Thread: Sinking

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel

Sinking

Hello! I've heard a lot about weights and belts and dive shops. I was wondering if there are any other ways to sink? I don't have a lot of issue getting down, but staying down is another story. I can stay down ok when I'm moving, my tail likes to float up ( and take me with it) from time to time. I have a fabric Eco from Mertailor.
    Also seem to have an issue laying flat, both in and out of tail, in the water.
    Thanks!!
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I only have the floating up problem when I'm using my fin fun monofin. Just the normal exhale method works for me when I'm not using the fin fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaspray Mermaid View Post
    Hello! I've heard a lot about weights and belts and dive shops. I was wondering if there are any other ways to sink? I don't have a lot of issue getting down, but staying down is another story. I can stay down ok when I'm moving, my tail likes to float up ( and take me with it) from time to time. I have a fabric Eco from Mertailor.
    Also seem to have an issue laying flat, both in and out of tail, in the water.
    Thanks!!
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

The alternative could be using a monofin, which weights a bit more (for example a fiber glass monofin).
    Please note that those monofins are a lot stronger and therefore you need a lot more power.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I have the same problem. I can only stay down when I am moving! Unless I put weights inside my tail.

Me too btw.

You guys could decorate a weight belt with fishnet, shells, etc. You could fashion it into mermaid look skirt.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    If possible, you can swim in deeper waters.

It is normal to be buoyant up to a depth of ~5m (this is the zone freedivers try to traverse quickly to preserve energy),
    in a depth of 5 to 10m, you will be neutrally buoyant, meaning you don't float up anymore and stay where you are without moving.
    10m+ the freefall zone begins.

So if you have access to a diving tower or lake, you can try this.
    For shallower water, strategically placed weights are the only option sadly.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    for me I dont find weight belts work, the float I experience comes from my fluke. so when I had a weight belt, I still floated up. But having the weight down in my thigh/ankle area works best for me

One of the best ways to get better at controlling your buoyancy is just to practice. It takes a while but it does pay off. Start off by practicing a basic feet first surface dive without your tail and get comfortable moving around under water, even if its only a little. After a while you will be able to do more under water. It's important to practice skills without your tail on to get a better understanding of how your body feels and moves in the water without it.