Thread: Apparently, I am overweight.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar

Apparently, I am overweight.

While researching about making tails, and measuring myself, I found out I'm overweight.
    My waist and hip area about 3 inches over healthy level, and I weigh about 40 pounds over the suggested BMI level. I thought I was okay, but now I feel disgusted... Like genuinely grossed out. I'm not ''fat-phobic'' I just want to be healthy, and I had NO CLUE I was overweight, and should've!

I started doing small work-out a couple days ago to maintain a healthy body, but now I need to beef it up.

I just feel really bad now... I also don't want to do any tail stuff until I've lost serious weight.

Anyone else have similar issues? :c

EDIT: I really don't look that over weight, and am kinda doubting it now...
    My legs are big, but very muscular from riding, that may be where the weight is from? I'm going to keep working out, but I shouldn't worry about it that much!

EDIT #2: Sounds like BMI is a trash way to figure out healthy size... BMI can shove a mackerel up it's butt.
    Last edited by Mermaid Kane; 08-29-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Senior Member Euro Pod
    If you really worry about it you could always get checked!

Junior Member North Pacific Pod Requireminx's Avatar

Follow Requireminx on Tumblr
    BMI is not a very valid way to see if you're actually healthy or not. It doesn't differentiate between muscle or fat (muscle weighs a LOT more) well and doesn't work for everyone. If you are really worried though, I agree with robynn to get checked but you don't need to worry if you don't feel wrong. Extra source (Huffpost)
    Roll for initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Requireminx View Post
    BMI is not a very valid way to see if you're actually healthy or not. It doesn't differentiate between muscle or fat (muscle weighs a LOT more) well and doesn't work for everyone. If you are really worried though, I agree with robynn to get checked but you don't need to worry if you don't feel wrong. Extra source (Huffpost)
    I think I just had a brief moment of horror. I could lose some pounds, and I'm heavy set, but also quite muscular from abs down. I think BMI should shove a mackerel up it's butt. :/

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    BMI is very useless. I'm 6'3" and my BMI is 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

I am overweight. I have a condition called PCOS, so it is extremely difficult to lose weight. It never hurts to work a little extra exercise into your routine, but I agree that BMI is not a good way to determine your health. If I gave you my BMI, you would think I was morbidly obese, but that's not the case at all. In fact, my doctors are unconcerned about my weight. So don't let it get to you.

Sent from my Pixel using MerNetwork mobile app

BMI isn't exactly a good indicator by itself. I'm pretty darn muscular now, at 151 lbs, 5'7 in height, and with a body fat percentage of about 17% or so. My BMI is listed as "near overweight" and unhealthy. It's a useless measurement, because it doesn't account for muscle density, fitness, or other factors. Hip and bust size aren't great indicators of health either. But keep working at it! Squats, crunches, push-ups, and pull-ups can do a lot to help, along with jogging and swimming. Even if you're not out of shape like you claim, exercise will do wonders to improve your health and figure.
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

I am in the same boat and I feel like I'm sinking!!!

I am over waight. I have a very tuff time losing waight to for many reasons. I am a stress eater, I get fast food to save time, I am always snacking, I hate to exercise. There is so much stress in my life I feel overwhelmed in almost every aspect. I can't get past my mental road blocks.

I know now my body feels comfortable at 114 the dry say I should be 125 and I am currently 150. I have a double chin, thick thighs, flabby arms, huge butt, a protruding tummy and have so much fat I have lost my female curves.

Even worse the the only person who's honest with me about how I look is my boyfriend and he pressures me to lose it or he will dump me witch feeds the cycle of stress and stress eating.

I am am an instant gratification person and aside from quitting eating and exercising constantly I don't see how I'm gonna get rid of the fat. It feels hopeless!!!!

and I have paid for my mermaid tail but am not going to do measurements till I lose waight and am happy and confident in my body. Witch feels like it's never gonna happen.

plus I have no one to help me do them anyway.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post

I am over waight. I have a very tuff time losing waight to for many reasons. I am a stress eater, I get fast food to save time, I am always snacking, I hate to exercise. There is so much stress in my life I feel overwhelmed in almost every aspect. I can't get past my mental road blocks.

I know now my body feels comfortable at 114 the dry say I should be 125 and I am currently 150. I have a double chin, thick thighs, flabby arms, huge butt, a protruding tummy and have so much fat I have lost my female curves.

Even worse the the only person who's honest with me about how I look is my boyfriend and he pressures me to lose it or he will dump me witch feeds the cycle of stress and stress eating.

I am am an instant gratification person and aside from quitting eating and exercising constantly I don't see how I'm gonna get rid of the fat. It feels hopeless!!!!

and I have paid for my mermaid tail but am not going to do measurements till I lose waight and am happy and confident in my body. Witch feels like it's never gonna happen.

plus I have no one to help me do them anyway.
    Are you me???? Because I feel the exact same way.

