Thread: Open your eyes?

Senior Member Pod of The South thatotakugalaxy's Avatar
    Add thatotakugalaxy on Facebook

Open your eyes?

When your swimming in a spring, do you open your eyes? My friend was saying to get clear googles, but Idk if those exist.. i'm scared to open them and get stuff stuck in my eyes xD

What do you guys do? Use googles? Open your eyes and be brave?

The mermaid Amelia has sent her regards.
    St Augustine FL mermaid! I'm a bit crazy, but I swear I can be fun to be around

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Alexander Spring is safe to open your eyes so it's safe in most springs. Goggles always you to clearly see the beauty underneath the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

I second Slim. The water doesn't sting at all and you can see pretty well. Freshwater doesn't do any harm, at least if it's clear and clean

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    There are some clear goggles, but honestly, if you want to open your eyes it should be fine!
    It shouldn't sting at all, or not much, because it's freshwater - no chlorine, no salt! Try it and see if it works for you!

You can always do what Raina suggests and get eye gel, which keeps your eyes moist and helps you, even in salt water, to keep your eyes open without much irritation!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotakugalaxy View Post
    My friend was saying to get clear googles, but Idk if those exist..
    there are many brands, the most well-known are swedish goggles:
    Name:  51UZynVbZDL._AC_UL320_SR284,320_.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  8.5 KB
    you can get them for 8$ on amazon

and I use goggles everywhere except in my own pool, because there are many microorganisms in water, and I value my eyesight...

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    and I use goggles everywhere except in my own pool, because there are many microorganisms in water, and I value my eyesight...
    because of microorganisms there is chlorine in the pool. However I would not dive with those because of the pressure. I prefer a divers mask or nothing.

So this is sort of on topic....I am blind as a bat, and I wear contacts. Obviously I can't open my eyes underwater work my contacts in, so it's either googles or no contacts.

I'm concerned about seeing in the water without my contacts. Are any other mers out there contact wearers?

Sent from my Pixel using MerNetwork mobile app

I am. And I have just been wearing goggles. But I am not trying to keep them hidden. Also remember, that when you dive deep, the pressure will force the goggles into your skin, and be really uncomfortable. I don't have one yet, but apparently a full mask is needed. I really don't like not being able to see, and I don't really take good care of my contacts/eyes. I was hoping to get lasik and fix the problem entirely, but I was told that it would not work with diving or swimming deep. If anyone else knows about this, I am really interested in finding a good solution too.

I wear contacts and I was inspired by one Weeki Wachee mermaid when I was watching a behind the scenes video of the mermaids getting ready before a show. One of the girls wears contacts and of course underwater she doesn't have them in and performs all those amazing tricks without them!

A tip I have read is to put on goggles when you are swimming in an un-familiar place. Get the idea of where everything is then you can take off your goggles and swim around.

If you do plan on swimming without a mask, be sure to bring your contact solution, contact case, extra contacts, and hand sanitizer with you (or wear glasses that day).

Speaking of glasses, FaithOnTheBass swims with her glasses on.

I recently got clear goggles somewhat similar to the ones Echidna shows above. Here they are:
    Name:  type-1-aquasphere-kayenne-clear.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  40.2 KB

They look nicer on your face but I personally am in love with my full mask goggles even though they make me look stupid. They allow me to blow bubble rings without water going up my nose! I also bought a 'classic round style mask' which has an interesting look. I personally don't like it because it is very heavy but my friend who mermaids with me loves using them - She always asks to use them rather than my other dive masks.
    Here is the round one:
    https://www.amazon.com/IST-Tortuga-Traditional-single-lens/dp/B0038NHPRM

I usually just wear goggles because I like being able to clearly see all the fish - or people if swimming somewhere crowded. But if I were to do any underwater photos or video I would make an effort not to wear my goggles.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

That is super helpful, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeka View Post
    So this is sort of on topic....I am blind as a bat, and I wear contacts. Obviously I can't open my eyes underwater work my contacts in, so it's either googles or no contacts.

I'm concerned about seeing in the water without my contacts. Are any other mers out there contact wearers?

I'm a contact wearer as well and I just wear my glasses to the pool and go without while I swim. My vision is pretty bad, I can pretty much just see colors and vague shapes. But with water it's all blurry anyways so it doesn't bother me. I wear goggles if I'm in chlorine and just swimming for fun but in salt and fresh water I go without. Your eyes adjust both to fresh and salt water after a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-S975L using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I always open my eyes and in 9 years I've only had one eye infection and we suspect it had more to do with the makeup!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I always open my eyes and in 9 years I've only had one eye infection and we suspect it had more to do with the makeup!
    Yea I don't really worry about it all that much, I just make sure I rinse my eyes in between the water and reapplying my contacts.

Sent from my SM-S975L using MerNetwork mobile app

I got the GenTeal eye gel recommended by Raina, bloody expensive stuff for the amount but really good. I'm just in that learning curve right now of not accidentally missing my eye when I drop some in XD and being limited only to pools, chlorine is so "fun" to get used to :/