Thread: I float too much

I float too much

So I have a bit of a problem. I am extremely buoyant. Like I can float in 18 inches of water. Well I bought a monofin (Finfun. I love it) and I've been in the process of learning to swim in it before I make a spandex tail to go around it. And I keep floating to the surface when I try to swim. Is there anything I can do to stay deeper in the water for longer? I'm getting pretty good at swimming near the surface but I'm having trouble swimming down further and staying there.

I'm not a particularly large person but I'm tall (I'm 5'10).

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    try weights!
    You can use a lead cushion between your legs like many swimmers do, or a weight belt.
    I was like you when I started, but after diving/swimming with a weight belt for half a year or so (I gradually reduced the weight),
    I no longer need one.
    Although I still float up eventually in shallow water when not moving, but that is entirely normal.
    Underwater models wouldn't dream of doing something without weights

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    Divers do it all the time! The idea is to achieve 'neutral buoyancy', meaning, you neither sink, NOR float, but sort of just 'hang there' in the water.

First time I tried a tail was during a freediving course and the instructor pretty quickly gave me a weight belt to swim with, one weight was enough to help at least for most tricks. Wore three when we went snorkelling and it's funny how little they really weigh you down compared to the buoyancy of a wetsuit. I'd say try just one weight and add more if you need them. I'm gonna have to convince my pool's lifeguards not to freak out at the mention of weights...

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    I don't have a tail, but I feel you about floating!
    I am an extreme floater. Sometimes it's nice, like when your at a water-park, and you can just lay on your back during a wave pool session and never get water in your eyes. But usually, it's irritating (for me anyways). I love diving deep into pools/lakes, but I always float back to the top. Once, I dropped my goggles (which I don't use anymore) while swimming in a 8ft deep pool, and I couldn't get it back! Some nice guy got it for me.

I basically found out that if I deeply exhale before going in it helps a decent amount, or I dive and stay low until my buoyancy floats me to the top.

Mermaid Kane is on the right track; if you reduce the amount of air in your lungs you will be able to sink easier. You don't want to exhale too much though--then you won't have any air to work with. Try diving with different amounts of air in your lungs and see what works best for you. Then, as you gain more strength and experience, it won't be as much of a problem. Of course you can use weights as well, but learning how to use your muscles to control your body in the water should be your first goal before using weights, which if used improperly/by someone inexperienced can potentially drown you :X

Best of luck!

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAiera View Post
    If you reduce the amount of air in your lungs you will be able to sink easier. You don't want to exhale too much though--then you won't have any air to work with. Try diving with different amounts of air in your lungs and see what works best for you.
    This! I can't hold my breath for a fraction of the time if I exhale. Make sure you get get back to the surface quickly.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    I basically found out that if I deeply exhale before going in it helps a decent amount.
    yes it helps, but don't dive deep when you have fully exhaled.
    You can get a lung squeeze, especially when you are used to be floaty, power down, and find you shoot down suddenly when on exhale.
    Even the deep end of a pool can be too deep in such a case, so be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    yes it helps, but don't dive deep when you have fully exhaled.
    You can get a lung squeeze, especially when you are used to be floaty, power down, and find you shoot down suddenly when on exhale.
    Even the deep end of a pool can be too deep in such a case, so be careful.
    Yes, like I said in my post above, its essential that you can reach air very quickly.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Resisting the urge to post a pic of Pennywise saying "You'll float too" because I have this same problem. I haven't tried weights, but one thing that helped me a lot was switching to a less floppy monofin. With my mahina I can propel myself forward faster than I float to the surface. The fin fun was good for starting out and their tail skins are fantastic, but after trying other monofins like the mahina and finis wave I can feel how it limits you. Try getting a different monofin, I know there are a few that will fit in a fin fun skin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MerNetwork mobile app
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaīs Nin