Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Tail

Building an armature for the dorsal. Waiting on plaster bandages to reinforce it.

Sent from my P00I using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by freyamaat View Post
    Started playing with pattern placement for the fins. Need to do one for the dorsal, make the hip belt and hair piece, and reinforce my body form so I can start sculpting.

If any of these don't load please tell me.

I love your supervisor in the bottom of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I love your supervisor in the bottom of the photo.
    Ha! Yeah. He and his brother are going to need their own credits by the time I get this done.

Got my head dress done. Someone suggested I go as a mermaid for Halloween and who am I to argue.

Also, gratuitous cleavage.

My wig came in!

I started fiddling with a set of vambraces for Halloween and finally got around to assembling a base for my fluke so I could start sculpting. I've had to start cannibalizing chavant from other projects. Between this, my Ahsoka sculpt, and class projects I'm running out fast.

Got the first layer of clay down for my fluke.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Keep going! You can do this!

Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for the support and encouragement, it really helps.
    Third pass is over half done, building up thickness, leveling it out, and cleaning up the ridges. I've run out of chavant again so now I have to wait until I can buy some more before I can finish the other half. Hopefully I can start cleaning the edges up and the shape, making sure it's symmetrical soon cause it's a little crooked, before adding in some detail.

Does anyone know the average recommended thickness for a fluke? I found one for the scales but haven't come across one to go by when sculpting the fluke.

Loving the tail and accessories freyamaat. I look forward to seeing the finished product looks amazing so far!!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Does anyone know the average recommended thickness for a fluke? I found one for the scales but haven't come across one to go by when sculpting the fluke.

I’m going to say that in places mine may have gotten 1/2 inch thick on the sculpt, but I am not sure if they are supposed to be that thick because I haven’t seen silicone tails up close in person.

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    Loving the tail and accessories freyamaat. I look forward to seeing the finished product looks amazing so far!!
    Thank you! I'm anxious to get back and keep working on it.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel

the thicker it is the heaver it will be and use more silicone. I recommend using a clay or pasta roller machine. you can roll out sheets of clay that are even thicknesses. I found mine at a Goodwill store for like $5 with out all the attachments but one with the attachments will be about $10-$15 at a second hand store. But its worth the investment.
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Clara View Post
    the thicker it is the heaver it will be and use more silicone. I recommend using a clay or pasta roller machine. you can roll out sheets of clay that are even thicknesses. I found mine at a Goodwill store for like $5 with out all the attachments but one with the attachments will be about $10-$15 at a second hand store. But its worth the investment.
    Shite, yeah that's a good idea...

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidSolstice's Avatar
    Did you finish it?

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSolstice View Post
    Did you finish it?
    Not yet. Finals hit and bow I'm having to wait on third or fourth semester to do fiberglass molds for both the body, the dorsal, and the fluke. And now I'm having to remake the body mold so I'm waiting on plaster bandages. And I'm going to need expanding foam.

Got a couple of friends to help recast my legs and torso. Currently reinforcing it and we All g off the ankles. Then I need to get my hands on some expanding foam. Name:  FB_IMG_1518221840301.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  76.1 KBName:  FB_IMG_1518222007118.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  98.4 KB