Thread: Foot pain?

Foot pain?

Is it normal for new mers to have foot pain? I tried making my own monofin with scuba fins a few years ago, and I just got a Finis Rapid. Both ways I experienced pain across the middle of my feet after only a few minutes of swimming whereas my normal fins don't bother me at all. Do I need to do some kind of strengthening exercises every day to prepare my feet for this? Swimming in the monofin puts different pressure on my feet than fins.
    My mom always said her kids must be part fish... apparently she was right!

That which is striking and beautiful is not always good; but that which is good is always beautiful.
    ~ Ninon de L'Enclos

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MerMaiden Lissa View Post
    Is it normal for new mers to have foot pain? I tried making my own monofin with scuba fins a few years ago, and I just got a Finis Rapid. Both ways I experienced pain across the middle of my feet after only a few minutes of swimming whereas my normal fins don't bother me at all. Do I need to do some kind of strengthening exercises every day to prepare my feet for this? Swimming in the monofin puts different pressure on my feet than fins.
    Pain in the arches area? I had this pain when I crammed my feet into a child sized monofin. Do you swim with socks? Maybe try swimming without socks for a looser fit, and to put your feet further into the foot pocket.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I have the wave (the smaller version of the rapid) and I get this same pain! I thought it was because it wasn't wide enough but maybe not...Hmm. Well, my foot pain usually subsides if I take breaks from my monofin while I swim every now and then. Take it off a few minutes, kinda stretch my feet, put it back on. I have been meaning to try stretching and some foot strength excersises but yeah, this is normal.

If your fin fits well, chances are the pain is coming from muscles doing things they're not used to doing.

Try googling exercises for ballet feet - you want both stretching and strengthening exercises. The fitter your feet, the more abuse they'll be able to withstand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Welcome to #mermaidproblems

this is 100% normal.

My business actually just did the first tier of a study on mermaid tails (yup) and were shocked by the stress points and amount of force current finis monofins (those were the ones we tested) put on parts of your feet, which gets worse when that fin is in a tail. We have been working on an accessory that would modify foot pockets and make this less painful, and also make the monofins hands free (make it easier to get them on and off)

but yes, mermaids since the dawn of mermaiding have been having this trouble. Even foot pockets will do it, without even using a monofin (I conducted some interviews with the Splash Crew and how that mermaid tail felt/functioned for my book)

There's a few things that can lessen it like wearing thick booties, staying hydrated, and making sure it's a good fit, but in the end I have found most of us- especially after extended use- end up with sore tootsies! proper form helps, but still wont prevent it

I have very long, narrow feet... so maybe some booties will help the monofin stay in place better. I tightened the straps but as soon as I start swimming it feels like it's sliding around on my feet.
    I'm actually glad it's a common mermaid problem and not happening because of my rheumatoid arthritis.
    Raina, I've been following your thread about the study. Super exciting!
    Thanks everyone. I'll work on my ballet stretching and trying to make this thing fit better.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yes I have long skinny feet (flippers bahah) too. I find socks help a lot

If you are having cramps in your feet, you might try change your style of swimming. Most Mers swim going forward with their hands and arms at their sides, with hands almost but not quite touching the knees. Try swimming on your side, with one arm trailing, and the other arm as your "forward rudder." Also, try swimming on your back:
    1) with arms in the streamline position; and 2) with arms and hands by your side, almost but not quite touching the knees. It is common to have foot cramps swimming with bi-fins and monofins with foot pockets that are too short--Finis Zoomers are notorious for inaccurate sizing. Long and skinny feet? Try thick athletic socks for a better fit.
    I have Finis Foil sizing to be accurate. I have a narrow foot at the heal and a wide foot at the toes. The Foil is good in that it doesn't have an adjustable heal strap or buckles. Instead, it is size-specific and has a molded rubber foot strap that stretches to fit the shape of the heal. Good luck, and don't get discouraged.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Haha! I'm not the only one with hamster feet!!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add UtahMermaidPearl on Facebook
    I can't help with cramping or general pain but if you get blisters really bad on your feet you can wrap your entire foot and ankle (up to your toes) in gauze then put on swim socks. It works like a charm!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I have Seavenger neoprene socks that I wear with my merfin and they work like a charm to kill foot pain. They are 3 mm thick. But if I swim for hours on end I will still get pain. It isn't something we can ever truly be rid of.

I think you should try something that is of high nutritional value, which is essential to one’s health. They are rich in minerals such as Magnesium, Zinc, Iron, and potassium. These minerals accelerate the performance of the various parts of the body.

I understand what you mean, I was in a lot of pain, but I was saved by a friend who couldn't watch me suffer. He advised me to order CBD on this website https://joyorganics.com/collections/gummies and said it might help me. CBD gummies had a relaxing effect, all the pains in my body disappeared and it's fine.

Wow, that's an interesting topic of discussion. That's interesting, so these supplements really work, right? I've heard a lot about this supplement, but was worried that all the positive effects the internet says are fake. But then I realized that's not true. I have a website where I saw HHC gummies, and judging by the reviews, it's supposed to be high quality products.