Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sequin fabric advice

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Astridia View Post
    Thanks! I got to swim in it monday so when i get the photos back might post one or two up so peeps can see it in action. The fins and fluke were so FLOWY ^___^.
    :o was it fun?

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    :o was it fun?
    SUPER fun!!

EDIT!! Decided I would make this thread my Tailmaking journey rather than make a whole new post for it (saves space and keeps the advice I received in one place XD)

It may be slow as work and life keeps me busy but will keep you updated ( ya'll seem to enjoy building threads.... me too I LOVE them) !!

*Original*
    Hi All! I am pondering making a sequin/fabric tail. The sequin fabric I have is lovely but has very little stretch to it. I have a number of Ideas to get around this issue but I would also like some advice from mers who have used sequin fabric before.
    Ideas:
    Have only partial sequin fabric i.e. dorsal only or just down the sides, the rest being in lycra/spandex. other stretchy fabric and use spare sequins to sew on individually as a gradient between the two fabric types.
    Have a Lining in stretchy fabric but have the sequin fabric as a not so tight but snug fitting OUTER layer: would allow for complete sequin coverage.
    It's so pretty but so fickle XD
    Any help or ideas would be fantastic!
    Hi Astridia,

I would be careful with sequin fabric for a tail. Are you using the reversible kind that change colors? Or to just add some "sparkle" to your tail? I wrote an article on Mermaid sequin fabric that might be helpful if you haven't already made your tail. You should avoid stretchy fabric with sequins if you can. I hope that helps!

Mermaid Sequin Fabric

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.30.25 AM.png
Views: 85
Size:  498.5 KB
    EverythingMermaid.com

[IMG]file:///Users/mollyknye/Downloads/ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by mollythemermaid View Post
    Hi Astridia,

I would be careful with sequin fabric for a tail. Are you using the reversible kind that change colors? Or to just add some "sparkle" to your tail? I wrote an article on Mermaid sequin fabric that might be helpful if you haven't already made your tail. You should avoid stretchy fabric with sequins if you can. I hope that helps!

Mermaid Sequin Fabric

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.30.25 AM.png
Views: 85
Size:  498.5 KB

Oooh that would'a been SO useful XD tail has been made for a couple months now (and has been swum in it seems to work just fine) But yeah..... never again XD

Oooh that would'a been SO useful XD tail has been made for a couple months now (and has been swum in it seems to work just fine) But yeah..... never again XD
    Good to know! I like the spandex polyester tails the best in the water. They also dry really fast.

Happy Swimming!
    EverythingMermaid.com

[IMG]file:///Users/mollyknye/Downloads/ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif[/IMG]

I made a whole tail out of the reversible sequin fabric. It's about three years old now, the only thing I had to continually update was the spandex part that covered the monofin. I wasn't gentle with it, and it held up well on concrete and in chlorine. You're looks pretty!! Good job with the flowy fins!

I'm tossing some pics of mine in so you can see the wear and stuff! A couple of me in it, when it was new and this past summer and of the butt and heel wear! For future reference if you make another tail!!

I'm working on a silicone tail now but I love the look of these sequin fabric tails and already have an idea for another one of those.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidBrandie View Post
    I made a whole tail out of the reversible sequin fabric. It's about three years old now, the only thing I had to continually update was the spandex part that covered the monofin. I wasn't gentle with it, and it held up well on concrete and in chlorine. You're looks pretty!! Good job with the flowy fins!

I'm tossing some pics of mine in so you can see the wear and stuff! A couple of me in it, when it was new and this past summer and of the butt and heel wear! For future reference if you make another tail!!

I'm working on a silicone tail now but I love the look of these sequin fabric tails and already have an idea for another one of those.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

wow gorgeous! love the colour! useful to see the wear and tear, looks like it's held up really well ^_^. Lovely pics ^_^