Thread: I Just finished Watching Scales: Mermaids are Real....

I Just finished Watching Scales: Mermaids are Real....

So I just finished Scales.... Let me start by saying I truly enjoyed almost every part of this movie.... Almost. However, there were multiple MAJOR issues with this plot? I'll get to that in a second. But also, all the children actors spoke WAY too fast, which surprises me. I know it's a B movie, but it shocks me that noone on set told these kids to slow down their lines. I also found the main character's reactions to be "watered down" and unconvincing.

But let's talk about this plot.

First: individual moments that made no sense once so ever.

(Minor spoilers here, vague stuff)

The bathroom scene.... How did Tiffany know to come suddenly running up the stairs screaming bloody murder because Siren was in trouble? Mere moments before she was going about her merry way. She was given no reason during this scene to worry, let alone come bursting through the door in slow motion screaming....

Speaking of Tiffany...did they ever talk about what she was? Was she a human? or something else? they mention that she never gets gills, but did they say why, or why she was even a part of this society??

Then there's the principal....She says to Siren "Why do you think I'm always so hard on you?" ....Am I the only one who isn't ok with a character that (to my recollection) had no previous screen time informing the viewer in such a blunt way that she and the main character supposedly have this "history"? There were multiple school scenes before this moment that they could have made this relationship obvious, but instead to just throw that line in there? that really bugged me.

(Spoilers progress from this point on)

Ok so... Sirens personality was off the entire movie too. Why did she react the way she did to the boys father? She gave no indication that she knew he was a hunter upon meeting him, (which says alot sense it was fairly obvious he was a hunter), but then when the boy approaches her later confirming her suspicions (DID I MENTION THAT SHE DIDN"T ACT SUSPICIOUS TO BEGIN WITH??) she was just so non-nonchalant about it. As though she wasn't talking about her friends father wanting to KILL HER AND HER ENTIRE RACE FOR HER BLOOD!

Which leaves me to my next issue. The main Plot flaws. You're telling me there are only two types of people. the mermaids and half breeds, and ever plot convenient brutal hunters?? Noone else in the world knows or cares that mermaids exist?? No government? The rest of the town doesn't otice how many of it's woman disappear for THREE YEARS AT A TIME IN PATTERNS?!

Then these hunters....just..... everything about them bothers me but let me attempt to put it in words. So this is their lifes work....who funds this?? How many mermaids have they actually caught and killed? Because the one guy says he needs a changing mermaid to complete his research, so this kind of makes me think they've never actually killed a mermaid, but their ruthless bruiting rugged serial killer facades indicate that they just murder fish people all day every day.... And this is the main part that seriously bugs me...Why are they ok with this, and what are there boundaries?? We are given absolutely no character development for these men once so ever. They seem to know the identity of every mermaid in town, but do nothing of it, so I thought " They probably don't kill them in human form, because what good would that even do them?" But then they're so quick to threaten to kill the principal if Siren doesn't give her blood (WHICH SHES ALREADY VOLUNTEERED TO DO BTW BUT OOPS I FORGOT THAT PARTS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE REASONS?!), AND Tiffany, who isn't even a mermaid, she's human (?????). So...these men...have no morals then? They hunt mermaids just cuz (Since only the changing half breeds are useful, but not really since only the ones who can control water actually have healing blood, and they've never successfully caught either, but they're seasoned mermaid killers all the same for no good reason other then "Kill 'Em dead!!!" ), and not only that, but seem to be totally fine with brutally murdering women as well....and noone seems to care. However they're also fine with THEIR FRIEND AND MAIN SCIENTIST MELTING IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BY THE HANDS OF A 12 YEAR OLD GIRL?!?!?!?!?? .... but they also make no real defining moves to capture, kill, or you know....do much other then stalk through out this movie because, again, reasons.

Merman? Nope. not a thing. But pure breed mermaids are a thing...so are half breeds. Men don't exist unless they're trained killers, or being raised AT THE AGE OF 12......WITH A BONE DEGENERATION TO KILL MERMAIDS, AND TREAT WOMAN LIKE OBJECTS UNTIL THEY BECOME MERMAIDS SO THEY CAN KILL THEM GOOD PARENTING!

