Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Merfolk Writer's Guild

Member Pod of New England
    Yeah. Prologues are not always necessary. But I think I need to give a little background a little before the story takes place..the reason how Dillon ended up in the human world..and his original thoughts on it before he wound up there, in contrast to virtually all, but especially the high social class of merfolk.

His teacher, who I am planning to bring back later in the story, is stringent and proud. I think that she is especially comparable to really anyone with strong national pride or pride of their lineage, except a little more rough about it. She doesn't explicitly hate humans, but her pride causes her to view merfolk as above them. Anyone who is fascinated by other species, including humans and other magical creatures, seem to be simply wasting their time to her. I thought I would share a little about a character whom I'm in the process of developing. But she's definitely going to become important later in the story.

I think that another key element of my story could be mending that relationship. Show that you can have strong pride, but still be kind to others, and learn about foreign concepts. You need to be confident, yet not overly confident. Thought maybe this could be her little journey.

That sounds like an awesome idea. I'm currently struggling with a matter of the Arcane. Magic has a balance in the World of Wayward Tides. It serves a special purpose under special circumstances. I'm just struggling with making the magic work.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using MerNetwork mobile app

So, I've been struggling with this for a while. The way Magic works in the World of Wayward Tides seems to be a complicated thing, but I do want to share some of my thoughts.

The World of Wayward Tides has an origin story involving the duality of light and darkness, and after the creation of the world, elements split off into Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, and Sleep. So the magic structure is elemental in that sense. I was kind of thinking of a interconnected web from different centers of magic.

Name:  event10572.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  85.8 KB

Sleep magic is like a shattered mirror. Dreams are like traveling through time in the sense that memories can be relived. It's a magic of distortion in which doors, paths, and gates can be hidden by forces that aren't normally passable. It's a little different from a typical element. This magic has actually given me the most trouble out of any because its atypical nature and its pseudo time and space travel elements. So, the best image to describe the Realm of Dreams is a shattered mirror. Sleep magic is intricately intertwined with the realm it originates from similar to how Light magic is intricately intertwined with the sanctuary and the Dark magic is intricately intertwined with the Abyss.

Name:  41e2104061c6ef9c7be77acaabdf04c0.jpg
Size:  276.5 KB

To explain some of the pictures, the Druid Shrine by Deviant Phantagram (https://phantagram.deviantart.com/ar...uins-310451132) is something I shared because there's something interesting about the divine and spiritual that is a nice compliment to the elemental. In a way, someone can argue that religious elements can be magical.

Name:  e3aa519144e699d4f367659390044de7.jpg
Size:  278.1 KB

Sanctuary is an idea that originates from Medieval Europe. It's a place of refuge that people once believed you could not pursue someone in without incurring the wrath of god. It's an interesting idea of a place providing protection for something hence the stained glass windows. However, that's not the only spiritual place that historically has been used to protect people and things. Temples also can serve a purpose like a Sanctuary. In the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time the Temple of Time literally acts as a barrier that prevents people from obtaining the Tri Force.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  chapel-of-thanksgiving-dallas-texas-cr-alamy.jpg
Size:  372.6 KB

I guess there's a lot to think about when it comes to the Arcane and Divine in fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    Yeah. Prologues are not always necessary. But I think I need to give a little background a little before the story takes place..the reason how Dillon ended up in the human world..and his original thoughts on it before he wound up there, in contrast to virtually all, but especially the high social class of merfolk.

His teacher, who I am planning to bring back later in the story, is stringent and proud. I think that she is especially comparable to really anyone with strong national pride or pride of their lineage, except a little more rough about it. She doesn't explicitly hate humans, but her pride causes her to view merfolk as above them. Anyone who is fascinated by other species, including humans and other magical creatures, seem to be simply wasting their time to her. I thought I would share a little about a character whom I'm in the process of developing. But she's definitely going to become important later in the story.

I think that another key element of my story could be mending that relationship. Show that you can have strong pride, but still be kind to others, and learn about foreign concepts. You need to be confident, yet not overly confident. Thought maybe this could be her little journey.
    This really could be interesting background. Have you thought about introducing the background in the story?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dylan Zalrian View Post
    The World of Wayward Tides has an origin story involving the duality of light and darkness, and after the creation of the world, elements split off into Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, and Sleep. So the magic structure is elemental in that sense. I was kind of thinking of a interconnected web from different centers of magic.
    One reason I dislike elemental magic... its so unoriginal. I am hard pressed to find anything special or different about it in books.

I have however seen a few incredible divisions in magic that made books that much more interesting.

