Thread: Disabled mermaids "vs" tail companies?

Question Disabled mermaids "vs" tail companies?

Wasn't entirely sure whether to ask this or not but it's been bugging me a fair bit. Apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I'm currently training up to do mermaid stuff in my area and do so with two other lovely women, a friend of mine and her daughter. We go to the pool together and look out for each other, and have an agreement with the pool about everything safety wise.

Both my friend and her daughter swim far more regularly than me, in fact I only got back in a pool a couple months ago for the first time in years thanks to a busy life, but it seems a mermaid never forgets how to swim. We've all got Mahina monofins and the others have some extra lighter fins they've previously used, and have all proven to swim well in them.

The thing that some people apparently have a problem with however, is that my friend only has one leg. She's an amputee and usually wears a prosthetic of some sort but in the water she just puts on the monofin normally and has recently come up with a way of balancing it out with a sort of light counterweight made from a foot form (not even sure that's the right word). For someone with this to consider, my goodness she's a good swimmer. She swims almost daily as far as I know and is very serious and careful about it. She and her daughter recently got their first proper fabric tails made by Uramermaid and they were fantastic in them.

When at the pool the other day we were talking about silicone tails and the fact that one day when we're proficient enough, we may get some, or in her case invest in one and then work towards using it. The first problem we've discovered is that most of the sellers and makers we know won't ship to the UK. She even found a tail someone was selling that had been made far too tight for a two-legged person but would be great for her, but she can't seem to get it.

Then when talking to a tail company that I won't name, she received an email that got her quite annoyed. I may later edit this post if I can get the full details from her, but from what I heard her inquiries about a tail may have been met with some rudeness, and in particular they said that they, to paraphrase, "don't make tails for disabled swimmers".

Now let me say right now that all of us understand perfectly well how serious safety is, and we would be fine with companies having strict policies about swimmers who might have extra risks for whatever reason. Heck I think she might have even been much less annoyed if there didn't seem to be such a blunt approach taken, and I would be more understanding too if it turns out they were polite and have good reasons, but the fact is when she spoke to me it was obvious my friend had been made to feel judged, disregarded and unable to be taken seriously, because the person on the other end of the email had seemingly seen "amputee" and immediately thought "weak swimmer" or "liability".

I was irritated by all of this because they'd upset her and limited her options greatly. Admittedly at one point I legit started wondering where the line would be drawn at what was considered "disabled" in regards to swimming and whether mental disability was considered or just physical. Or whether the same thing would be said to a paralympic athlete. Naturally that was just me getting annoyed tbh, there's no need for it to get that dramatic. But I DO kind of feel like it would have been better if it were her own choice whether she gets to use a silicone tail or not, because I know she'd take responsibility for it too.

I dunno, what do you guys think? Were they being sensible? Unfair? Should it be my friend's choice? Are there other options she could consider? Perhaps is there someone who makes silicone tails who WOULD make one for an amputee and preferably ships to the UK?

Honestly, they were probably covering their own ass. I say if she can't buy one, make one! Still take precautions, but let it be her choice. Good luck to your friend. My son is autistic, so I get where you are coming from. People tend to judge, without knowing the situation. Good luck and hope she gets her dream tail!

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app

While this particular company might not have been willing to work with your friend for a variety of reasons, that shouldn't be a reason for your friend to work out a design and either take the time and expense to make a tail themselves or with help from others either here or elsewhere. Video tape the progress as well as the final product for the world to see

Merman Caspian

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    A few things:

-tail makers have been having issues getting tails to clear through customs for the UK. I believe this is one of the reasons why some wont send them that way. I know a few are trying to figure out what needs to be done so the tails arent rejected at customs, but for now, it's been a real issue.

-I am sorry someone was rude, but there is an element of legal liability when it comes to an item like this and I think the company may be worried about being liable should something happen. its a very gray area. There was a documentary done on a double amputee who had a tail made by weta workshop about 10 years ago and they touched briefly on this issue. I am not saying it's Ok or fair, just that I think it stems from that worry. As for the tone, I can't defend but all I can say is tail makers get bombarded with so many emails I think they just get right to the point because that's all they have time for and it may come across rude when it's simply factual. I even get caught in this with booking requests when I reply.

-Finfolk recently awarded a 1 legged swimmer a free silicone tail in a contest. they may be a good group to chat with.

Thanks for the responses everyone

Honestly yeah we figured it was a case of them needing to avoid legal issues if anything went wrong, I think we were just both a bit annoyed since she really is a very competent swimmer. Of course we all know of the safety concerns that the public have about tails in general, and the last thing we'd want is to make that any worse. I think she's going to keep a look out for anyone selling them in the UK or willing to make one, and I've been really tempted to gradually learn how to make them too (though haha that's a bit of a way off, I make jewellery and stop-motion puppets not tails ).

AniaR, I had no idea Finfolk did that that's awesome! I personally love Finfolk's tails. Apparently they don't currently ship to the UK either but there's hopes they will one day.

Also I had no idea about the current issues tailmakers were facing with customs, that's really unfortunate. Like, why? It's basically a big piece of swimming equipment or costume. Customs is weird.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yeah it's been a real issue, the only way to really get around it is hiring a broker to get it through which makes the fees go up

I've always wondered about amputees using a tail! For tail suggestions, I know that The2Tails has a charity for making mermaid dreams come true for sick and disabled children, so they might be able to help you out. As for shipping to the UK, I don't know if they can do that.
    However, could you possibly get a PO box elsewhere, like France to avoid some import issues. I do that with shipping stuff to the US instead of being dinged with Canadian import fees and such. Of course I have no idea how stuff works within Europe.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

I'm sorry that happened to your friend, the company really didn't need to be rude about it. The liability thing is understandable but annoying. Are there no companies in the UK that make silicone tails? I know that Nim is in Switzerland she makes tails but I don't know her policy's or if the customs in the UK will accept it.
    I hope you and your friends all find a tail maker that is more sensitive and is willing to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    I've always wondered about amputees using a tail! For tail suggestions, I know that The2Tails has a charity for making mermaid dreams come true for sick and disabled children, so they might be able to help you out. As for shipping to the UK, I don't know if they can do that.
    However, could you possibly get a PO box elsewhere, like France to avoid some import issues. I do that with shipping stuff to the US instead of being dinged with Canadian import fees and such. Of course I have no idea how stuff works within Europe.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Slightly off topic but this came to mind.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com