Thread: My mythic tail already broke, I'm DEVASTATED!

My mythic tail already broke, I'm DEVASTATED!

I tried the tail on for like 15 minutes the first time and was really careful! It's taken me 9 months to get this tail and then something like this happens! And when I took it out to swim I set the mats out to protect the tail, I was super careful. While I was getting my feet in the monofin one at a time like the paper suggested, the zipper popped!!

I didn't even get a chance to swim in the tail and the zipper broke. The teeth came clean off the tail. And now I'm out of a tail for my event in two weeks! I'm crying as I'm typing this I have no idea what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/rO9hIUfEojQ
    You'll probably need to get a new zipper. My friend mermaid Zelda had this happen to her recently and FinFolk is sending her a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

I don't know if you'll get a replacement from finfolk. a friend had her tail come in completely the wrong size, and finfolk refused to replace it, I guess cuz they didn't have time? and refunded her instead. if they did replace it, it'll likely take them months to do so. your best bet is to fix it, or take it to someone who can fix it for you. I've heard nothing but bad things about the mythics lately. unfortunately they don't seem to be built to last, and require a ton of up keep, including constant resewing and repainting of scales.

See I'm not sure I'll get a replacement either. I originally ordered an original mythic tail but it was way too big, ( that tail arrived sometime in march) so we sent it back and they were kind enough replace the zipper and offer some upgrades. And THAT is the tail I have now. And that took another 5 months to get it back. So it's just been a huge ordeal for both Abby and Bryn, and myself. So I don't want to be anymore trouble but I'm also super disappointed in the tail breaking so soon. And as I was moving it home from the pool a few scales fell off. So just over all super deflated and sad that this beauty has come with a lot of heartbreak.

You might be able to squeeze the metal piece back onto the track with the missing teeth, and get it to run right again. If you do get it on there, just make sure you sew a strong stop, with many stitches of heavy thread, so the zipper piece stays above the hole and doesn't come off again. I really hate to see so many people having so many problems with these tails, but I can't say I didn't see it coming.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    mermaid gemini did a tutorial on how to replace the zippers I believe!

I meant replacement zipper and yes, I linked that tutorial above!

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    This is horrible, I'm so sorry this has happened. Luckily replacing a zipper is a solid possibility and it would likely be fairly simple for a seamstress to repair if you needed it done in really short notice. I myself considered hooks and eyes instead of a zipper (breaking zippers are far to common for me to want to take that risk). I hope you're back in working fashion soon!

Contact an experienced and well respected seamstress in your area and let her fix it and advise you. All will be fine!

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Is Finfolk using industrial heavy -duty zippers in these tails or just ordinary plastic zippers?

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Is Finfolk using industrial heavy -duty zippers in these tails or just ordinary plastic zippers?
    They started using industrial ones in the gen 2 mythics. I'm not sure if this tail is gen 1 or gen 2 though. I know quite a few people had issues with their zipper on the gen 1s.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Avya View Post
    They started using industrial ones in the gen 2 mythics. I'm not sure if this tail is gen 1 or gen 2 though. I know quite a few people had issues with their zipper on the gen 1s.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    To clarify:are Gen 1s the first batch they released of the regular mythics and Gen 2s are the iridescent mythics?
    I know they did 2 releases of the iridescent ones, one in April (?) and one this July. Don't know if anything changed between the 2 releases.

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Yes. Gen 1 is the old batch released back in November. Gen 2 is the new iridescent ones. I don't think they're changing anything in the new batches ordered in July but I could be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using MerNetwork mobile app

If you haven't found a fix yet, you could try re-positioning the zipper above the broken teeth using this tutorial: http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-...-Broken-Tooth/ , then use a needle and thread to sew across the zipper a few times, closing the gap so the zipper can't be opened just above the broken teeth. You'll lose a little bit of the opening, but it looks like the broken area is less than 2 inches from the end.

If you can find a cobbler, they should be able to fix your zipper.