Thread: Finis Shooter vs Trainer vs Competitor

Finis Shooter vs Trainer vs Competitor

So I know the competitor is a really large stiff monofin, if I were looking for a flopper tail it would probably be the shooter or the trainer I'm thinking. I'm wondering what people commonly get in their tails? Are the only differences the lengths of the blade? I'll be doing mostly pool and lake swimming so propulsion isn't a huge factor. Would the trainer be strong while still allowing for a floppy tail?

If you're only casually swimming and propulsion isn't important, DON'T get the competitor. It's far too stiff for the 'floppy' look, and is intended for experienced free divers/competitive swimmers. Plus it's mucho dollas. That said, go with the trainer or shooter--you won't really get 'flop' with any of these fins though--they're naturally too stiff for that, but softer than the competitor. You'll need to supplement the fluke with a sheet of plastic or something that will flop over if you want a shape other than the stiff shape if the monofin.

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I'd recommend the foil. Mers use it in their tails who want the floppy look but still want decent propulsion. You could also get the leaderfins sport monofin which costs MUCH less than the competitor and you can choose the stiffness of the blade to get decent propulsion but still get somewhat of a floppy look.
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Oh, I second the foil for sure!

Maybe the Mahina monofin.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    The Mahina has great propulsion and looks mermaid-y in the water but it isn't floppy when its on land.
    My tail with the Mahina:

Mermaid Iona's tail with the trainer:

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post

Sent from my LG-H872 using MerNetwork mobile app

Banned
    Follow MermaidAnnabella On Twitter
    Visit MermaidAnnabella's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by The Water Phoenix View Post
    I'd recommend the foil. Mers use it in their tails who want the floppy look but still want decent propulsion. You could also get the leaderfins sport monofin which costs MUCH less than the competitor and you can choose the stiffness of the blade to get decent propulsion but still get somewhat of a floppy look.
    Do you have a suggestion for what type of leaderfins sport monofin? Options on Amazon are: extra hard softness, hard softness, medium softness, soft softness.

Don't get a fiberglass or carbon blade to start with, no matter the stiffness. The Leaderfins sport monofin is a piece of professional freediving equipment. If you want a larger monofin that us flexible then get the Mahina. Otherwise stick to the foil or smaller plastic fins.

I have a competitor and it’s...terrifyingly amazing. It was much better for me than the FinFun monofin as I’m bigger + taller + apparently kick more haha. I cut mine into a mermaid shape because it’s Huge with a capital H (27” by 30”) and a lot of smaller tailmakers charge extra for something that big. I figured I would just cut it down and make a fabric skin *shrugs*

If you’re just doing pool swimming, the Foil is a nice choice. That one’s very flowy and easy to maneuver, encourages proper technique, is very inexpensive, and is much easier to do tricks in.

A good amount of the “flop” in tails is because that’s the point where the monofin ends and the extra thinner material hangs over. It can happen with a lot of different fins. I did notice that tails with the Mahina are made exactly to shape, though.

In any case, best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAnnabella View Post
    Do you have a suggestion for what type of leaderfins sport monofin? Options on Amazon are: extra hard softness, hard softness, medium softness, soft softness.
    The stiffness has to do with your weight. I emailed Leaderfins and they gave me the specific weight for each stiffness. I can't find the email, but I recommend you email them. They will usually get back to you within a few days!

If you do much pool swimming, the Finis Competitor is not suitable. It has a wide blade, and the sharp, pointed tips can injure someone else who might be sharing your lane. The Trainer and Shooter have rounded tips, but can still injure others with their fiberglass blades. The Foil is the way to go — it is all rubber, gives plenty of thrust, and will not hurt either the wearer or someone else who might be sharing the lane. I have had a Foil for more than a year, and it has been wonderful to swim with.