I'm 5'1" and weight 165 lbs with 0 muscle tone. I've slowly, steadily gained about 3 to 5 lbs every year since the end of my teens. It's funny, as a teenager I was very confident in my body, but now that I'm in my 20s I hate it. It only bothered me a little until I noticed I had developed the "back fat" creases, and now I don't even like being naked because I can feel where my skin folds and touches in ways it didn't use to. I hate exercise and eat out of boredom. My anxiety makes it difficult to sleep, which means I stay up so late I get hungry and eat so my empty stomach doesn't keep me awake, which mean I go to bed full and don't want breakfast in the morning. It's a vicious cycle. My depression makes it hard to motivate myself to exercise or stick to any kind of food restriction. Even the smallest, simplest changes like cutting out 1 snack a day and exercising once a week didn't last long.

...But last Sunday, after I had big breakdown over my weight, my boyfriend and I decided it was finally time for us to both start going to the gym 5 days a week and eating better. Today was the 1st day we went and I'm feeling hopeful. Not going to lie, it wasn't cheap for the membership and pre-work out powder for energy (surprisingly it worked), but I was willing to throw down the cash in exchange for being happier. My boyfriend/mertender is amazingly supportive. He's pushing me in ways I need, not making me feel shittier about myself. He loves me and finds me attractive just the way I am, but he knows I'm unhappy with my weight, so he's going to the gym with me and cooking meals, too.

So may advice? Dump that boyfriend of yours who is threatening to dump you if you don't lose weight. That isn't helpful or supportive, and you deserve better. It sucks being alone, but being bullied by someone who says they love you is worse. You can and will find someone else. I was single for 7 years and felt like I was only getting more unattractive and not only did I find a nice guy, he cooks and thinks my mermaiding is cool because he likes to dress up as a pirate.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaīs Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Marine View Post

...But last Sunday, after I had big breakdown over my weight, my boyfriend and I decided it was finally time for us to both start going to the gym 5 days a week and eating better. Today was the 1st day we went and I'm feeling hopeful. Not going to lie, it wasn't cheap for the membership and pre-work out powder for energy (surprisingly it worked), but I was willing to throw down the cash in exchange for being happier. My boyfriend/mertender is amazingly supportive. He's pushing me in ways I need, not making me feel shittier about myself. He loves me and finds me attractive just the way I am, but he knows I'm unhappy with my weight, so he's going to the gym with me and cooking meals, too.
    I'm happy atm as well! Since I've made this thread, I've lost a lot of midsection padding. Impressed what a little exercise and dieting can do!

I wish you good luck!

Honestly these days it's easy to be overweight when we have all the distractions in the world to keep us from taking care of our bodies.
    Perhaps add some core conditioning exercises, this gymnastics website has some good fitness advice that anyone is capable of doing.
    http://www.gymnasttrainingpro.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post

I'm sorry but that is not a boyfriend.

My advise for getting the body you desire:

1. Ditch the loser who doesn't appreciate you.
    2. Find an activity that you enjoy.... oh look mermaiding.
    3. Poor all that stress from daily life into energy for that activity.
    4. realize that junk food makes your activity harder ( there are lots of amazing vegan meet ups... great tips on fast healthy foods) . Fast food because of the sugars and salts can be very addicting. Try to find healthy alternatives like fruits, veggies hummus.

I am agree with previous posters. BMI is basically useless as it does not account for muscle mass, so even if you were just really muscular like a bodybuilder for example it would indicate that there are overweight when in fact they are not, and are quite healthy.

The last time I checked my B.M.I was in high school, and according to it back then, I was thirty pounds overweight then. I am 5'2" and am currently 223 lbs. I have been as heavy as 240... that was a real dark time for me. I'm currently striving to lose it, and am in the same boat when it comes to the decision of getting a silicon tail while I'm at this size. Part of my trepidation about becoming a professional mermaid is my weight. I want part of my mersona to have a body positive message, but it certainly needs to be balanced with keeping oneself healthy.
    Do you guys feel like that? That being overweight in any capacity hurts the mermaid image? I keep fighting with myself over the idea that if I go down this road to make my own business out of this, would what I look like affect how much business I drum up? I see so many beautiful people doing this, and it makes my insecurities skyrocket. I want to adhere to the idea that 'anyone can be a mermaid'. It's my mantra, but the fear of not 'measuring' up is still there....

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    I feel it hurts any image in any fandom. I'm on the edge of overweight and most of that weight is on my hips and upper legs, though everyone doesn't believe that I am to heavy. Though I'm not sure they say that to be polite or they really think that way. The image I have of myself is kinda negative, especially my belly after my pregnancy, but I have started taking steps to get back into shape and hopefully tone down the size of my upper legs and hips. I do not look at my weight to much, but rather at how much my body will be changing over time.
    Your imagination is your only limit

Plus size or nt mermaids are mermaids.... Right??

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Myah View Post
    Plus size or nt mermaids are mermaids.... Right??
    Of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Of course!!
    so shouldn't we get rid of such stigma

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app