Tiffany goes to "Safe house", knowing that a very dangerous hunter was running after her on the streets moments earlier instead of staying away to keep siren safe. *Cinema sins ding*

Guy goes after Tiffany, even after making the trade so Tiffany could convince Siren to give up her blood willingly, thus making the entire plan impossible, and that entire scene pointless. *ding*

Tiffany presses button that brings all the mermaids in the city, instantly to the "safe house" just so they can bang their pretty useless sticks once, stare, at the men intimidatingly, then proceed to let them pass so that they can chase down and attempt to kill a 12 year old girl.....*ding*

....I have many issues with the swimming pool scene.... all the interactions during this scene seemed off to me. This entire scene displayed really bad acting, and really poor, short, choppy swim shots the didn't match where they were in the pool at all, giving this entire scene a really off putting effect.

cold blooded killers suddenly develop a heart down at the shore, for no real reason other then plot convenience. Oh, and because the son he encouraged to hunt and capture grown woman, and reprimanded for attempting to make the same points he makes again in this scene, said so.... *ding*

Oh the son? He's on a crutch, but can still make it from the hostage camp/ home base of operations, to Tiffany's front door faster then Tiffany could with a trained killer chasing her... (who again had literally no reason to be chasing her once so ever. Stealth would have been slightly more useful)

This guy's personality btw is ridiculous. I'll just leave it at that. He's uncomfortable.

And so here we are.... We've come to my number one main issue with this movie.... the moment when Siren realizes that the human body is 65% water, and that that means she can MAKE A GROWN MAN'S INSIDES LIQUIFY, POOR FROM HIS EYES, AND THEN REDUCE HIM TO A PUDDLE to which onlookers, (her best friend, her two mothers, about a dozen other grown men who were friends with the puddle, and practically every other woman in the town) Respond with .... "cool" and then she walks off into the sunset to spend 3 years in the ocean sleeping on kelp beds... And they all lived happily ever after. Awwww. How sweet <3

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVE SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

What'd everyone else think of this movie? :3

Ok, I haven't seen this movie, but from the sound of it, this movie's producers should have gotten a better writer, acting coaches and a better director. I actualky have studied how to produce tv shows and had the pleasure of making shows with my classmates. Were they all hood? No, most of them were but some were just downright awful.

That said, when a producer doesn't do their job right, the product tends to be awful. Sometimes it will be bleh, but...yeah. I see why you would be upset. Would love to see a great mermaid movie come out.

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app

I'd love for you to watch it then telll me what you think XD it was so poorly done, but still very entertaining and the ending was hilarious.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    I can't say I'm all that surprised. just from the trailer, i could tell there were huge plot holes in the story. as much as I'm happy to see another mermaid movie I really wish we could get something worth watching.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Hope they make a second movie. Need to finish the plot. Not much tail time either.

I think it would be nice if they remade the little mermaid the way they did snow white and beauty and the beast because i agree we do need a good mermaid movie and i have scales and agree a lot in it frustrated me

Sent from my LGLS676 using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid anastasia View Post
    I think it would be nice if they remade the little mermaid the way they did snow white and beauty and the beast because i agree we do need a good mermaid movie and i have scales and agree a lot in it frustrated me

So far it isn't on a soon to happen list with Disney. I think they are doing Aladdin right now and something about Lion King. I'm. It sure, but I Universal (I think) is making a live action "little mermaid" with Chloe Grace Mortez.

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    So far it isn't on a soon to happen list with Disney. I think they are doing Aladdin right now and something about Lion King. I'm. It sure, but I Universal (I think) is making a live action "little mermaid" with Chloe Grace Mortez.

Thats still something to look forward to i wander how they desided what order to remake the princess movies and if they will do all of them hoping for at least all the classics

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid anastasia View Post
    Thats still something to look forward to i wander how they desided what order to remake the princess movies and if they will do all of them hoping for at least all the classics

I just found a list.

http://collider.com/upcoming-live-ac...release-dates/

The Little Mermaid is on the list, but it's close to the bottom with no cast nor release date.