Thread: Temporary tattoo/henna gills

Temporary tattoo/henna gills

I personally have always loved when merfolk are depicted as having gills on their necks or rib cages. There are some great gill prosthetics out there, but I wonder at the practicality of using them when doing a lot of swimming or around curious kids.

Has any merperson ever done/considered doing temporary tattoo or henna gills? Obviously, they wouldn't be 3D, so they wouldn't have the same realism, but they'd probably stay on better and look fine from a distance.

I haven't found any commercial gill tattoos, but there are many sites that allow you to design your own and they'll make them for you. And henna, while also being more permanent (both a good and bad thing), can of course be drawn on in any design you want.

-The Michigan Merrow-
    - lady of the lake -

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    I love gills too. I think they just add a dimension to the mersona.
    I have used 3d ones for a dry gig I did. It was soooooo cool.

I think henna would work brilliantly!! But the trick there is how to get it off for 'normal' life. Like work. Or just rock it at work I guess

And temporary tattoos are always a good idea!! I hadn't honestly thought of that. I am so getting some printed.
    You could get all kinds of crazy with the design too. Like add in some other scales, markings, fins etc.

The possibilities!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've heard lemon juice and olive oil can both help get rid of a henna tattoos!

-The Michigan Merrow-
    - lady of the lake -

Actually, its baby oil or mineral oil that gets off henna tattoos. Olive oil preserves them for longer, making them last up to 2 weeks.

I am a henna artist if anyone needs tips on mixing henna paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lazuli View Post
    I've heard lemon juice and olive oil can both help get rid of a henna tattoos!

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app

Ah, thank you for the correction!! It seems the internet lied to me :'/

-The Michigan Merrow-
    - lady of the lake -

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lazuli View Post
    Ah, thank you for the correction!! It seems the internet lied to me :'/
    Lol! It's ok! If you want a great book on henna for beginners, try looking up "Teach Yourself Henna Tattoo". It goes over different patterns, how to make henna paste, even different crafts you can do with henna! It's what I used for practicing when I first started out. For lemon juice, I recommend fresh squeezed lemon juice. The stuff you buy from the store has more water in it these days, so straight from the source is best. I squeeze the juice right into the powder through a strainer to catch pulp and seeds.

Henna is lots of fun and yes scales, gills as well as lots of mystic designs could be applied for shows

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app