Thread: What to learn/know with swimming before using a tail?

What to learn/know with swimming before using a tail?

I'm sorry if this question comes off as super-noobish but since I can't even tread water for more than 5 min yet, I'd rather be safe than sorry before getting a tail. (I'm taking swimming lessons)

Also I'm sorry again if this question has been asked before (If it was I'd love to be directed to it and what not)

For me, I only really plan to be in a fabric tail. Maybe in the future a silicone tail, but all I really want is to swim in a Fin Fun tail. They always have younger kids who can swim really well.

Plus, I only really use the public pool or my family friends' (who live far) pool so swimming too often isn't entirely possible LOL.
    I know the dolphin kick is really important but what other basic swimming abilities should I be able to do before I get a tail? I've read that you should be able to tread, and generally be a strong swimmer as well as the dolphin kick, but what other things should I remember before swimming? Should I exercise my core?

Thanks!

Since you mentioned FinFun you can start there on their Tail Safety Info page. They have some videos of what you should be able to do prior to swimming in a tail. Here is the main video I had in Mind:

While it is a good idea to already know the dolphin kick - from my experience the monofin taught me how to do the dolphin kick and previously I had never done the dolphin kick except perhaps with bi-fins. The main thing is you want to understand how to move your body fluidly. I recently let some young girls use my monofin and I swam with them the whole way to make sure they were safe. Most of them were decent at using the fin, but some of them tried bending their knees and kicking horizontally which of course hardly got them anywhere. Just watching a few mermaid swim videos can help you get a good idea of how you should move your body. Looking up videos of people practicing with a monofin in the pool helps too.

Exercise is always good. Working out your core is good but also working out your legs can help too for treading water. Building up some stamina will be good so that you won't get tired so quickly.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    I would highly suggest swimming lessons. Consider that in an emergency situation, after stripping your tail and fin off, NOW what do you do?

Interestingly, I took my shiny new Sun Tails fin to the local pool - (they cleared just the monofin, but I'm OK with that) Mind you, I haven't gone seriously swimming in like over 25 years... For me anyway, the monofin was a no-brainer! Tested it on my feet in the water pool-side to get the feel. Then slipped in and did a whole bunch of laps (surface only - no underwater swimming at the pool) using the dolphin kick with breast stroke and also on my back with JUST the dolphin kick. I LOVE IT.... Bear in mind though that I had learned swimming very early on with water safety.

Thanks! I'll remember about that mono fin and the dolphin kick. I suppose for now I shouldn't worry TOO much about it then. And thanks for the video ^^

Yeah, I mentioned I started swimming lessons I'm doing more next summer after this one!

But that sounds good! I don't have any flippers or monofins yet but I'll be getting one with the Fin Fun. And I'll remember to make sure I know my water safety

You may want learn how to put everything off quickly for an emergency situation.

Ooh certainly. I know Fin Fun has a way to kick the tail off easily but that's def important!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm sort of the deviation from the rule. I could barely swim when I started as a mermaid- but do let me make it clear way back then I was just looking to do it for fun. I never put my head underwater because I always got bad ear infections, and I have a disorder that gave me problems with my muscles. I could barely swim.

I started in a fabric and sucked, then I moved to a semi realistic tail and still sucked! I could paddle around on the surface, but even with ear plugs I floated so bad I couldn't get under very well.

But when I moved on up to silicone, the silicone tail and a competitor monofin made a world of difference for me. All of a sudden I was able to move so well and it gave me so much confidence. I was doing flips and twirls in no time, and now have done shows for an aquarium, filmed underwater for TV and music videos, and even ran a swim school.

it's all a journey and I think each person's experience will be different. Many people say fabric first but I have met many mers who have had no issue going right to silicone- while others found it to be too much.

I think the thing that is the most important regardless of skill is always safety.

That's an interesting story! You're honestly the first person I've heard of that started out swimming better with silicone. Personally, silicone is so heavy for me that I don't think that my weak little legs could handle it yet LOL But I can see where it can be different for others.

And yeah, I agree. I think a tail could be enjoyable as long as you know your limits and safety first.

I am a lifeguard and swim teacher that started my mermaid journey after swimming for years and taking every swim level. I learned about mermaiding and practiced for about a month before tailing up, doing the dolphin kick whenever I could using flippers or anything remotely like flipppers (fun fact: I used by dads rubber sandals backwards as a pair of flippers) I have never really been great at the dolphin kick (still am not tbh) but as soon as I put on that monofin - BAM! It really helps shape your kick and give you confidence to do it. However, I would recommend working on being STREAMLINED in the water: tight core, straight limbs and pointed toes and practice pushing off the wall in that manner. Also, learning to scull and tread water will help you enormously. Practice pushing the water using just your arms to keep you afloat, having closed fingers and using the inside of your arms to push the water around. Additionally, try to figure out your own buoyancy in the water aka how well you can sink or float with your legs together. Floating is very important as cramps can happen and being able to rest on the surface will keep you from panicking in the tail.
    Hope that this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Omg hello, I've watched your videos often

Thanks for those tips! I'll be sure to remember them and practice them in water
    With all the answers with the monofin I guess its safe to say the dolphin kick is just easier in it :P In that case I'll probably work on other swimming skills I need and get to the dolphin kick when I get a mono fin or even just flippers.
    As far as I know, I feel as though I'm very...buoyant. I seem to float to the surface very easily even if I really get into the water but I still haven't got all the experience to know for sure.

Thanks for your discussion. My daughter has a mermaid as her favorite cartoon character and wants to learn how to swim like a mermaid, so we signed up for a swimming course. Unfortunately, I was not able to teach her to swim until the age of 5, because work in medical school personal statement writing service takes a lot of time. She will go to a famous swimming school and I hope to learn quickly.
    Last edited by Leonidas Lopez; 05-27-2022 at 07:42 AM.