Thread: Need advice for vacation in FL

Need advice for vacation in FL

Hello fellow mers,

I'm starting to plan my vacation next year, and I'd like to visit Florida.
    Now I seek advice in terms of: In which time of the year should I go there? I don't want to meet the hurricane season or something like this.
    Any special advice for foreigners? I'm from Germany but I think my English will suffice for a trip.

Now, just for your information, why am I planning to visit Florida?
    Weeki Wachee, of course
    I'd like to see some wildlife, go snorkeling, chilling on the beach, things like that.
    A colleague of mine recommended the Fort Myers area.
    What do you think?
    I hope to start a nice conversation here.

Greetings,
    Toxotes / Thomas

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Hi Toxotes! I live in Naples, about 40 minutes south of Ft. Myers. Naples was just recognized as the number 1 beach community in the United States! If you are looking for more night life, Miami/Ft.Lauderdale is directly across the state from us, about 2 hours away. Of course, Orlando is fun if you are big into Disney. Weeki Wachee and the other natural springs, have the clearest water so great for mermaid photography, snorkeling etc.
    Our season in S. Florida typically is late November to Easter when the weather is most temperate, mid 70-s to low 80's. Summer is very hot and humid and our rainy/hurricane season. If you can't stand the heat.... ;-)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm heading there in a few months as well. I always try to go to the Florida Aquarium, and last time I was there I did their shark swim! (no certifications required) it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever done! I can't recommend it enough, and if you can afford it they'll also give you gopro footage of it which I was happy I ended up buying!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    I'm personally from the Gulf side and only know Crystal River, Inverness, and Beverly Hills (where I have a home). I only suggest that region because of the great snorkeling due to the springs and the proximity to Orlando and Tampa (about an hour and a half from both, and less so to Weeki Wachee). You're flying in so your best bet would probably be staying near Tampa or Homosassa provided you have a rental car.

This link has a few different ideas for different places in Florida. I don't believe I have ever been to Florida so I can't say what is good from personal experience.
    http://vacationidea.com/florida.html

Thanks for the feedback.

@Keiris: That's good to know, I'm somehow used to go on vacation in Juli/August, but I don't need a too hot weather. I think I will plan my vacation for late october then, around by birthday.

@AniaR: A shark swim! that sounds cool. I did a "snorkeling with Manta Rays" on Hawai'i last year. That was fantastic. I took some Gopro footage of it, too. But I haven't uploaded it yet.

@Arking: The clear springs must be wonderful for a snorkeling tour. The Tampa area sounds nice.

@Khaleesi Daenerys: Thanks for the link. The Kennedy space center is a must for me.

Hey there Toxotes!

I lived in Orlando since i was five but now live in St Louis MO (been here a year now). However if your looking for some AMAZING salt water snorkeling without the long trip to the Keys I'd hit up Pompano Beach, FL (Atlantic side). However it is a little more expensive to stay there. there a lot of small wrecks about a 1/4 mile off shore and a good amount of different sea life. if you didn't want to go quite that far there's also Sebastian Inlet State Park, FL(also Atlantic side)! on a good day the water is SUPER clear and a lot of fun to swim in. however it does tend to get kinda deep rather quick so watch out. if you like camping, there's camp sites at that park. If you go about October-ish or April you'll be dodging a good bit of the mosquito hoards but the water will be a good bit cooler in April. And Of course all the springs are pretty amazing to swim in. the nice thing about them is that really no mater when you decide to do your trip the Spring waters are always around 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit. just in the cooler air weather make sure to wear at least a 5mm wetsuit/ shortie to keep yourself warmer. Crystal River is also a really good place to hangout and enjoy the springs. like Arking said it's a good in-between for a ton of things to do. St Petersburg Beaches have usually a lot of sand dollars there and Clearwater Beach has amazing white sand beaches and the water is usually pretty clear and it'll be close to the Florida Aquarium.Both of these are Gulf Coast side. If your interested into surfing i'd Definatly so to New Smyrna Beach, FL (Atlantic side). some of the Best surfing in FL and it has Crystal sand beaches the squeak under your feet. I hope this helps you out!!

Sea Hare's Hope and Starfish Wishes

SirenCedes
    ----> Swimming through life one pool at a time <----