Thread: Silicone Tail Repaint

Silicone Tail Repaint

I am thinking of getting the one color full silicone tail from MerNation! I would like to do the paint job myself, but haven't been able to find any information on how to do it. Has anyone painted their tail or repainted it?

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Try searching mernetwork via google, you'll get more specific results

To repaint a silicone tail, you first need to know what kind of silicone is used to made that tail. Then you need to get that same silicone and some pigment powders in the colors that you want to use. First test the pigments with that silicone (just mix a little bit of the powder with your silicone) and if it's cured the way you wanted, then you can used the same ratio mix to 'paint' your tail.

Watching
    AdventrueMermaids.com
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    To repaint a silicone tail, you first need to know what kind of silicone is used to made that tail. Then you need to get that same silicone and some pigment powders in the colors that you want to use. First test the pigments with that silicone (just mix a little bit of the powder with your silicone) and if it's cured the way you wanted, then you can used the same ratio mix to 'paint' your tail.
    Does it have to be the same kind of silicone, or would it not stick to the other kinds?

Sent from my 2PS64 using MerNetwork mobile app

You can get a sample kit of dragonskin silicone from smooth-on for $30, which should be a good amount for just a repaint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Quote Originally Posted by AllieAnnKattFish View Post
    Does it have to be the same kind of silicone, or would it not stick to the other kinds?

Yes, it has to be the same

Senior Member Euro Pod
    I thought you could also mix in some silicone glue or so? Not sure though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    Yes, it has to be the same
    I'm sorry if I seem super ignorant about it but I'm just now starting to work with silicone. I'm not sure if my tail is tin cure silicone or if it's Platinum Silicone, it was done by the mertailor back in 2014 so I know that it's at least smooth on. Can I use platinum cure on tin cure or no? I am so so sorry for the confusion. I really hope I can add some fins to my old tail and I know I need to be able to seal them into each other.

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieAnnKattFish View Post
    I'm sorry if I seem super ignorant about it but I'm just now starting to work with silicone. I'm not sure if my tail is tin cure silicone or if it's Platinum Silicone, it was done by the mertailor back in 2014 so I know that it's at least smooth on. Can I use platinum cure on tin cure or no? I am so so sorry for the confusion. I really hope I can add some fins to my old tail and I know I need to be able to seal them into each other.

Platinum cure won't cure on tin cure as far as I know, sorry :/ you could try make some fins with caulk and adding those, if that doesn't work you only lose a few dollars because caulk is pretty cheap