Thread: Pigmented acrylics below silicone?

Senior Member Euro Pod

Question Pigmented acrylics below silicone?

I wanted to pigment paint with the same pigments I used for my tail, then paint the neoprene and once that's dry put silicone over the paint. I'm using caulk, that's why I can't just add paint to the silicone. But I have no idea if this would even work, thoughts?

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Ah wait crap, paint doesn't take powdered pigments well. But would acrylics work below silicone? I think I'll be able to get a fairly accurate colour with just acrylics. Kind of don't want to buy more pigments, they're super expensive...

I think I read somewhere that you can mix a little acrylic paint in with caulking silicone to both color and thin it, but I haven't done it yet. I just plan on thinning the silicone with naptha, and adding pearl ex. I think that as long as you use good fabric paints, and don't saturate the nylon, so the silicone still has something to bind to, it should work.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

I'd go to an art store and see if they have a medium that could take your powdered pigments. For example, I'm pretty certain Jacquard makes different mediums specifically for their pearl ex pigments. (Not sure, because I've never tried that!) And lotusauriel is also right-- if you create too much of a barrier with paint over the fabric, then the silicone will have trouble soaking into the fabric to grip itself. If you leave enough unpainted patches between the paint, or only paint thin layers, you should be fine. (Test patches! )
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Lol. When I was talking about "good fabric paint", I actually meant the Lumiere ones,,which are Jacquard. I'm not sure they actually mention different mediums for the pearlex, but I have made dip pen ink from them. They are awesome for almost anything. And I can't wait to try the Lumiere on neoprene. Honestly, I would just google it. And chances are, google will route you right back here, but to any specific threads talking about it.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk