Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Tailmaking Journey

My Tailmaking Journey

So this is just going to be an ongoing personal thread, documenting my progress on any and all tails I do. I'm starting with just a neoprene skin to go with my mahina. But I have plans for many more. Monofins and accessories, included. Anyone is welcome to join in, though please, no drama, and no sales pitches. There are times that I am not so verbal, though I am very blunt and honest, and I have a lot of projects going at any given time, so you really can expect anything from me. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lotusauriel; 07-19-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Duct tape dummies. Yes. Duct tape. Not packing tape. Packing tape doesn't flex enough. But latex. Yeah. I got it done, and then covered it up in plastic wrap, so I can still use it with silicone. BUT. Latex. I was hoping I could squeak by without having a reaction.... No such luck. Hands are raw and sore as shell. And my bones ache. Yay.
    So kids, when you want to make costuming appliances, out of liquid latex....DO NOT mold them directly on your skin. You WILL regret it later in life.

That sequin fabric tail skin thingy was a failed attempt from last year. Though looking at it on my dummy, I wonder if I could make it work, after all.

20170719/30bb78d8b85351bb2b6d88ff4a5a7665.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by lotusauriel; 07-21-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    Duct tape dummies. Yes. Duct tape. Not packing tape. Packing tape doesn't flex enough. But latex. Yeah. I got it done, and then covered it up in plastic wrap, so I can still use it with silicone. BUT. Latex. I was hoping I could squeak by without having a reaction.... No such luck. Hands are raw and sore as shell. And my bones ache. Yay.
    So kids, when you want to make costuming appliances, out of liquid latex....DO NOT mold them directly on your skin. You WILL regret it later in life.

That sequin fabric tail skin thingy was a failed attempt from last year. Though looking at it on my dummy, I wonder if I could make it work, after all.20170719/30bb78d8b85351bb2b6d88ff4a5a7665.jpg[/IMG]

There's latex in ducktape...I did not know that.

Sent from my VS425PP using MerNetwork mobile app
    Mermaid Mikayla

Does anyone know anything about Lexel?

Side project, testing Lexel, as an adhesive, for now. The tops will be covered, and yes, it is setting up well. Calling these MerFeet.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Looks like the start to something great.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Thank you.

Looks Amazing!!! I am wondering if I need to make a duct tape dummy to paint my fabric tail. I have plans to make 3 tails. So I might as well get it out of the way. I like how you use pool noodles to support it. Did you use a particular tutorial?

Sent from my VS988 using MerNetwork mobile app
    You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.

Thank you! I didn't. I think I saw where someone else used them, and it was a great idea. This way, I have something to put my monofin on, and I can also attach a wire or hanger to hang it up. I started with wearing trash bags. I should have just taped over that, but I have a 6" shrink wrap roller for moving, which is what the green wrap is. Taped over that, then shrink wrapped it again. They do tend to want to puff out from front to back as much as horizontally, so you have to compensate for that, or I am thinking about just tufting it in a few key places. like on furniture cushions, where there are buttons or dips that pull the sides in. For you, a duct tape dummy would keep your fabric tail stretched out so that the painting won't contract and distort later.

Last edited by lotusauriel; 07-25-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Are you planning on covering the mahina with the sequins too? That way you can make the fin removable to use in other fabric tails. That is how I did mine. or do you plan to use the mahina in the neoprene tail? Tailmaking is exciting..good luck. ..look forward to seeing the progress

Quote Originally Posted by shimmygoddess View Post
    Are you planning on covering the mahina with the sequins too? That way you can make the fin removable to use in other fabric tails. That is how I did mine. or do you plan to use the mahina in the neoprene tail? Tailmaking is exciting..good luck. ..look forward to seeing the progress
    I am starting with a painted neoprene skin, with the iridized shelf liner for a fluke cover and fins. The mahina will be removable. After that, the sequin one will have silicone fluke and fins. I have several tail designs in mind. I will also eventually be making a scalemaille one, and possibly full silicone. It depends on how well I like the other ones.

I am starting with a painted neoprene skin, with the iridized shelf liner for a fluke cover and fins. The mahina will be removable. After that, the sequin one will have silicone fluke and fins. I have several tail designs in mind. I will also eventually be making a scalemaille one, and possibly full silicone. It depends on how well I like the other ones.

Inside: tracing vs. Outside: actual measurements divided by 2. This is just for the neoprene for now. Not sure if I should compensate for a little more gut than butt, or if the stretch will accomodate. Also have no seam allowances, except on the monofin and slightly on the ankle. Because of the stretch. But I also don't want it to stretch too much, and have to add 2 zippers. I am done for the night. Time to make cookies and go to bed.

I know I am skipping around from project to project, but I got some bifins that I think will work well for the melusine I'm doing.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel

Sounds great! I'm also using a mahina for my tail! I'm going to make a full sequin tail but instead of neoprene I'm using scuba knit. Can't wait to see your progress updates! Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Add Alicia26 on Facebook
    Hello. I am also making my first tail and have a mahina fin. Im using neoprene first up. Possibly painting orca markings on it, covering in silicone or sewing on scales.
    Not sure yet.

Sent from my SM-G900I using MerNetwork mobile app

I have a love/hate relationship with my monofins. They kill my feet, but you're supposed to eventually get used to it, and nothing else moves like a mahina merfin. I do still eventually want a Finis Luna to play with, but as of now, even from watching videos, it just seems like with everything else, you have to work harder to get the same amount of distance as the mahina. The only thing I have ever swam in, is the mahina, and it really does flow and make me feel like a mermaid. All the other ones, on other people, just look like someone working too hard to get somewhere. I really wish it wasn't latex rubber, but I guess for me, I still made the right choice. I will still be attempting to make my own monofins as well, but for now this is the best I have found. Onward with the tail making.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia26 View Post
    Hello. I am also making my first tail and have a mahina fin. Im using neoprene first up. Possibly painting orca markings on it, covering in silicone or sewing on scales.
    Not sure yet.

Sent from my SM-G900I using MerNetwork mobile app
    Hi! This really is addictive, isn't it? The discovering and designing seems to be half the fun, at least for me. Can't wait to see what you do.

Still no fluke cover, and no bottom seams. The body won't come down quite this far on the fluke, but this is the basic shape. That ankle bulge won't be there once the fluke cover is added. The waist is also not done yet, and I finished the side seams. Not sure if I want to add hip and heel fins or not. Forgot about that when I was sewing it, and did french seams. That means I also sewed the loose edges down. I will be painting this first, then later sewing on the resin coated sequins. The fluke cover and dorsal are going to be either shelf liner over green, blue, and iridescent polyamide, or pigmented silicone. I haven't yet decided.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Great ideas! Can't wait to see the finished product!