. And she uses the Sun Tails monofin.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFractal View Post
    Thanks all for your suggestions! It looks like Mermaid Kat and Suntails don't come in a large enough size for me, unfortunately. Still researching!
    If you have such a size you may want to add it to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    If you have such a size you may want to add it to your question.
    Good point! Just did so. Thanks!

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I recommend Swimtails [the pro line is great] and Mermaid Kat Shop's fabric tails !
    Both have a tooooon of good reviews, and strong monofins!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    I recommend Swimtails [the pro line is great] and Mermaid Kat Shop's fabric tails !
    Both have a tooooon of good reviews, and strong monofins!
    As I said earlier today, it doesn't look like Kat makes tails large enough for me. It's a shame, they're gorgeous!

As for swimtails, I'd seen them advertising their children's tails on Facebook, but I hadn't realized they had anything like that pro line! I might be in love with that koi tail, though I'd been intending to do shades of blue with maybe purple or silver. Thanks for the rec!

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    @FrozenFractal
    You're very welcome!
    You could always repaint the tail, if you can find the right paints! I do agree, though - that koi tail is stunning and so very vibrant!
    < 3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    @FrozenFractal
    You're very welcome!
    You could always repaint the tail, if you can find the right paints! I do agree, though - that koi tail is stunning and so very vibrant!
    < 3
    True enough! I may just save the blues for when I can afford a hybrid or silicone tail. The funny thing about me liking the koi tail so much is that I despise orange! Go figure.