Thread: Incorrect Info on Mermaid Rentals

Banned
    Follow MermaidAnnabella On Twitter
    Visit MermaidAnnabella's Youtube Channel

Incorrect Info on Mermaid Rentals

FYI:
    Mermaid Rentals on the tailmaker link says it goes up to $10,000. I spoke with Thom Shouse personally, he said his tails have never gone for that much, and that he caps his tail cost at $4,000. How can we change this on the thread?

Please & thank you...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Thom said that specifically/personally to Mermaid Iona which was why she put it up there. He has said it to many merfolk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Thom said that specifically/personally to Mermaid Iona which was why she put it up there. He has said it to many merfolk
    They are incorrect. I met Thom in person yesterday and he said they are not anywhere near $10,000.
    He has had a hard time getting in contact with you to change this, so your source of information is in fact incorrect - hence why I brought it up on his behalf.

I am not the person to change it, Mermaid Iona is the owner of Mernetwork, and she asked Thom specifically for his prices, that's why she put it on there. Having known Thom for years I know he likes to change his mind on these things, but claiming it was *never* like that is untruthful. You aren't the only one to meet Thom in person and discuss these things. Now, if he's changed his prices that's fine, but he shouldn't be telling unknowing people like you that he never said these things.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I am not the person to change it, Mermaid Iona is the owner of Mernetwork, and she asked Thom specifically for his prices, that's why she put it on there. Having known Thom for years I know he likes to change his mind on these things, but claiming it was *never* like that is untruthful. You aren't the only one to meet Thom in person and discuss these things. Now, if he's changed his prices that's fine, but he shouldn't be telling unknowing people like you that he never said these things.

You or Iona should reach out to contact him because he's been unable to get a hold of you himself. I trust the facts and the facts come from the direct source, not what someone heard from someone else. This isn't a game of telephone.

It does not hurt anyone to reach out and confirm with the tailmaker himself that the prices advertised on this site is incorrect. Claiming otherwise and/or belittling someone because they said something you disagree with is very poor behavior.

You are not understanding that that is what was done to begin with there is no belittling here, just facts. there's no disagreement, just facts. And you don't seem to understand how the forum works. If Thom has lowered his prices, he has multiple ways to get ahold of the owners of the forum and confirm that himself and that's totally fine. But suggesting that he never charged 10k is untruthful. Because he did, and he told us that (from the source), and that's why it was put on this website and it was also on HIS website for a time. I am sure Iona can find you a screen shot. it's not a matter of telephone. Iona contacted tail makers to get their information for that portion of the website.

There is a mernetwork facebook page Thom can feel free to send a message to since he has changed his prices.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Thanks for inquiring about this. For the record Thom can get in touch with us pretty easily. I'm one of the owners of the site, and I visit Thom from time to time since we both live in socal.

As for the 10k, I think I know the answer. The Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog is famous for always including one very expensive outrageous gift, largely as a stunt. In 2003, back when he was basically the only tailmaker (technically there were also a couple fabric tailmakers at the time) the catalog featured one of his tails for $10k. It included a custom fitting and training session. The listing should probably be corrected since that was a limited time offer from 14 years ago. I actually remember seeing that catalog at the time. Ha, God I feel old. http://newatlas.com/go/2261/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MerNetwork mobile app

By the way, Annabella, how long will you be in socal? If you're around tomorrow there's a meet up at Belmont pool. We'd love to have you join us.
    https://m.facebook.com/events/1416797755074722
    Last edited by malinghi; 09-01-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Iona actually did contact Thom about his prices and that's how she got the number, I am sure she can give you further information The price was also what was paid by a make a wish too according to the people involved, a few years ago.

I got the prices directly from Thom via email, but that was years ago. Since he doesn't have prices listed on his website, I would have no way of knowing unless he contacted me about it. Which we have the FB page, the Mernetwork email, the contact us page on this website, the forum, my mermaid FB profile, etc. If he's changed the prices, then I'll contact him to get the current price rage and change the listing to reflect that.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I think the current price is that there isn't one. Last I spoke to him, he's happily retired. He still works on some projects for his own enjoyment but in general he no longer publicly takes orders.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    Thanks for inquiring about this. For the record Thom can get in touch with us pretty easily. I'm one of the owners of the site, and I visit Thom from time to time since we both live in socal.

As for the 10k, I think I know the answer. The Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog is famous for always including one very expensive outrageous gift, largely as a stunt. In 2003, back when he was basically the only tailmaker (technically there were also a couple fabric tailmakers at the time) the catalog featured one of his tails for $10k. It included a custom fitting and training session. The listing should probably be corrected since that was a limited time offer from 14 years ago. I actually remember seeing that catalog at the time. Ha, God I feel old. http://newatlas.com/go/2261/

By the way, Annabella, how long will you be in socal? If you're around tomorrow there's a meet up at Belmont pool. We'd love to have you join us.
    https://m.facebook.com/events/1416797755074722

He told me about the Neiman Marcus thing. I'm in Fresno at the moment and headed to Sonora for a couple days. Thank you for the invite though, I really appreciate it! My friend's dad is in the ICU though so I don't have a lot of free time.

Clearly there has been some moscommunication on everyone's part regarding the prices. He had expressed great difficulty, as mentioned before, to get in contact about changing it. There is only harm in protesting doing the right thing, not simply inquiring about it. I personally feel that this is a consistent issue that needs to be explored. There has been a lot of shade and passive aggressiveness with mers who are abusing their administrative power, hence why I have not cowered away from this thread. However that is a seperate issue.

Tailmakers grow and change. Some people have issues with them or that. The professional thing to do is to explore the new information, not try to shut someone up over it.

Thank you Iona and Malinghi!
    (if there are any mistakes please excuse them as I'm typing on a phone)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    I think the current price is that there isn't one. Last I spoke to him, he's happily retired. He still works on some projects for his own enjoyment but in general he no longer publicly takes orders.

He is retired but has been taking orders, as he's training an apprentice who's been making the tails.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAnnabella View Post
    He had expressed great difficulty, as mentioned before, to get in contact about changing it.
    I'm sorry he felt it was difficult to get a hold of an admin about this. But I checked all my/MerNetwork's messages and emails and don't have any from him indicating we needed to change anything about his listing. As I said, I'll be emailing him to clarify things.

The professional thing to do is to explore the new information, not try to shut someone up over it.
    I don't see anyone in this thread trying to shut you up over it though? We were all just trying to clarify why the price was listed as it was. We never denied it may be incorrect, and I did indeed admit that the price quote I got was an old one. It seems from your earlier exchanges that you took the tone of the replies in a different way than what was intended. This is understandable- you can't hear tone over the internet! Raina even clarified that she didn't mean to belittle anyone when you expressed you felt that way.

There has been a lot of shade and passive aggressiveness with mers who are abusing their administrative power, hence why I have not cowered away from this thread.
    The only admins are me ad Malinghi, and the two mods are Spindrift and Mermaid Wesley. I'm curious as to what abuse of power and passive aggressive behavior from admins you're talking about.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Whoa, guys, calm down. No need to start pointing fingers and calling people ''abusive'' to their admin powers.

You really don't need drama over this. ^^''

Banned

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Whoa, guys, calm down. No need to start pointing fingers and calling people ''abusive'' to their admin powers.

You really don't need drama over this. ^^''

No intention of starting drama! I am a pacifist.

I was talking about Raina, whom I have been led to believe was an admin because of how involved she is on the site and how she involves herself, often inappropriately, on Facebook. I am speaking for myself as well as many others. However, you are right, tone can be misread as this is a textual conversation.

Thank you for your time. I sincerely appreciate it and your help.