I steer clear of magic quite often because I'm not smart enough to write it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    One reason I dislike elemental magic... its so unoriginal. I am hard pressed to find anything special or different about it in books.

I have however seen a few incredible divisions in magic that made books that much more interesting.

I steer clear of magic quite often because I'm not smart enough to write it well.
    Magic requires rules and elemental magic provides structure. Truth be told, I imagine a frame work of magic with the elements.

Like, Light and Darkness have duel relationship that can exist as the core of magic in the form of Creation and Destruction, Life and Death, Healing and Plague. Surrounding this Light and Darkness will be Earth, Fire, Water, and Wind. Magic then fall within the structure of these 6 elements with Sleep being a force that distorts things. Within this structure, magic takes on a range of forms like how a storm is wind and water. When I think of magic, the only magic that has a specific element are duel elements that form the world's origin. Other magic might have properties of an element, but they won't be elemental magic. Sleep magic is magic that stands on its own which is why its nature is close to the nature of the realm it comes from.

Long story short. The elements create a framework of consistency to think within.

Last edited by Merman Dylan Zalrian; 10-18-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dylan Zalrian View Post
    Magic requires rules and elemental magic provides structure. Truth be told, I imagine a frame work of magic with the elements.

Like, Light and Darkness have duel relationship that can exist as the core of magic in the form of Creation and Destruction, Life and Death, Healing and Plague. Surrounding this Light and Darkness will be Earth, Fire, Water, and Wind. Magic then fall within the structure of these 6 elements with Sleep being a force that distorts things. Within this structure, magic takes on a range of forms like how a storm is wind and water. When I think of magic, the only magic that has a specific element are duel elements that form the world's origin. Other magic might have properties of an element, but they won't be elemental magic. Sleep magic is magic that stands on its own which is why its nature is close to the nature of the realm it comes from.
    Long story short. The elements create a framework of consistency to think within.
    Magic can have structure and rules without elements. I'm most of all distasteful of light/dark elements.
    Darkness is only an absence of light. It isn't ''evil'' (saying this because most people associate darkness with evil, because of instinctual fear of being unaware of our surroundings) or even an element. In a way, it's nonexistent. Just like empty space. Wave your hand in the hair. Nothing is there. Empty space is the result of nothing else being there. So is the dark. And no, light isn't nothing. It actually has weight even.

I am more lenient towards the traditional water, fire, wind and earth elements, although Fire/Wind can be picked at. Considering that fire and heat are the result of rapid chemical processes. Wind is just the flow of gasses causes by movement. Doesn't sound so great when I describe it like that, aye?
    Considering that earth and water are things that exist by themselves/as themselves, it makes the manipulation of such more believable and interesting.

I like ''elements'' such as.... gravity, positive/negative energy, and antimatter for example.

But for ANY magic elements to make sense, you must first define magic and how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Magic can have structure and rules without elements. I'm most of all distasteful of light/dark elements.
    Darkness is only an absence of light. It isn't ''evil'' (saying this because most people associate darkness with evil, because of instinctual fear of being unaware of our surroundings) or even an element. In a way, it's nonexistent. Just like empty space. Wave your hand in the hair. Nothing is there. Empty space is the result of nothing else being there. So is the dark. And no, light isn't nothing. It actually has weight even.

I am more lenient towards the traditional water, fire, wind and earth elements, although Fire/Wind can be picked at. Considering that fire and heat are the result of rapid chemical processes. Wind is just the flow of gasses causes by movement. Doesn't sound so great when I describe it like that, aye?
    Considering that earth and water are things that exist by themselves/as themselves, it makes the manipulation of such more believable and interesting.

I like ''elements'' such as.... gravity, positive/negative energy, and antimatter for example.

But for ANY magic elements to make sense, you must first define magic and how it works.
    Honestly, the greatest appeal to light and darkness is the duality of the two. Darkness is often associated with evil, but you should give my story a read. Darkness is not evil. However, darkness can be used to commit acts of evil. Plus, the nice thing about imagining my own world is that the natural order is what I choose it to be. In a way, you can pick the elements apart, but it's important to note that this world does not follow the same ideas and rules of our world.

Also, Duality does have religious roots. It is a valid argument to say that the devil is not inheritly evil, but necessary to complete the whole. You can't have shadows without light and all lights are eventually extinguished. So as a fundamental aspect of existence, the wholeness that comes from light and darkness is valuable. It's representative of structure and order. The other elements extend this structure. Sleep and the four elements fill in the grey area.

This channel is pretty good.

Another good video.

One more video.