Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: What kind of tails would you like to see? (weird and wonderful)

  1. #1
    Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    168

    Lightbulb What kind of tails would you like to see? (weird and wonderful)

    So we know we like to base tails on real fish and sea creatures ( Lobster, man o war, dories, clownfish etc etc) and some fantasy ones too (sea dragons) but what animals/ creatures/ fish sp. would you guys like to see made into tails? Or are there some really super cool tails you've found that are unusual?

    Myself I would love to see a Tomopteris tail. (it's one of my Favourite sea creatures)
    Attachment 41824

    A ray would be neat too but the logistics of having such large fins/wings at the hips of a tail may mean it's not swimmable, unless they were semi rigid like a monofin.

    There are so many fish with gorgeous patterns and colours too. but I'd quite like the idea of an EEL tail too.


    What kind of tails would you guys like to see (even if you wouldn't own them yourself?)

  2. #2
    This is awesome. Can't wait to see what people say. I know it's been done, but I really like parrot fish. And octopi. And koi and shubunkins. And it's not a fish, but I am thinking about doing one based on the banded sea krait.

    Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lotusauriel; 08-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    292
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    Ooh fun idea, I'd like to do or see a few tails. My number one off the top of my head would be the Final Fantasy iteration of Leviathan I like the contrast of a steel and silvery blue with a red and yellow underbelly, the long whiskers. It'd be an interesting adaptation.
    Attachment 41825

    After that the Naga from WoW have always been fascinating in their design spiny and armored they are not short vibrant warning colours and frills.
    Attachment 41826Attachment 41827

    I'm just rolling with fantasy inspired ones for the moment. The last one on my list would be a Kohaku one like the leviathan the silvery/pearly white scales with a gray and teal back scale would be pretty neat to see.
    Attachment 41828

  4. #4
    I'd like to see a Basilosaurus tail!
    Or any dinosaur, for that matter!

    The scales of dinosaurs would make a really cool texture for a mermaid tail, for sure! And it can literally be any color because nobody knows what color they were
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)


    DeviantART || Tumblr || Instagram





  5. #5
    Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    I'd like to see a Basilosaurus tail!
    Or any dinosaur, for that matter!

    The scales of dinosaurs would make a really cool texture for a mermaid tail, for sure! And it can literally be any color because nobody knows what color they were
    HAHA YAASSS DINOS! I'm kinda pondering Coelecanth, the chunky fins would be fun

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Astridia View Post
    HAHA YAASSS DINOS! I'm kinda pondering Coelecanth, the chunky fins would be fun
    Yessss! A Coelecanth tail would be epic! : D
    They recently found one alive, so that makes the tail idea ever cooler !!!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)


    DeviantART || Tumblr || Instagram





  7. #7
    Senior Member Mermaid_Mari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    144

    Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel
    I'd love to see a weedy seadragon inspired tail



    Or a leafy sea dragon one



    Probably not very practical but could look really awesome!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    @MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

  8. #8
    Senior Member Euro Pod
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    142
    I'd love to see someone swimming as a melusine, I think it'd look amazing

  9. #9
    Senior Member Euro Pod Echidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,488
    Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^what exactly do you mean by "melusine"? A long, draconic looking tail?

    I've seen a few great WoW Naga cosplays, none of them swimmable though, ofc xD

    I made a dragon tail, a Mosasaur, a Basilosaur, and many krait tails.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoPDBi6dRFs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQJ2DrwGAA

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Mari View Post
    I'd love to see a weedy seadragon inspired tail



    Or a leafy sea dragon one



    Probably not very practical but could look really awesome!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe I have seen that tail out there. Twig the Fairy wore one once on her youtube. Super pretty.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using MerNetwork mobile app

  11. #11
    Senior Member Euro Pod
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    ^what exactly do you mean by "melusine"? A long, draconic looking tail?

    I've seen a few great WoW Naga cosplays, none of them swimmable though, ofc xD

    I made a dragon tail, a Mosasaur, a Basilosaur, and many krait tails.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoPDBi6dRFs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQJ2DrwGAA
    I mean like a 2 tailed mermaid, I thought it was called a melusine. We call it like that here atleast ^^"

  12. #12
    That's what I'm doing, at some point, anyway. Like the Starbucks symbol. But it's really old.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Euro Pod
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    That's what I'm doing, at some point, anyway. Like the Starbucks symbol. But it's really old.
    That is so cool!! I'll be looking forward to seeing that

  14. #14
    Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidrobynn View Post
    I'd love to see someone swimming as a melusine, I think it'd look amazing
    I think there's a thread about melusine tails somewhere on here I know I've seen it.

  15. #15
    How about avian-themed tails?

    I've seen plenty of fish-like tails out there, but what if someone used feathers in place of fins? Made of silicone, of course, but with the look of feathers
    There are some gorgeous birds out there!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)


    DeviantART || Tumblr || Instagram





  16. #16
    1st pic The sploge bits of this tail has slight feather indentations, will go over them with paint for detail. Based on butterfly and peacock.

    2nd pic is a tail I am doing based on an eel. Can't wait to start this one also

    Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Sea Maiden Studios on Facebook if your interested xx

    Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clarabash View Post
    Sea Maiden Studios on Facebook if your interested xx

    Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
    It looks gorgeous !!!
    And I love that second concept drawing!
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)


    DeviantART || Tumblr || Instagram





  19. #19
    Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by clarabash View Post
    1st pic The sploge bits of this tail has slight feather indentations, will go over them with paint for detail. Based on butterfly and peacock.

    2nd pic is a tail I am doing based on an eel. Can't wait to start this one also

    Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
    OOH! so cool! I love the eely one ^_^

  20. #20
    Senior Member Euro Pod
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Astridia View Post
    I think there's a thread about melusine tails somewhere on here I know I've seen it.
    I read it yeah but I haven't seen any pictures yet. If my tailmaking business ever kicks off I'd offer it myself xd

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •