Thread: Heart Problems and Mermaiding

Heart Problems and Mermaiding

Hi, so as the title says heart problems and mermaiding. I guess you could figure it out...maybe. But I had an ASD which basically means there was a hole in my heart and its now filled so everything's good. But I'm afraid that my heart wouldn't be able to handle a silicone tail.

I am able to effectively and safely swim competitively for around five+ hours and never have any problems. And I've been swimming for around three years with a fabric tail.

I've also been working on my body strength and cardio but apart of me still is afraid that the weight would be too much.

Are there any mers out there with heart problems and swim with silicone tails?

My doctor says swimming is good for me but I still haven't brung up mermaiding. I will when I see them again in a few months. If anyone knows please reply! Thanks.

Sent from my VS425PP using MerNetwork mobile app
    Mermaid Mikayla

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I have one as well and I have been fine! I just get checked out every year.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I have one as well and I have been fine! I just get checked out every year.
    I do too, and it gets annoying going to the doctor once year. And you had an ASD?

Mermaid Mikayla

I have a small hole from being born premature. Mine is lower (so not on top) and it just causes me a murmur it's really small. It has mostly closed on it's own and I haven't needed surgery but I get checked out just in case.

I do find I get chest pain if I do cardio at too strong a pace. But mermaiding has never caused it.

I'm not a doctor, but in my opinion, if you can spend that long competitive swimming, and you've spent years in a fabric tail, you should have no issue at all with a silicone tail. It's only heavy out of the water It can seem like a lot at first when you're carrying it around, but you get use to it.. In the water they don't feel heavy or create drag. At least in my experience- some tails wight gigantic floaty flukes may give you some drag. I think you've taken a lot of precaution, and shown that your body and heart are very capable of handling a silicone tail

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    I'm not a doctor, but in my opinion, if you can spend that long competitive swimming, and you've spent years in a fabric tail, you should have no issue at all with a silicone tail. It's only heavy out of the water It can seem like a lot at first when you're carrying it around, but you get use to it.. In the water they don't feel heavy or create drag. At least in my experience- some tails wight gigantic floaty flukes may give you some drag. I think you've taken a lot of precaution, and shown that your body and heart are very capable of handling a silicone tail
    Thank you so much. This is reassuring!

Mermaid Mikayla

I have a small hole from being born premature. Mine is lower (so not on top) and it just causes me a murmur it's really small. It has mostly closed on it's own and I haven't needed surgery but I get checked out just in case.

I do find I get chest pain if I do cardio at too strong a pace. But mermaiding has never caused it.
    Ok, that's good that mermaiding wouldn't hurt it, and I've been getting chest pain, but normally if I take a few pain meds it dissapears. Mine was also from being a premature, but never shown up until a few years ago...

But I'm glad you are doing well, and didn't have to go through surgery. I hope you can continue your buisness and it continues to go far!

Mermaid Mikayla

yay for a fellow premie. we were in such a rush to get here and start living lol

yay for a fellow premie. we were in such a rush to get here and start living lol
    Yes, we were weren't we? Lol
    Mermaid Mikayla