Thread: GoPro filming anyone else?

GoPro filming anyone else?

I have a go pro hero 5 session. Anyone else film with a go pro, have any advice? I'll be doing this by myself most likely in my boyfriends pool. Am afraid to take it in the water even thow it says water proof to 33ft. Do any of y'all do work with the go pro?

I have a GoPro 3 Black Edition that I've been using for 4 years. So I don't know about all the new features, but I have some experience with them in general. I wrote a thread that I stickied in this section with some of my information, and some others have chimed in as well (https://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?13891) Definitely read the manual and play around with it a bit before you go in the water. Also, preset all your settings before you get in the water as well so you don't have to mess around with it. Like setting the video to your preferred settings- for me 1080p, 60fps, wide, protune on, 5500K white balance (for shooting in daylight), neutral color, and maybe some others that I can't remember. Turn WiFi and wireless controls off because it drains battery, and wifi doesn't work underwater anyway.

I know it's nerve wracking to put the camera in the water after you spent all that money on it! Here's something I did to make myself feel better: Take the camera out of the waterpoof case, fold a paper towel up and/or cut it to the size that it touches all the edges inside the case. Close the case and submerge it in a bucket, sink of water, tub, ect. Weigh it down with something if it floats. Leave it there for a while (an hour or two, if you'd like). Take it out, dry of the case, then open it up. See if the paper towel is wet at all. If not, it should be good to go!

That's all I can think of at the moment but I am really tired :P Just play around with it and have some fun!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Salty's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Salty On Twitter Add Mermaid Salty on Facebook
    I don't think the Hero 5 comes out of the case, unlike some of the earlier models. Satine, it is nerve wracking putting such an expensive item in the water for the first time, but you can actually see if the seal has closed properly because the plastic right around that area is clear. The clasp is very cleverly designed so nothing fancy is necessary to ensure your unit is water tight. I've been using mine for a year in pools, at the beach, setting it up to film my ducks outside all day in any weather. They have made a superior product and if you follow the instructions, you should not have any issues with water getting in.

I've got the Hero 5 and you're right, it doesn't need a waterproof case.

All I could think while slowly submersing it for the first time was "please don't break, please don't break, please don't break!!"

It was fine. I did find the touch screen a bit difficult when it was wet, so I'd recommend having a towel at the side of the pool to give it a quick dry if you want to do anything with the touch screen.

It's a fantastic little camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I have the HERO4 Session and it doesn't need a waterproof casing. It's waterproof for 10 metres underwater even though I have to say I was a little nervous submerging it in water fro the first time It's a wonderful little camera that's small and easy to use
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

I didn't know the new ones didn't even need a case- woah! I haven't dared to really look at the specs for the new ones, because I knew I'd want to buy one :P Maybe once mine dies.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr