Thread: Coming out

Coming out

I was nervous about telling people I want to be a mermaid and planning on making my tail.

So far only my family that are in my house knows, one aunt, boyfriend, and two close friends.

I'm glad that they support me, and I'm wondering if anyone in the community had a positive or negative reaction?

Sent from my SM-J320V using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Oona View Post
    I was nervous about telling people I want to be a mermaid and planning on making my tail.

So far only my family that are in my house knows, one aunt, boyfriend, and two close friends.

I'm glad that they support me, and I'm wondering if anyone in the community had a positive or negative reaction?

Treat it as part of yourself! It's a hobby, and it's something you enjoy, so there's no need to feel embarrassed or anything for being true to yourself. If you make it to where you have to gather people in a circle and wheeze out that you're a mermaid and wait for their reaction, it just makes them question you and makes you feel bad about something that doesn't need to be negatively looked upon.

When I told my single parent about wanting to be a mermaid for a living, they asked what that meant and, after I explained it, they loved the idea that I could do something I enjoyed as a job. Coming from a strict parent, that was amazing to me!
    Telling other people was more of a challenge, but most of them either supported me, stayed silent, or looked at me funny. [Only my in-laws judged me over it, really]
    However, don't let other people control what you enjoy. If someone doesn't like the fact that you're considering being a real life mermaid, then don't worry about it! : ) It's a legitimate job and a lot of pro mermaids really do make a good amount of side income from it! It's a great form of working out, it's fun, eases anxiety and depression for some, and overall is a pretty healthy thing for anyone to participate in.

In any case, be yourself, be proud of who you are, and take it all in stride <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post

Treat it as part of yourself! It's a hobby, and it's something you enjoy, so there's no need to feel embarrassed or anything for being true to yourself. If you make it to where you have to gather people in a circle and wheeze out that you're a mermaid and wait for their reaction, it just makes them question you and makes you feel bad about something that doesn't need to be negatively looked upon.

When I told my single parent about wanting to be a mermaid for a living, they asked what that meant and, after I explained it, they loved the idea that I could do something I enjoyed as a job. Coming from a strict parent, that was amazing to me!
    Telling other people was more of a challenge, but most of them either supported me, stayed silent, or looked at me funny. [Only my in-laws judged me over it, really]
    However, don't let other people control what you enjoy. If someone doesn't like the fact that you're considering being a real life mermaid, then don't worry about it! : ) It's a legitimate job and a lot of pro mermaids really do make a good amount of side income from it! It's a great form of working out, it's fun, eases anxiety and depression for some, and overall is a pretty healthy thing for anyone to participate in.

In any case, be yourself, be proud of who you are, and take it all in stride <3
    Turns out my family is not surprised I always been the way I am since I was a little girl

Mostly, my family wasn't surprised. I'm a tribal fusion belly dancer, so My family kinda accepted the mermaiding since they are used to seeing me do alot of eccentric stuff. Honestly, they gave me a harder time over owning a dancing snake. Unfortunately I had to rehome my snake this week because my son, who's autistic, started banging on his cage alot recently and stressed the poor guy out.😣 He went to a rescue who will give my sweet boa to a very loving and less chaotic home.

I know not every family is as accepting as mine but I wish you luck!

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app